Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image quality will be really similar between cameras until you get to high iso (this includes the K20). I still think that the K20 is hard to beat for the price it is right now, but if you want video and the other little things that they threw in on the K7, then go for it.

I think there are a few bugs being worked out yet on the K7 -- rushed out too fast and so there are some problem cameras out there.

08-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Here in Canada the K-7 can be had for that price, but not the D300 which goes for $1800.
At Henrys, you're correct. On the other hand, The Camera Store in Calgary has the d300 for $1600. The k-7 is $1500.
08-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I am currently looking to be adopted.
sorry i have only one princess

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
OK, so you're looking to start building a system from scratch? What are your priorities? What do you shoot? What did you like or dislike about the K20D system? What is your budget?
i am no pro, photography is just a passion, i shoot normal every day pics, which is on average 100 pics a year
and yes i have put myself in a start over position, final $ ammount is not an issue, getting a quality, durable, reliable system in my priority.
K20D is a great camera , but is fustrating to wait on focus lock, and having everyone asking why i taking so long to take a picture
so i ask again, if you were willing to shell out the extra cash, and you had no system, but yet with all the photo experience that you have now, would you go with Pentax or Nikon

Dave
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i shoot normal every day pics, which is on average 100 pics a year
Are you missing a zero or two there? If I only shot 100 photos a year I wouldn't even buy a system, I'd just borrow whatever camera was near enough to use. Otherwise spending $2000 or more on a new system means $20 a photo... which just doesn't make sense.

But assuming you mean 100 a month or 10,000 a year or something...

K20D is a great camera , but is fustrating to wait on focus lock, and having everyone asking why i taking so long to take a picture
To get an excellent shot people must have a modicum of patience. Not just for focus but exposure compensation, framing, perspective etc. So it has been for time immemorial.

To get an OK shot or snapshot any system will do, and I wouldn't even necessarily recommend an SLR.

if you were willing to shell out the extra cash, and you had no system, but yet with all the photo experience that you have now, would you go with Pentax or Nikon
If money was no object I'd buy a K-7, FA31, FA43, FA77, A50/1.2, DA12-24, DA*50-135 and a good macro lens. Then I'd buy a Hasselblad H3DII-50 with 28/4, 100/2.2 and 210/4.

As it is, I am perfectly happy with the K20D, Vivitar/Komine 28/2, FA43, FA77, K50/1.2, DA12-24, DA55-300 and Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro.

08-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
Forum Member

Define "better"...

Whether or not the K-7 is better than the D300 depends on what you consider important in your buying decision.

K-7 is smaller than the D300. Is that better?

K-7 has a more dampened shutter/mirror than the D300. Is that better?

K-7 standard focusing screen is easier to manual focus than D300. Is that better?

K-7 has interchangeable focus screens; the D300 does not. Is that better?

K-7 mounts nearly every Pentax lens produced since 1952 (including the much revered DA Limited primes); the D300 does not. Is that better?

K-7 adds image stabilization to every lens mounted on it; the D300 does not. Is that better?

K-7 with DA* 55/1.4 offer a full weather-resistant shooting rig for a mere USD$ 1950; the D300 does not. Is that better?

K-7 means that you don't give a monkey's toss whether or not other photographers consider you to be anything other than an amateur or hobbyist. Is that better?

If any of the above are important to you, you'll come to terms with both the limitations and advantages of a Pentax K-7 system. Pentax can be said to be an "acquired taste". However, if you place great importance on blazing fast AF performance, full control of Dark Frame Substraction or great flexibility with proprietary flash lighting, then you're destined to become a Nikon man.

And yes, I once used to shoot with a Nikon system, albeit film. I tried to like the D300 when it first came out but that capable, large brick with its' plastic-barreled, extremely short focus-throw DX Nikkor lenses just wasn't for me.
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pawzitiv Quote
Whether or not the K-7 is better than the D300 depends on what you consider important in your buying decision.

K-7 is smaller than the D300. Is that better?
well i have biggish hands, the K20D felt small, but with grip felt too big

K-7 has a more dampened shutter/mirror than the D300. Is that better?
no

K-7 standard focusing screen is easier to manual focus than D300. Is that better?
no

K-7 has interchangeable focus screens; the D300 does not. Is that better?
dont care for

K-7 mounts nearly every Pentax lens produced since 1952 (including the much revered DA Limited primes); the D300 does not. Is that better?
no

K-7 adds image stabilization to every lens mounted on it; the D300 does not. Is that better?
personally i find having IS in lens also gives IS in viewfinder

K-7 with DA* 55/1.4 offer a full weather-resistant shooting rig for a mere USD$ 1950; the D300 does not. Is that better?
i prefer the sigma 30/1.4

K-7 means that you don't give a monkey's toss whether or not other photographers consider you to be anything other than an amateur or hobbyist. Is that better?
not sure what you mean

If any of the above are important to you, you'll come to terms with both the limitations and advantages of a Pentax K-7 system. Pentax can be said to be an "acquired taste". However, if you place great importance on blazing fast AF performance, full control of Dark Frame Substraction or great flexibility with proprietary flash lighting, then you're destined to become a Nikon man.
blazing fast Af yes, not sure what the rest means

And yes, I once used to shoot with a Nikon system, albeit film. I tried to like the D300 when it first came out but that capable, large brick with its' plastic-barreled, extremely short focus-throw DX Nikkor lenses just wasn't for me.
i am not sure whats going on, if its that i am getting cold feet.
i bought the K7 since 7 July and its been sitting in my daughters apartment since, i wont see it for another 2 weeks and the return date is the 16 August. according to my original post, i am worried about all the negative things i have been reading about the K7. or is it that i am over reading it
And then to top it off, i cannot get a spare battery to buy for the K7

Dave
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #22

Since I own a d300 and have used the k7 for a few days ,here are some of my findings.Using flash photography.the d300 wins.Other than that I would pick the k7.

08-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
Forum Member

i bought the K7 since 7 July and its been sitting in my daughters apartment since, i wont see it for another 2 weeks and the return date is the 16 August. according to my original post, i am worried about all the negative things i have been reading about the K7. or is it that i am over reading it
You're over-reading it. The internet is obviously insanely useful if you know how to interpret what you see, but it magnifies everything, and adds tons of noise in the process... like taking a picture at absurdly high ISO

I mean, seriously, buying a new camera, and then returning it without even seeing it, based on random rumors and obsessing on the internet?

I suppose if your reasons for buying it in the first place were so ephemeral, maybe you'd feel secure "going with the masses" and buying a canon/nikon. But that very likely wouldn't actually give you a better camera, it would simply give you the comfort of being in a large crowd.

Or if you're simply concerned about early-adopter glitches, return the camera and wait a while until you can buy a later shipment from a local dealer.
08-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
Forum Member

Do what feels right...

Dave
Dave;

Every newly released camera body from every manufacturer instigates a whole flurry of negative user experiences on the various photography forums (simply google "Nikon D300 problems" and you'll see what I mean). Cameras now are like Microsoft .. the true beta testing lies in the hands of the everyday end user, long after the product is released. Also recognize that not every camera can satisfy every photographer in every shooting situation.

If unavailability of a spare battery is a deal breaker for you, let me know. I picked up mine last week here in Calgary.

No one here should attempt to win you over on the K-7. Just go with what makes YOU feel comfortable. What's important is that you get a camera (regardless of brand name) and go capture some splendid images.
08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Dave
I suggest you reserve your judgement when you get to shoot with it. just relax !!! if there is any assurance what to expect from the K-7, just look at all the beautiful photos posted here. not the ones whom deliberately make their photos ugly just to try a noise test.
08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
Since I own a d300 and have used the k7 for a few days ,here are some of my findings.Using flash photography.the d300 wins.Other than that I would pick the k7.
i hate flash photography

QuoteOriginally posted by snogglethorpe Quote
You're over-reading it. The internet is obviously insanely useful if you know how to interpret what you see, but it magnifies everything, and adds tons of noise in the process... like taking a picture at absurdly high ISO

I mean, seriously, buying a new camera, and then returning it without even seeing it, based on random rumors and obsessing on the internet?

I suppose if your reasons for buying it in the first place were so ephemeral, maybe you'd feel secure "going with the masses" and buying a canon/nikon. But that very likely wouldn't actually give you a better camera, it would simply give you the comfort of being in a large crowd.

Or if you're simply concerned about early-adopter glitches, return the camera and wait a while until you can buy a later shipment from a local dealer.
i just came off the phone with my daughter, she sounded a little pissed that i asked her to stop studing for her first year exams to try out the K7, and laughing she told me that the pics are looking good,and everything seems to be working. and reminded me she is not doing photography, she is learning to become an aerospace engineer. and with that said, i felt a bit better and decided that my hand is in the fire already and i will wait it out, so until then i am going to have to stop reading reviews on the K7

Dave
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
Damn Brit

Dave, something else to reassure you. When in the past couple of years hasn't there been negative reports about a new Pentax DSLR?
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Dave, something else to reassure you. When in the past couple of years hasn't there been negative reports about a new Pentax DSLR?
thats true!
but they really had my head going all day
Dave
08-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't compare cameras but systems. Since you don't like flash photography then one big plus for Nikon is out the window. Camera bodies come and go but typically the rest of the equipment stays.

Will you need very long glass which is currently not available in the Pentax line up?

Do you mind paying through the nose for each image stabilised lens or would you rather have every lens image stabilised? Isn't it great that with each refinement of the Pentax in-body image stabilisation all your lenses become a bit more useful yet again?

Having said all that, if I were you I'd stick with Pentax for no other reason than to be able to share lenses with the princess (not to save money, you know what I mean).

Last edited by Class A; 08-05-2009 at 05:06 AM.
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My original K-7 had the green line, but it showed up under such specific conditions and ones that I wasn't going to put the camera in very often, that I seriously thought about just keeping it. But I didn't, I returned it for an exchange. During the almost week that it took Amazon to ship me the new one, I read all the posts about problems, etc. and decided I was mental to have done an exchange instead of a refund. I seriously considered shipping the new one back un-opened. Of course, I'm not able to do that, so I took the camera out of it's box, played around with it a bit and discovered the second one is a wonderful camera, and no green line anywhere, under any condition I could come up with.

It's normal to panic when people are talking about problems. Just keep it all in perspective - there are far more people who have no problems with their cameras (like my second one). So do not take counsel of your fears (to quote a variety of people, I couldn't remember where this came from so googled it - take your pick of Patton, Stonewall Jackson, or Andrew Jackson. I'm sure there's more people who have used some variation of it). The camera is VERY nice!