Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
When clear 8GB Sandisk Extreme III is inserted into K7, *** quality and 1536x1024 settings, K7 writes on display that maximum time for recording is about 15 minutes.
But when I start recording, only 7min 23sec is available. So, as You are writing, falconeye, it is may be because of calculation K7 does before recording, that
8GB is not enough. So I will try some 16GB card, probably I will be able record
4GB movie.

08-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by therion Quote
But when I start recording, only 7min 23sec is available. So, as You are writing, falconeye, it is may be because of calculation K7 does before recording, that 8GB is not enough.
This isn't logical.
If the calculation is done before recording, then it must stop at 7:23 latest, because this is where the pre-calculated 4GB file size barrier will be reached. Whatever be the card size.
08-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #18

I was in toysrus today getting a pushchair and at the till they had sandisk 4gb class 2 cheapy cards for £8.I got one for the missus to use in her p&s,when I got home I stuck it in the K7 just to see and it recorded 3mins and let me do bursts of 14 images,Now for a cheapo card I was very impressed and I may nick it to use as a backup for my 3 extreme 3 cards ive got
08-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #19

Original Poster
Ok,so You Think, FalconEye,that I will not be able record movie with more length than 7min 23s to any card, because of that calculation K7 does with 1536x1024 *** quality settings? K7 calculate this ever as 4GB barrier before recording at this quality?

08-08-2009, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Ok,so You Think, FalconEye,that I will not be able record movie with more length than 7min 23s to any card, because of that calculation K7 does with 1536x1024 *** quality settings? K7 calculate this ever as 4GB barrier before recording at this quality?
Yes.

At most 7min 23s in 1536x1024 *** quality.
Whatever be your card.
Because K-7 checks size prior to a take only, not during recording.
If my logic holds true.
08-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This isn't logical.
If the calculation is done before recording, then it must stop at 7:23 latest, because this is where the pre-calculated 4GB file size barrier will be reached. Whatever be the card size.
Even for instance on a 16 GB card ?

If so, thi is something that need to be changed on a firmware review as soon as possible
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
this is something that need to be changed on a firmware review as soon as possible
Would be a cosmetic change.

What really need to be changed on a firmware review is that another 4GB file is opened as soon as the first one is closed. This would extend single clip recording time to 30min for large enough cards (16 GB and larger).

08-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Would be a cosmetic change.

What really need to be changed on a firmware review is that another 4GB file is opened as soon as the first one is closed. This would extend single clip recording time to 30min for large enough cards (16 GB and larger).
I remember reading somewhere that the 4 GB limit has to do with tarrifs. Apparently the import taxes would be higher if the K7 allowed for files larger than 4GB, as this would put it into the category of video cameras.

I would assume that allowing the camera to start recording a second 4 GB "block" immediately after the first would be seen as the same thing as allowing 4GB+ in one go.

Can someone clarify?
08-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Can someone clarify?
Yes, me

Devices which are classed as a camcorder are those capable of recording more than 30 minutes of single sequence video and 800 x 600px or more.

The EU import duty for camcorders is 4.9%, in contrast to 0% for a dSLR body (because considered an IT device) and 6.7% for lenses.

So, the 480p mode could be unrestricted (which it isn't).

And the 720p and 1024p modes could be restricted to 30 min rather than 4GB (which they aren't). And why I wrote that a full 16GB card could be used above.

Don't believe if Pentax claims that the current limitations are due to EU import duties. They clearly aren't!!
08-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #25

Original Poster
Dear Falconeye, may be, You, as Pentax tester, could ask Pentax to change firmware, so it could be possible to record longer movies! ThanX!
08-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #26

Original Poster
And why Am I asking for this? I have bought K7 as upgrade from K10D, mostly for it´s video capabilities. I want make some mountain films. I´m very satisfied with K7 video performance.
MotionJPEG is very good codec for films because of sharp picture quality and no loss of details and colors when filming very difficult scenes, such as sunrise. But I´m limited with length - 7minutes 23sec is not enought. I need min. 15minutes. I will edit it in movie editor to speed up it to cca 40seconds.
08-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I need min. 15minutes. I will edit it in movie editor to speed up it to cca 40seconds.
I don't want to argue your request for longer videos. I back it up, actually.

But a time-lapse video (as you describe here) would be best created in low-burst continuous mode started out of live view (to avoid the mirror movement). It is a 2% wear on the shutter but worth it: better noise rendition and better resolution to create stunning 1080p@60Hz from.

An even more compressed time-lapse video would use an external trigger box (as the internal time-interval trigger is limited to 99 exposures only).
08-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #28
Banned

08-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So, for instance, to make a 7 minute video we need a 8 gb card because it will record only half (4gb), right ?
08-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
jogiba, what exactly did you want to say when copying a page from the manual w/o further comment?

You already got netuser confused (@netuser: no, any card with 4GB or more makes 7:23).

This page tells the (minimum) recording capacity of a card for video, not single clip lengths.