Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Wake up Nikon and Canon - Bashing Petnax K-7 is not the answer

Its so funny how people defend Nikon and Canon just from pride. I too was involoved in the Nikon and Canon pride groups but times change and so do world champions. I still see people talk of Bjon Borg and John Mcenroe as being better then Roger Frederer. Maybe they were, but for now, Roger plays better tennis. I recall when Ferrari and Lamborghini were the only two sports cars in contention for the best sports car discussion. Porsche owners always used to sit back and lough while they enjoyed their cars in performance and reliability. Then came Audi with the R8 and many would be Ferrari and Lamborghini owners switched. audi r8 - Google Images

No one in the right state of mind will buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Audi R8 by reading reviews or looking at specs only, or ask others about their test drive experiences they will go test drive them first. Its time Nikon and Canon owners stopped the bashing of the Pentax and tried the camera first hand. That is what I did and I made the switch as did my daughter. Bash the Pentax k-7 all you want, but once you personally actually take pictures with it, then you will understand that the negativity you see from some people will not mean anything because in most cases, you will be taking greater pictures with the Pentax k-7.

08-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who's doing all the bashing? On the Canon forums I frequent Pentax usually gets a fair bit of respect for its strengths. If anything, it's many of the "Pentaxians" that see fit to bash other brands -- just look at the sheer # of threads trying to prove the Pentax gear is better.
08-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The danger for someone like me in the UK, is that the Pentax K-7 is more expensive than Nikon's equivalent camera; the D300. One of the huge attractions of the K20D (or indeed the K10D) and indeed the Pentax brand was the excellent image quality and features for half or third of the price of a Canon 50D or Nikon D300. Similarly, lens prices seemed on the cheaper side, so it offered a suitable path into photography. That is no longer the case for the Pentax semi-pro offerings - lens prices have rocketed and the K-7 body (as mentioned) is more expensive than the D300 here in the UK.

The teething problems and infancy failures of some K-7s have been well documented on the web, so people are right to be cautious and question the K-7 before parting £1200 for a new body that might not offer them anything more than quicker FPS and improved autofocus.

For someone like me, a proud K20D owner, it would be good to know I have a solid upgrade path from my K20D - but unfortunately I don't. There is nothing that special about the K-7 to warrant spending that amount of cash. The price rises of lenses here in the UK have further damnpened my enthusiasm for the Pentax brand, and whilst the K20D has a long future for me, I will consider a brand change unless there is a significant upgrade path in the way of a K-8 or a K-1 or a K-7 Mk2.

People talk of weight, size and "it feels good in my hand" - well, it's a lot of money just to be able to say that. My K20D feels great in my hand, but I'm not going on and on about it.
08-03-2009, 05:12 AM   #4

Well, the current UK prices are more then slightly insane. But let's assume for a second that prices will stabilise over the next year or two.

The K-7 is a definite upgrade over the K20D, but you're right - it probably does not warrant an instant upgrade. Just like a Nikon D90 vs D80 or D300 vs D200 - if you own the older model, it's hard to justify spending a lot more for an incremental upgrade. Much better to wait for the next model up. This isn't a fault on Pentax's part, it's just how electronics development and economics works.

Having said that, taking into account recent EU/UK lens pricing, I am more then slightly concerned about the future of the system.

08-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The nature of forums, despite the product or topic is to fan-boy the hell out what you own (otherwise why would you be on that thread?) as well as defend that product no matter what...I think it does more to quell buyer's remorse than anything else. This isn't the rule for everyone, but it seems to be a trend no matter which forum you visit...cameras, cars, tennis racquets, guitars, etc, etc, etc.

Jason
Pentax owner (among other makes)
Volkswagen driver
Head tennis racquet user
Telecaster player.
08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #6

I drooled over the Canon 40 and 50Ds, until I "discovered" the K20D! Couldn't be happier! Have done some shooting with a friend's 30D. Much prefer the Pentax system, controls, menu options, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.
08-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WalterGA:

Having opted for a 40D over a K20D last year by a VERY NARROW call. I used the 40D using for almost a year exactly, I miss a few things but nothing I cannot live without for now...first I miss having three custom configs you could save and also miss a much better Live View function.

But I so love the images i get and those danged Limiteds I am not missing those things much at all. Still the three custom configs really saved time for some places or things I like to shoot.

08-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Who's doing all the bashing? On the Canon forums I frequent Pentax usually gets a fair bit of respect for its strengths. If anything, it's many of the "Pentaxians" that see fit to bash other brands -- just look at the sheer # of threads trying to prove the Pentax gear is better.
its many pentaxians, canonites, nikonians, leicaphiles, etc, etc. dont try and downplay any one brands legion of fan boys, because they exist everywhere, particularly in forums.
08-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I personally think that some of the K-7 complaints here are coming from people that haven't gotten within 100 miles of one. At least I hope so!

Anyhow, Pentax deserves to be ripped on a few things IMO.
08-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its many pentaxians, canonites, nikonians, leicaphiles, etc, etc. dont try and downplay any one brands legion of fan boys, because they exist everywhere, particularly in forums.
Have to agree they are everywhere. And when I read them here I remind myself about the same thoughtless drones from the Canon boards who would never really look at the pro's and con's of each brand.

Same goes for those most annoying aPpLe zealots...sorry had to add that one just because...hehehehe...btw, I am completely platform agnostic...just gimme gear that works and works well.

But I also have to agree with Pingflood...there are a fair number of threads from folks trying to suport the Pentax brand, which is fun...until, it gets nasty, as many of those threads do, for the reasons I mention at the beginning of this post...I mean cripes it is just gear!!
08-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I personally think that some of the K-7 complaints here are coming from people that haven't gotten within 100 miles of one. At least I hope so!

While I have not held one, or bought one...there is zero doubt there are production issues, in fact Pentax admitted it explicitly in a press release. I just think that once those issues are resolved and firmware is finetuned a bit more, the K7 will be a wonderful example for the DSLR market to strive to keep up with.
08-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

People can say whatever they want about Pentax, or any brand for that matter, because at the end of the day it's the pictures that matter. Anyone who feels the necessary urge to judge a photographer by their camera is most likely just feeling threatened, and I don't tend to take much notice of people like that.
08-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petercrane Quote
People can say whatever they want about Pentax, or any brand for that matter, because at the end of the day it's the pictures that matter. Anyone who feels the necessary urge to judge a photographer by their camera is most likely just feeling threatened, and I don't tend to take much notice of people like that.
That's a very good point, well said.
08-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #14
Not Registered

whining and bashing is bidirectional and everyone has done it. There are no intellectual properties on it. If you dont like Canikon fanboys ignore them. My advice would be to ignore also the Pentax fanboys. Ignore them all, ignore me.....please ignore me!!!
08-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote

sad but true. usually most of them based their complaints from the results from somebody else's ugly result. that shouldn't be considered the point of conclusion but rather serve as point of reference. at the end, the one thing that should matter is your own results.