Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Feedback on the K20D

Hello
My name is Greg and I am thinking about purchasing the K20D. I shoot landscape and sports (surfing). I also like to print large. Is the K20D a camera that you would recommend?
God Bless
greg

08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look at the K7 instead for the sports/surfing aspect and get a DA*300/4 lens.
The K20D is slower at AF-C.
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by travelphotographer Quote
Hello
My name is Greg and I am thinking about purchasing the K20D. I shoot landscape and sports (surfing). I also like to print large. Is the K20D a camera that you would recommend?

greg
I use the K20D for surf with the 300 F2.8 with a 1.4x TC. The actual speeds in surfing are not that great so the relatively slow AF of the K20 does not matter

Last edited by cwood; 08-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.
08-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I use the K20D for surf with the 300 F2.8 with a 1.4x TC. The actual speeds in surfing are not that great so the relatively slow AF of the K20 does not matter
Although I agree that AF speed may not matter so much for surfing (when shooting from land or a boat) I think that FPS is important. I never had a K20D, as I went from the K10D to the K7. I think the improved FPS in the K7 is a good thing!!

Please excuse the motion blur on the first, and the noise on the second shot - I am still learning to use this camera!

Attached Images

08-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Downtheline1973 Quote
Although I agree that AF speed may not matter so much for surfing (when shooting from land or a boat) I think that FPS is important. I never had a K20D, as I went from the K10D to the K7. I think the improved FPS in the K7 is a good thing!!

Please excuse the motion blur on the first, and the noise on the second shot - I am still learning to use this camera!
hey ... another San Diego Pentaxian. How 'bout that. The shots I posted were from Del Mar, Torrey Pines, Oceanside and La Jolla.

I agree the higher frame rate will be a good thing for surf but my biggest gripe with the K20 was the buffer ... which I would fill far to quickly sometimes. When I would go out with a client you sometimes wait 10 min for them to catch a wave and when they get it the action happens in a hurry. A few times I missed "The Shot" because my buffer was full. I'm hoping the K-7 buffer is a little better. I would sacrifice a couple frames/sec to avoid that problem again.
08-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d can work

chasing light...
08-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #7

You have a good point. By the way it looks, and I have not tried to verify this, the K7 seems to have the ability to shoot quite a few pictures continuously. The official buffer specs are similar to the k20 specs, but check out this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65382-k-7-fps-put-test.html

Looks like as long as you have all the processing options like shadow correction, CA correction and such off, you can shoot a lot of continuous pics. Does anyone else have experience with this?

I shot those at hospitals - let me know when you are in La Jolla next and I'll bring out the K7 - if you want to play with it! But you'll have to let me try out that 300 2.8