Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

K10D Continuous Shooting problem

I have been experiencing a problem with my Pentax K10D when set on Continuous Shooting Mode. Frequently, some or all of the sequenced images are captured in the green colour channel only.

Any ideas on how to get around this problem?

08-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emo gootch Quote
I have been experiencing a problem with my Pentax K10D when set on Continuous Shooting Mode. Frequently, some or all of the sequenced images are captured in the green colour channel only.

Any ideas on how to get around this problem?
I would try a different SD card. Mine fires 4 RAW images /sec just fine on a good quality SD.
08-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is probably the only change you could make to see if it's a camera problem or a memory transfer problem. Let us know if it fixes it or not.
08-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #4

I have the same problem now after having used the K10D for 18 months ... has anyone else?

And I have tried different SD cards so don't think that is the source of the problem

08-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is just with continuous or is it all of the time? If it's just in continuous mode, it could be a battery issue. The higher drain on it might be exposing a low voltage issue.
08-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #6

Thanks Das Boot for the quick reply

Its in any mode.

I will recharge the battery and see if that makes any difference. I have emailed Pentax too so will see what they say (if anything)
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Dear Responders:

Thanks for your interest and suggestions re. the occasional green channel problem with my K10D in continuous shoot mode. None of my quality SD cards seems faulty and I shoot with a fully charged battery. Perhaps it's a camera sensor problem. If it's an issue, I shoot exclusively in RAW.

08-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think you are dealing with a problem to get arround. Either your SD card is faulty, or the camera is.

If you are certain your cards are OK, then maybe it is time to send the K10D to Pentax for a check-up?
09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #9

Update for you all - I sent my K10D to a Pentax service centre here in the UK and they have told me its a problem with the motherboard. Apparently the easiest solution is to replace the whole thing at the princely cost of 150GBP ... not a happy man at the mo to say the least
09-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ouch.

Sorry to hear that.
09-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
Dear responders: I'm just back from a terrific 2 week photo trip to Georgian Bay (Lake Huron). I had a few green image incidents but nothing serious. It seems clear now that I have a camera problem but given the apparent high cost of a repair (via Gizmo1970), I'm prepared to live with the problem for now. Thanks to all of you for helping me resolve this situation.- Emo Gootch
09-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #12

Georgian Bay. I'm jealous. Will you be posting any pics? I'd love to see some.
09-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
Parry Sound and the Bruce Peninsula on Georgian Bay are rugged and truly beautiful photo venues. If I do eventually post some images, I'll note it on this forum.
09-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emo gootch Quote
Dear responders: I'm just back from a terrific 2 week photo trip to Georgian Bay (Lake Huron). I had a few green image incidents but nothing serious. It seems clear now that I have a camera problem but given the apparent high cost of a repair (via Gizmo1970), I'm prepared to live with the problem for now. Thanks to all of you for helping me resolve this situation.- Emo Gootch
Couple of things to point out here, and no offence intended.

as to the "green" images, perhaps you should consider entering this month's photo contest, afterall, the subject this month is "GREEN"

Seriously, however, I had my K10D fail reciently (shutter) and although I ultimately decided that I would get a K7 (they appeared in stores a week after the shutter failure), I decided to get my K10 repaired. It was out of warranty so it was my cost. Pentax canada did all the work for $325 CDN and in the process replaced the entire shutter mechanism, lens mount, mirror, and cleaned and serviced the entire camera. Aside from external marks from use, it came back looking like a new camera, they even cleaned the viewfinder to remove some dust.

I decided it was a worthwhile investment.

Edit Notes

while this repair cost might equal the cost of getting a second hand K10 body, where are you going to get one at that price with a wannanty and a new shutter.?

You also need to consider not the cost of a second hand body, but what you paid for the K10 in the first place. While the resale value may have depreciated rapidly, the value to you as an asset may not have.
09-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
Dear Lowell Goudge and Editor: Thanks for the good advice and positive repair experience information - but given the anticipated cost and lack of urgency, I'm still going to hold off for the time being.