Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KatzEye on the K20?

Well, since I'm going to upgrade to the K20, and so liked the KatzEye on my K100, I was wondering what the experience was in general on the K20, and specifically whether the Opti-Brite feature was worth the extra $50? I'll be using the Tamron 28-75 for a while longer as my primary lens. Any and all experience most welcomed,
Brian

08-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I went the whole route with the Katz-Eye in my K20. I don't know what, if anything, the Opti-Brute treatment does, as i don't have a non treated screen to compare. What i did notice was an immediate improvement in metering accuracy and a huge improvement in manual focus ability.
I'm really hoping they get their act together and release a screen for the K-7 soon.
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought the Katz Eye, with Optibrite for my K20. I ended up sending it back, because my Chinese screen (significantly less $$) performed just as well.

Both screens bring a significant improvement to manual focus, but an eyepiece magnifyer, like the one KPS makes (U13 I think), really puts the icing on the cake.
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wrote a long review of it on the k20d in the following link. It may be helpful to you:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46978-my-k20d-katz...-pictures.html

08-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OP response

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I bought the Katz Eye, with Optibrite for my K20. I ended up sending it back, because my Chinese screen (significantly less $$) performed just as well.

Both screens bring a significant improvement to manual focus, but an eyepiece magnifyer, like the one KPS makes (U13 I think), really puts the icing on the cake.
I agree about the split prism, I'm just not sure of the Optibrite.
By the way, the eyepiece part # is O-ME53, and its getting moved over from the K100,
Brian
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go on spoil yourself it's only $50.
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned both versions on my K10D. Slower lenses (e.g. the 18-55/3.5-5.6 kit) are impossibly dim without the Optibrite treatment even with the relatively bright pentaprism finder. If all of your glass is f/2.8 or faster, save yourself $50. If not...better to indulge and get it IMHO.

Steve
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

[Shameless Plug]

I have the Optibrite version in the Marketplace. I used it on my K10, (which just sold today). I can't speak for the non-treated version, but with all the manual lenses I have (see sig) I LOVED it and can't wait till the K7 version is available. Split prism focusing takes me right back to my Spotmatic days. It's so crisp.

08-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am using the Nikon K3 screen (made for the Nikon FM3A) from this seller:
Focusing Screen

and to me it is perfect with no exposure errors. Screen is bright and does not black out even at small apertures and high magnification. The screen has the Nikon trademark 12mm circle on a matte fresnel field. It is so similar to what KatzEye is offering that I think they are one and the same focusing screen but the Katzeye going for a good US$35 more.
08-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the JinFinance diagonal split image in my K10D.

Bought it for an experiment really, was not sure that I would keep it on the K10D or move it to the *istD and put the *istD screen into the K10D.

trade ff is better metering vs better focusing,

Since all of my MF primes are fast (only 1 - F2.8 lens, 4 - F2.5 lenses, 2 - F2 lenses, and 2- F1.4 lenses I don't see the need for a bright viewfinder, the lenses already give that, and with the shallow DOF I like the split image.

So far it has remained in my K10D as a MF system body and back up to my K7.

The *istD is now less important in my system but I still like it.
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
FHPhotographer:By the way, the eyepiece part # is O-ME53, and its getting moved over from the K100,
Brian
No, that eyepiece is made by Pentax and it magnifies @ 1.18 or so. The eyepiece to which I am referring is made by KPS, and, IMHO, is superior to the Pentax one. Others at the forum feel the same. For example, see here:

Seculine KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece - Viewfinder Magnifier on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 08-06-2009 at 11:41 AM.
08-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
FHPhotographer: I agree about the split prism, I'm just not sure of the Optibrite.
Well, I used the Optibrite version of the Katz Eye. If there was any improved performance over a non-Optibrite model, I could not see it. Of course, I had to swap screens over to test; I did not have 2 K20d bodies with which to do the comparison.

But I shot & manually focused with my $28 Chinese Split Prism and I did the same with my $170 Katz Eye Split Prism. I did not notice significant brightness differences between the two--perhaps my expectations for the Katz Eye were too high. Also, I preferred the diagonal split of the Chinese Split.
08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I had the KatzEye w/ std grid and w/o Optibrite on my K10D. Liked it alright but it did feel a little dark.

I now have one on my K20D with no gridlines and with Optibrite. It's night and day different from the stock focus screen. I would not want a camera without one.
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Katzeye

I have the Katzeye for my K10d. The split image focusing is wonderful, especially with fast lenses - I have the f1.2 50, great for portraits.

It does seem to affect the spot metering by quite a lot. Since I got used to center weighted metering with the MX and LX this doesn't bother me too much, since I can always chimp a proper exposure with the spot setting. Overall it is a great improvement, especially in judging depth of field, which was difficult with the stock screen.