Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
what I'm saying is that people should relax a bit, since you dont have the K-7 yet.
I don't need to get a disease to know that I don't need or want it, and I doubt there are some want to shell out a lot of money only to find it a lemon.

My point in all this is not to bash the K-7, it's about what's next in the Pentax brand and what they currently offer which does not look promising and as such I'm holding onto my wad of money until the successor comes out.

By all means, it is a great camera I'm sure, it's just not for me personally over the K20D .

08-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
RH's
Don't think we should mention those initials.
08-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
I don't need to get a disease to know that I don't need or want it, and I doubt there are some want to shell out a lot of money only to find it a lemon.
well, this is prejudicial and a fallacy in a way. just because one person got a bad stomach from eating fish, does it mean that everybody would get sick from eating fish.

yours however is a preferential choice and not considered as a problem.
08-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I hate everyone equally.

It's funny because I got through fits of GAS and yesterday after doing some reading (instead of shooting) I figured that APS wasn't enough of a bump between u4/3 (despite the pictures I have shot) so my money-spending mind says, "go full-frame...then you have small sensor, jump to u4/3, jump to FF."

I hate my mind equally as well.

So at my local shop while picking up the 14-42 to go along with 17mm pancake for my E-P1, I broke down and said, "ok, let me the D700 and 5Dmk2 again."

So I handled them with some good glass and snapped a few pictures. I found that the ergos are better (for me) on my K20d - still. The D700 has an odd notch in the finger well and the 5Dmk2 creaks when you squeeze it. The AF was good but frankly not light years ahead of the Pentax...especially the Canon. And then I went back and looked at some images that I've shot over the past few weeks on a couple of location shoots, using all three of my "bodies" (DLux4, E-P1 and K20d).

The reality is that in fact I do get a "better" image out of each larger chip (duh!). But better isn't always better. One reason I like the E-P1 is that it gets a gritty noise that looks great to my eyes - much better than when small sensors are pushed hard. I can't get the detail that I see out of the K20d, and I can't get detail out of the K20d that I see in an a900 or 5Dmk2 file. And that's...ok. For my use I only see it when I'm obsessing about things or doing a severe crop.

Someone earlier said that cameras are just tools. I agree with the "tool" part, but not the "just" part. Your tool has to feel good in your hands and work with you, not against you. All the spec sheets in the world won't tell you if that is the case. There are intangibles at play, and no amount of pixel peeping or forum rants can't inform you on them.

"Be the ball, Danny."

08-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Don't think we should mention those initials.
Yes.

^And look, I couldn't care less what he thinks. And I couldn't care less what many of the people here, or anywhere else on the internet, think or claim with regards to Pentax. I sorta said that on the first page of this thread.

I think it's ridiculous that so much time has been spent attacking the guy. And I think it's a little sad, as that sort of negativity spoils what should be a fun forum for all of us.
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Yes.

^And look, I couldn't care less what he thinks. And I couldn't care less what many of the people here, or anywhere else on the internet, think or claim with regards to Pentax. I sorta said that on the first page of this thread.

I think it's ridiculous that so much time has been spent attacking the guy. And I think it's a little sad, as that sort of negativity spoils what should be a fun forum for all of us.
time was spent because that's what he wanted. it creates traffic to his blog. his name still does. you obviously do not understand the guy. he set himself up to be attacked in almost every post he made on this forum, and had he not been banned for breaking forum rules he likely still would be. he wasn't all bad and even considered purchasing both a K-m and a k-7 according to some of his last posts (before the k-7 was released) for which he and I had a few decent conversations, but that doesn't change his intent with his posts here nor his blog. this is what he wants. this post will probably get him more traffic.
08-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #37
Igilligan

Zeus... at least you have some info to make an informed decision

QuoteOriginally posted by zeus Quote
To be honest, as a perspective K-7 buyer, I see more negative stuff here on this forum that makes me question if I want to buy a K-7 then anywhere else!

We have a multiple page busted sensor thread. A litany of things that need to be fixed in the firmware threads. A disturbing story about every shot with a new K-7 being overexposed (followed by the seemingly reassuring comment, "Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one") We have the multiple high iso "complaint" threads and the "why are there speckles" in my photos thread. We have the grip is not big enough threads. Finally, we have a giant multipage advertisment for RiceHigh's anti-Pentax blog.

(And I am just looking back one page!)

I don't need to go anywhere else to find Pentax bashing. It is all right here!
Zues - At least here there is 'some' dialog about the issues and how they relate to the real world shooting... (but we have our share of fannies too...)

Over at Fanboy Central, you can be attacked if you bring up any issues. As always, some are actually smearing the DPR reviewer of the DA* 55mm lens.

My review --- "The most overpriced 'good' lens in the history of pentax glass. Honest to goodness I will pit my $20 Helios 44M 58mm against it any day of the week! I am not sure that the AF speed beats my MF speed"

If you want to be influenced in a more postive way about buying into the Pentax system, I recommend some time there. There are Dinosaurs who have been standing knee deep in the Tarpits, bellowing about Pentax superiority for years... But please don't read the actual reviews. They will only confuse with you with facts... We all know the DPR reviewing staff are the Puppets of Nikon and Canon

But if you honestly want to be influenced in an 'informed' postive way... hang around here and look at the photos and read the good and the "bad"... As I said, we have our "Fannies" too, but they don't tend to run in packs...

This is how I see it... I am not affiliated with anything - anyone - anywhere... sad for me.

08-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
edl
Veteran Member

OP - what is a "Petnax K-7"? I've never heard of that camera. Where can I get one?

I laugh at all these comparisons of cars and how they relate to camera brands, or bicycles, or watches. They don't.

Most Ferrari and Lambo owners don't worry if their car has the best performance. They're always getting the most attention, and that's what gets those pesky Porsche owners all insecure and whiny. Sound familiar?

Besides, most F or L owners also have a Porsche...or a Mercedes...or a BMW...or a (fill in the blank car of the year). Except for the ones who lease apartments in Hollywood, who also lease their F or L car

Enjoy your camera.

Edmund (996TT owner...and some others)
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #39
Veteran Member

^No, I don't understand the guy. And I haven't had the history with him that so many others here have. I've hijacked this thread enough now and I'll shut up.
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #40
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Still the three custom configs really saved time for some places or things I like to shoot.

So buy three Pentax cameras then.
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Most Ferrari and Lambo owners don't worry if their car has the best performance. They're always getting the most attention, and that's what gets those pesky Porsche owners all insecure and whiny. Sound familiar?
I don't like attention on the street - it leads to bad things. On the track I didn't have to worry about an F or L car as they would rarely be there. The TTs were beasts that my screaming 172hp was no match for...well, except in the corners if the TT driver was a noob.

A flat 6 is a home on the track. On the street it is somewhat depressing. Even my current WRX is overkill, though I'll track it when it cools down just for grins. I'm curious to compare lap times between a track prepped SC and a bone stock WRX.

Oh wait, we were talking cameras...
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
whining and bashing is bidirectional and everyone has done it. There are no intellectual properties on it. If you dont like Canikon fanboys ignore them. My advice would be to ignore also the Pentax fanboys. Ignore them all, ignore me.....please ignore me!!!
I'm a Gruoso fanboy.
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #43
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by zeus Quote
To be honest, as a perspective K-7 buyer, I see more negative stuff here on this forum that makes me question if I want to buy a K-7 then anywhere else!

We have a multiple page busted sensor thread. A litany of things that need to be fixed in the firmware threads. A disturbing story about every shot with a new K-7 being overexposed (followed by the seemingly reassuring comment, "Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one") We have the multiple high iso "complaint" threads and the "why are there speckles" in my photos thread. We have the grip is not big enough threads. Finally, we have a giant multipage advertisment for RiceHigh's anti-Pentax blog.

(And I am just looking back one page!)

I don't need to go anywhere else to find Pentax bashing. It is all right here!
A busted sensor warrants a multi page thread.
Multiple things being wrong with a new product is becoming the norm. We're not consumers anymore, we're guinea pigs. There are known problems with this camera yet people are still buying them. Where's the incentive for the manufacturer to get it right from the get go? I'll probably buy one when the problems are fixed and the price drops.
Negativity is in our genes, we're human.
I very much doubt if RH's blog has any impact on Pentax one way or another.
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #44
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
This is how I see it... I am not affiliated with anything - anyone - anywhere... sad for me.
Wrong! you belong to the Meetup Guerrilla. You will never walk alone
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I very much doubt if RH's blog has any impact on Pentax one way or another.
At least in the good old days a good rant in a printed newsletter could be used to line the bird cage or wrap fish.

I suppose today you can use the blog to line your avatar's cage or wrap trolls...