Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New k20d or K7 ? Give me your advice.

Hi all

I'm very happy with my k20d. It does everything I need so far.

Now, I was thinking of the upgrade to k7 mainly due to the video feature (useful for family clips etc).

I was thinking in the upgrade only in 6 months or more but now a relative of mine wants my k20d still under warranty for another year and made a good offer, meaning, for a couple more money I can buy a new k20d with extended warranty (and use the grip I have) OR I can cover the diference and get the k7 (will loose grip for a while until I get or not a new one .....).

So, what do you think ?

I read a lot of threads on the new features etc on k7 but give me your opinion, I might need a push to decide either way!

Thanks

08-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do people find it so difficult to state the truth? You don't care about the extended warranty and maybe family videos is a good excuse. You NEED that new camera. So if you have the money, sell the K20 and feed your need for toys. I say get it, get it now. If I had your money I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Glad I could help.
08-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate - do you really want the K-7 for just the video?
Are you bothered by having a separate videocam?
If so, yes, don't hesitate and get the K-7.
You need to decide what YOU'D like - or risk your money to others who'll easily volunteer to spend it for you!
08-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Mate - do you really want the K-7 for just the video?
Are you bothered by having a separate videocam?
If so, yes, don't hesitate and get the K-7.
You need to decide what YOU'D like .....
I don't have a videocamera , that's why k7 seems to appel to me

But I'm very hapy with k20d (my wife wants a video camera) so the other option is to continue with k20d and maybe get a sony videocam

Have to consider options

08-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If your wife wants a video camera, buy her one and let her use it.

Keep the K20D, why sell it for more warranty? If the K20D works fine why sell it? Use the money saved for lenses or hookers. Problem solved;-)
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

Here's my perspective...

You might want to consider possible conflicts between each other over use of the camera for still vs. video. Having a separate video camera would avoid that problem as well as keep from filling up your memory cards with huge video files.

I purchased a K20D a few months ago. It does most things I want, except the frame rate is a little slow for sports sequence shooting.
The video feature on the K-7 is nice, but it's faster frame rate, built-in HDR and 5 shot bracketing are mostly what I'm wanting to use.
I want to eventually upgrade to the K-7 and keep the K20D as a nice back up!
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
Here's my perspective...

I purchased a K20D a few months ago. It does most things I want, except the frame rate is a little slow for sports sequence shooting.
The video feature on the K-7 is nice, but it's faster frame rate, built-in HDR and 5 shot bracketing are mostly what I'm wanting to use.
You said it all

I'm passing my k20d to a relative. Will keep k200d as backup (wife likes it a lot) and will get a k7 "for me"
08-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here's my perspective...

You might want to consider possible conflicts between each other over use of the camera for still vs. video. Having a separate video camera would avoid that problem as well as keep from filling up your memory cards with huge video files.

qft, I can see a lot of conflicts! Also, K7's other features (for me, faster frame rate and AF speed) are most important.

08-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #9

I'm very happy with my K20D, but will probably "upgrade" to a K7, when the price drops to the "real" price of around $600.
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Are you joking? Note even the D200 or 30D is selling that much USED. And those are 3 and soon to be 4 year old models.
08-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Are you joking? Note even the D200 or 30D is selling that much USED. And those are 3 and soon to be 4 year old models.
I am curious if this was directed at walters comment regarding the k7 dropping to $600. If it is, why point to Nikon cameras for evidence this wouldnt happen, when this consistently Does happen to the top-of-the-line pentax cameras? I fully expect the k7 to be pushing at least $800 by the end of the year. I think pentax really does push the envelope in some respects (but the k7 is just as much about catching up, i.e. AF, FPS), just think how everyone thought the k10d was a game changer? TAv, Sv modes, sealed body under $1K - none of those things changed the fact that is was around $600 new within a year of release. As nice as the K7 is, I think it will follow suit. I think alot of us find pentax to be a great value. many of course want the newest right away, but alot more are willing to wait, and pretty much expect the same kind of price drops we have always seen in the past. Just a thought!
08-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I am curious if this was directed at walters comment regarding the k7 dropping to $600. If it is, why point to Nikon cameras for evidence this wouldnt happen, when this consistently Does happen to the top-of-the-line pentax cameras? I fully expect the k7 to be pushing at least $800 by the end of the year. I think pentax really does push the envelope in some respects (but the k7 is just as much about catching up, i.e. AF, FPS), just think how everyone thought the k10d was a game changer? TAv, Sv modes, sealed body under $1K - none of those things changed the fact that is was around $600 new within a year of release. As nice as the K7 is, I think it will follow suit. I think alot of us find pentax to be a great value. many of course want the newest right away, but alot more are willing to wait, and pretty much expect the same kind of price drops we have always seen in the past. Just a thought!
Look at the D300. It's only $200 away from when it was first released two years ago. The D300s barely improves on that model.

My guess is that the K-7 will STAY at $1300 til the end of this year where we may see the first signs of very little discounts ($1250+). Then even til next year during summer it will be at least $1000 (probably more).

Pentax can't earn any money if they keep discounting the few dSLRs they have.
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Keep the K20D and buy some lenses. But a separate video cam for your wife.
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just realized my posts on this thread were completely OT, so now to answer your question.

I don't see why you would sell your K20D and then buy a brand new one. Just sell one of your K20Ds to him and then buy a K-7. Not really an upgrade if you buy the same dSLR as before.
08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I just realized my posts on this thread were completely OT, so now to answer your question.

I don't see why you would sell your K20D and then buy a brand new one. Just sell one of your K20Ds to him and then buy a K-7. Not really an upgrade if you buy the same dSLR as before.
Hi GLXLR

It's already solved

I sold the k20d and kept the k200d since my wife likes it.

Will upgrade now to K7

Thanks

Here's my perspective...

You said it all

I'm passing my k20d to a relative. Will keep k200d as backup (wife likes it a lot) and will get a k7 "for me"