Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D metering query

Hi
Is it possible to use matrix metering when using a M type lens, obviously having set the A ring for permission, the manual is not clear on this point.
I normally use Spot but wondered if it is possible to use matrix?
regards

08-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, it is not possible.
As I understand is you set matrix on dial, it'll use center weighted.
08-03-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, it's possible, with a little trick : you have to short all the mount's contacts (including the recessed "A" contact!). this way, the camera will think it has an "A" lens mounted, and enable Matrix and PTTL features.

But doing this will not give the body two important information : focus distance & real aperture.
These inormation are used in the Matrix metering, but to what extent, I don't know...

Anyway, all I know is that my tests using M lenses, Matrix metering and P-TTL flash all worked and produced satisfying pictures.
Maybe the results would have been different with a real A lens, but I still have to do the test...