Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

who are you?

go take pictures!

you're not doing society any good with these posts.

QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
Its so funny how people defend Nikon and Canon just from pride. I too was involoved in the Nikon and Canon pride groups but times change and so do world champions. I still see people talk of Bjon Borg and John Mcenroe as being better then Roger Frederer. Maybe they were, but for now, Roger plays better tennis. I recall when Ferrari and Lamborghini were the only two sports cars in contention for the best sports car discussion. Porsche owners always used to sit back and lough while they enjoyed their cars in performance and reliability. Then came Audi with the R8 and many would be Ferrari and Lamborghini owners switched. audi r8 - Google Images

No one in the right state of mind will buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Audi R8 by reading reviews or looking at specs only, or ask others about their test drive experiences they will go test drive them first. Its time Nikon and Canon owners stopped the bashing of the Pentax and tried the camera first hand. That is what I did and I made the switch as did my daughter. Bash the Pentax k-7 all you want, but once you personally actually take pictures with it, then you will understand that the negativity you see from some people will not mean anything because in most cases, you will be taking greater pictures with the Pentax k-7.

08-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
The teething problems and infancy failures of some K-7s have been well documented on the web, so people are right to be cautious and question the K-7 before parting £1200 for a new body that might not offer them anything more than quicker FPS and improved autofocus.
To be honest, as a perspective K-7 buyer, I see more negative stuff here on this forum that makes me question if I want to buy a K-7 then anywhere else!

We have a multiple page busted sensor thread. A litany of things that need to be fixed in the firmware threads. A disturbing story about every shot with a new K-7 being overexposed (followed by the seemingly reassuring comment, "Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one") We have the multiple high iso "complaint" threads and the "why are there speckles" in my photos thread. We have the grip is not big enough threads. Finally, we have a giant multipage advertisment for RiceHigh's anti-Pentax blog.

(And I am just looking back one page!)

I don't need to go anywhere else to find Pentax bashing. It is all right here!
08-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeus Quote
To be honest, as a perspective K-7 buyer, I see more negative stuff here on this forum that makes me question if I want to buy a K-7 then anywhere else!

We have a multiple page busted sensor thread. A disturbing story about every shot with a new K-7 being overexposed (followed by the seemingly reassuring comment, "Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one") We have the multiple high iso "complaint" threads and the "why are there speckles" in my photos thread. We have the grip is not big enough threads. Finally, we have a giant multipage advertisment for RiceHigh's anti-Pentax blog.

hahahaha...sure sounds awful, doesn't it? However I do like the frank discussions here about the issues. Mostly w/o arguments. I had not run across the thread about the grip...gotta run out now but have to read that one when i get back.

I sense a lot of people feel let down and somewhat embarrassed for trusting Pentax to really deliver on the K7. And while there are 1000s of folks perfectly happy, it sure seems there are also fewer but still, 1000s of bodies which have gone back as well.
08-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Banned

We have a multiple page busted sensor thread. A litany of things that need to be fixed in the firmware threads. A disturbing story about every shot with a new K-7 being overexposed (followed by the seemingly reassuring comment, "Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one") We have the multiple high iso "complaint" threads and the "why are there speckles" in my photos thread. We have the grip is not big enough threads. Finally, we have a giant multipage advertisment for RiceHigh's anti-Pentax blog.

this is a pentax forum, what did you expect? to only find the positives? we discuss everything, good and bad. if you want the real story look here. its your fault if you ignore the fact that the camera is brand new, and with any brand and any camera there are bound to be problems and complaints. if you only look at the bad and not the multiple threads showing just how great the k7 is, and decide to not purchase one good for you, or bad. its not bashing a brand to discuss all possible problems or talk about things that should have been or could be instead of what is. your definition of 'bashing' is seriously flawed.

and as for ricehigh. his name and his blog as long as it exists will be mentioned here. period. you havent been here anywhere near long enough to know the backstory with ricehigh.

08-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is a pentax forum, what did you expect? to only find the positives? we discuss everything, good and bad.
I appreciate the discussions on this forum and I am not attempting to disparage the open commentary that details both the positive and negative aspects of the Pentax camera systems. That is why I come here and spend 40 minutes to an hour a day (over the last few months) reading everything (both positive and negative.) Out of all the vendor fan forums out there, this is by far the most level headed and informative community I have found, which is in actuality a plus for getting involved with Pentax.

I was just replying to the OP's original sentiment in saying that you will find more disconcerting information here then any other place on the net being these are "fans" of the system not "fanboys" of other systems making baseless rants.

When I look at the front page of the Pentax DSLR Discussion forum and see almost a quarter of the threads describing issues with the K-7 from users, I think I deserve the right to take pause, especially when considering an expensive electronics purchase.

I also read the positives and look at all the great pictures taken with the camera, which is why it is still at the top of my list and will probably be in my bad by the end of the month.

That being said, I am still awaiting the dpreview.

As for Ricehigh, I've done enough reading on the subject to get a general idea. Not that I needed to anyway. His blog speaks for itself and screams hater, which immediately means I won't be returning as I like to limit my research to semi-objective discussion.
08-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #21
Not Registered

Go to Canon-Nikon-Sony forums and you will find the same. Banding and sketchy movements on Nikon videos, back-frontfocus issues on Canonland. All systems have their share. The worrying thing with Pentax is that the DA* series born taunted and DA* has become "for stars of Digital Adjustment". The last review from the DA*55 makes more damage to Pentax image that all the negative comments on this place altogether. But hey, Hoya has to know what they are doing when they are sending 3 unchecked lenses to Dpreview to make a review. At least they are being honest.

At any case, I recommend you going to Fred Miranda and check on some threads on lenses from Canon. You will find quite typical the comment "this lens is awesome, it took me 4 copies but I got a really sharp lens"
08-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteQuote:
At any case, I recommend you going to Fred Miranda and check on some threads on lenses from Canon. You will find quite typical the comment "this lens is awesome, it took me 4 copies but I got a really sharp lens"
and that lens was likely made in Japan...:ugh:

08-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Go to Canon-Nikon-Sony forums and you will find the same. Banding and sketchy movements on Nikon videos, back-frontfocus issues on Canonland. All systems have their share. The worrying thing with Pentax is that the DA* series born taunted and DA* has become "for stars of Digital Adjustment". The last review from the DA*55 makes more damage to Pentax image that all the negative comments on this place altogether. But hey, Hoya has to know what they are doing when they are sending 3 unchecked lenses to Dpreview to make a review. At least they are being honest.
I am sure you are right. To be honest, I have trouble wading through most of the Canikon forums. They seem to appeal to a different demographic. Hard to explain, but after a few pages my brain hurts (and that has nothing to do with the loftiness of the conversation, lol.)

Concerning the DA* glass, If I was to go Pentax, I was planning on pairing a K-7 with the 16-50 and then pick up the 50-135 a few months later - but the reviews on Amazon for both are devastating (QC issues) and I am wondering if I should save money and just pick up the cheap WR lenses and wait for the next higher end zoom incarnations from Pentax.
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

^To be fair to RH, he may be a hater, but people like him keep Pentax honest. He also had quite a bit of K-7 info a while back that many of us here were thankful for.

I don't know the guy, but I'm sure he's probably as good a person as anyone that spends far too much time worrying about other people's equipment can be.
08-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
^To be fair to RH, he may be a hater, but people like him keep Pentax honest. He also had quite a bit of K-7 info a while back that many of us here were thankful for.

I don't know the guy, but I'm sure he's probably as good a person as anyone that spends far too much time worrying about other people's equipment can be.
what do you mean 'honest'? do you have any evidence that they are 'dishonest'? or have ever been? I am very confused as to what you are talking about, much less how ricehigh, who does nothing but gather other peoples info for himself has helped in this.
08-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cameras are tools and nothing more. Pick the one that works best for you, go forth, and take pictures. The one that works best for you, may not be the one that works best for someone else. Just be glad that variety exists among the various manufacturers so your chances of finding a tool that fits your needs is improved. Competition among the manufacturers benefits us all in the end. Nitpicking doesn't.
08-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

also, dont forget about the weird clacking noise when you turn the camera upside down topic !!!

also the one with the noisy photos at lower ISO, just because the owner set the sharpness at maximum.

what I observed so far is that a lot of people have expressed interest and confidence on the K-7 so much, that they started to feel more jumpy on the slightest of problems.

what I've read is that most problems involve user problems rather than the camera itself. dealing with noise for example. there is a reason why Pentax somehow prefers underexposure rather than blown up exposure. there is an advantage to it that some people don't know how to utilize. is it really a camera problem or is it just the user?

surely that there will be a quite number of bad copies, which is not really a ground or a concern for a massive product recall. every camera manufacturers have those. there is no perfect record for selling a camera without a defect. besides, you bought it with a warranty. others have store policies where you could return the gadget for a couple of weeks or a month and ask for a full/partial refund or exchange for a new one or something else if the camera doesn't work for you.
so there's no need to be all that edgy.

what I'm saying is that people should relax a bit, since you dont have the K-7 yet.
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what do you mean 'honest'? do you have any evidence that they are 'dishonest'? or have ever been? I am very confused as to what you are talking about, much less how ricehigh, who does nothing but gather other peoples info for himself has helped in this.
I meant that his constant criticism, even if it is totally absurd, might actually be good for Pentax users as it may actually make Pentax work harder to solve issues and/or stay ahead of the competition.
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #29
Banned

I meant that his constant criticism, even if it is totally absurd, might actually be good for Pentax users as it may actually make Pentax work harder to solve issues and/or stay ahead of the competition.
what evidence do you have that they aren't trying? and do you really believe his blog would make a difference to Hoya? he wrote a letter to Pentax Japan concerning his 'problems' and as far as I know, got no response.
08-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

well, I found that RH's "Canon 5D is the greatest camera ever" compliment is kinda nitpicking Pentax and pretty much dumb. I mean c'mon, 5D is an FF for christ's sake against an APS-C sensor. I believe he knows that for a fact, unless he is just bashing, playing dumb or just plainly ignorant about it. so in which category does RH fit in?

is it fair to say that the 5D sucks because the 645D is the best?