Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Trying to upgrade firmware on pentax k100D

Hey Guys,
I'm new here as far as posting, but have been reading your posts for quite sometime.. I have learned alot from you all.. But I have come upon a problem I can't seem to resolve..
Trying to update firmware to Version 102. I dont have a standard 8gb SD card to download the firmware,no one sells them anymore... and as you know part of the update is to fix it so the camera will reconize (sdhc). How can I get this firmware on my camera. Tried putting the download on an sdhc memory card, but the camera reads there is a memory card error. It doesn't reconize the sdhc card. Please help.. There has to be another way to get this firmware.. At least I hope there is. Love to hear your thoughts..
Thanks, Lisa

08-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might be able to find a smaller card that is not SDHC. Look at the 512MB cards you can pick up at target or something and use that to upgrade your camera.
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lisad620 Quote
Hey Guys,
I'm new here as far as posting, but have been reading your posts for quite sometime.. I have learned alot from you all.. But I have come upon a problem I can't seem to resolve..
Trying to update firmware to Version 102. I dont have a standard 8gb SD card to download the firmware,no one sells them anymore... and as you know part of the update is to fix it so the camera will reconize (sdhc). How can I get this firmware on my camera. Tried putting the download on an sdhc memory card, but the camera reads there is a memory card error. It doesn't reconize the sdhc card. Please help.. There has to be another way to get this firmware.. At least I hope there is. Love to hear your thoughts..
Thanks, Lisa
I had the same problem as well with my K100D.But some nice people from this forum came to the rescue.Firstly you need to go to the Pentax site and download the firmware 1.02 somewhere on your computers hard drive(e.g.;My documents).Now get a blank formatted SD card with the biggest memory(not the SDHC Card).I used a 2GB SD card for mine.Anyway,put the SD card into your computers card reader.Now with the downloaded firmware,put your mouse arrow on the file.Right click the mouse and you will come up with;OPEN,CUT,COPY PASTE etc.Now scroll down that list and click on Send To.You should then come up with :removable disk E,F,G,where your SD card should be.Then click onto the it.You should then see the firnware been downloaded to your SD Card.Once the download is completed,put the SD Card into your camera.Make sure the batteries are fully charged.While holding the menu button down,turn on your camera's on,off switch to on.Then looking on the LCD screen,you can then follow the instructions from there.Once the download has completed,Your SDHC card should work.Hope this helps.Good Luck!
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #4

You don't need an 8GB card for the firmware. Just use the SD card that you normally use with your K100D. Make sure that you place the file in the main directory (the first window you see when you open the card on your computer) and not in the DCIM folder.

08-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
You don't need an 8GB card for the firmware. Just use the SD card that you normally use with your K100D. Make sure that you place the file in the main directory (the first window you see when you open the card on your computer) and not in the DCIM folder.
Yep! the firmware update isn't that large to need an 8GB card.
What you should make sure is that you have a fully charged battery when doing the upgrade as you wouldn't want the upgrade to hang in the middle and black-out because the battery died.
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums Lisad620 as I just noticed it's your first post when I tried to exit this thread so I went back!
03-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
Inactive Account

hello

hello i have a pentax k100d and the firmware verson is v 1.00 i have tried to update the firware as described throughout the net and indeed from the pentax instructions, when i hold menu and turn the camera on it displays the firmware and then does not update , could anyone please help me as i have larger sd cards i wish to use.

fankoo Peeps !!
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've moved this thread to the DSLR Forum where it is more likely to get a good answer...

Mike

03-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mmanley Quote
hello i have a pentax k100d and the firmware verson is v 1.00 i have tried to update the firware as described throughout the net and indeed from the pentax instructions, when i hold menu and turn the camera on it displays the firmware and then does not update , could anyone please help me as i have larger sd cards i wish to use.

fankoo Peeps !!
Do you have a K100D Super? It says Super on the front. If so the 1.02 firmware is not for your camera.
03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lisad620 Quote
Hey Guys,
Thanks, Lisa
Hi, Lisa,

Assuming you have the proper firmware/camera combo (see other posts) SDHC is above 2Gb so if your camera does not read SDHC, you'll need a 2Gb or less card. You only need about 10Mb or so for the firmware update. If you lack a card reader you can connect your camera to your computer via USB and it will become an external drive (like a card reader would). Pay careful heed to the instructions to have FULLY charged batteries when you do this.

Welcome and good luck..