Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Closed Account

Time for upgrade - Stay with Pentax?

This is one more of those upgrade option posts, but please hear me out on this one.

I am currently using the following gear:
K100D
DA 18-55 Kit lens
FA 50/1.4
Samsung D-Xenon 50-200/4-5.6

The K100D was my first DSLR and I have really enjoyed using it but I feel that I've outgrowned it. Not being able to autofocus in low light situations, the hassle of pressing several buttons just to change simple things as iso speed, being forced to enter the camera setup menu just to change focus and AE settings, generally slow behaviour of the camera, stuff like that have led to my decision that it's time for an upgrade.

I've been looking at the K20D and the K7 and I think both would be excellent upgrade options. One thing that to me actually justifies spending the extra money on a K7 is the small size of the body. The K100D and K7 have almost the same size and I really love the size of my K100D.

On the other hand, I keep seeing posts about the future of Pentax, and that makes me really confused on whether I really should invest that much money in a camera body when that actually could be the last body from that manufacturer. To be honest, my lens collection isn't really top notch so I could on the other hand just sell all my gear and start over with another brand.

I love the size and the specs of the K7, but I can't help feeling that investing in something like a used D90 would be a safer option for the future.

I know, asking this on a Pentax forum will probably get me pretty biased responses but I would really like to hear other Pentax users opinions on the matter.

08-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D alone is already 2 levels above the K100, IMHO. Great camera that can be acquired at a great price now that the K-7 is out.

Have a look at this thread to see a user with a similar dilemma; we ended up talking him out of it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/68707-talk-me-out.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mindglow Quote
This is one more of those upgrade option posts, but please hear me out on this one.

I am currently using the following gear:
K100D
DA 18-55 Kit lens
FA 50/1.4
Samsung D-Xenon 50-200/4-5.6

The K100D was my first DSLR and I have really enjoyed using it but I feel that I've outgrowned it. Not being able to autofocus in low light situations, the hassle of pressing several buttons just to change simple things as iso speed, being forced to enter the camera setup menu just to change focus and AE settings, generally slow behaviour of the camera, stuff like that have led to my decision that it's time for an upgrade.

I've been looking at the K20D and the K7 and I think both would be excellent upgrade options. One thing that to me actually justifies spending the extra money on a K7 is the small size of the body. The K100D and K7 have almost the same size and I really love the size of my K100D.

On the other hand, I keep seeing posts about the future of Pentax, and that makes me really confused on whether I really should invest that much money in a camera body when that actually could be the last body from that manufacturer. To be honest, my lens collection isn't really top notch so I could on the other hand just sell all my gear and start over with another brand.

I love the size and the specs of the K7, but I can't help feeling that investing in something like a used D90 would be a safer option for the future.

I know, asking this on a Pentax forum will probably get me pretty biased responses but I would really like to hear other Pentax users opinions on the matter.
Cameras are not investments. Digital camera bodies have a lifespan of a couple of years - it's not like you're buying a house. If you like your K100d, odds are you'll really like the K7. That said you don't have a ton of money invested in glass so switching isn't the end of the world.

Use what you like. Don't believe much of the FUD that is offered up as "fact" in various forums. Any company could pull out of the market, and of all the major players Nikon is the least diversified as a company. You can hunt for bad news from anyone, and people will be more than happy to sit on "death watch" for particular brands (I remember people claiming that Apple was going to fold for about 15 years).

If you like the K7, get it. If not, don't. It isn't the end of the world either way. Buy what moves you, shoot pictures, and be happy. Worrying about corporate profits, trying to predict the future, and hunting ad nauseum for the best "deal" are all largely a waste of time and energy in my book. I've got other things to do...like sleep (fat chance)
08-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From your low light AF problem, the K-7 will fix that for you. My K-m/K2000 ISO can be changed with just one push of the right arrow button, otherwise I can hit the middle OK button and just go right to ISO settings and change it along with a bunch of other things such as the focus. If the K-m/K2000 is this simple, I'm pretty sure the K-7 is just as simple since it's newer than the K-m/K2000

08-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #5

I have the same camera and lenses, plus the Tamron 18-250, which I tend to use most of the time. I fancied the K10D, so when the GX10 was offered cheap, I purchased. It's a nice camera, but much heavier, and I find the GX10 with the 18-250 too weighty to carry around all day. But then mindglow you may be younger and fitter!
08-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There have been predictions of the demise of Pentax for a long time, but it seems to be in the best shape as a part of Hoya group that it has been for a long time. That said, if you are concerned about the life span of your lenses, Samsung (a much bigger company) seems committed to continuing the K Mount, so even if Pentax went under, you could still use your lenses.

Everything else being equal, you need to look for a camera that is comfortable for you to use and that you will take with you. Features are not that different from one brand to another, but ergonomics are very different.
08-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #7

One day in an anxious moment I wondered what I would do if I had to leave Pentax for some reason. Where would I find a home? When I was first looking for a DSLR there weren't many to pick from. I was considering the first Canon low-end DSLR. Then I learned they had intentionally removed functions the engineers had put in the camera. They didn't want the camera to be too good. I thought that was tacky and Canon, as a company, went on my list of companies I wouldn't use. Nikon didn't have an inexpensive DSLR. So, I got Pentax.

Moving to now, I really like in-camera stabilization. I've heard the arguments concerning in-lens vs. in-camera. I don't buy it. I'll admit, I tend to be cheap. But, I like have stabilization with every lens without having to pay a premium.

Olympus? I don't want a smaller sensor.

Sony? Maybe. I don't know yet.

I haven't used any other brands of DSLRs but I've handled a few and had proud owners show them off. I like the way my Pentax cameras work. They're easy for me. The others seem clumbsy. Of course, I'm not familiar with them, either.

My only complaint with Pentax is focusing.

08-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep shooting your K100D...

...unless you are having major function failures. You have a good kit and should be very comfortable with the way everything works by now.

All I suggest is that you get an outstanding walk-around lens like the DA 40/2.8 Limited. Put your other lenses away and use it exclusively for at least a year. Learn how to make that one lens dance and you will be good to go forever.

Carry the K100D with you everyday and always be ready. Set a goal of producing at least one decent image a day and keep polishing your capture and processing skills. The K100D is a great tool and is capable of producing excellent images (but you know that already).

...my $0.02 cent$...
08-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #9

I've been using an IstDs2 for about four years now. Was DETERMINED that I was going to a Canon when I replaced the Ds2. I had not even been looking at Pentax for some time now, as I had bought into the Canon hoopla, so I didn't even know that the K20D and K7 existed until a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to go with the K20D @ $629. Seems like a bargain to me. As somebody else says, I'm not buying a car or house. If Pentax folds, that won't be the end of the world for me. I'm going to enjoy the K20D, for which I just bought a 2.8 70-200 Sigma HSMII lens, and with which I'm really happy.

If I have to go to Canon for my next body purchase, so be it!
08-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Go to the shop. Try eos 40d with the el-cheapo kit lens, then try pentax top k7 or k20d with top quality DA star lens (because they both would cost the same, but pentax could offer much more). I think it will be an easy decision.

Things to keep in mind - ALL pentax lenses are IS - so know how much canon IS lenses cost and how many of them does'nt have it at all.

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-05-2009 at 07:34 AM.
08-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mindglow,

First off. Figure out all the camera bodies that fit your parameters of what you are looking for. K20D, K7, Nikon D300, Canon 50D, etc., then find a camera store that has all of them and go there to hold them, use them, push buttons and snap shots to hear them click. It's about finding what matches up the best with you. I played with them all and still kept coming back to Pentax because it "felt" right to me, physically and interface-wise. I upgraded from the DS to the K20D and immediately felt and saw the difference. It was the improvement in IQ I was looking for and it had the control, dedicated hard buttons for metering and focus and an additional wheel, that I was missing. The added size was a concern for me, but I've adjusted to it and it doesn't seem to be an issue as I had expected. It's not overly big and cumbersome in comparison but it was "bigger" but it still felt comfortable. Low light focusing is improved but really, I've never had the pleasure of using a camera that could spot-on focus fast in low light so I probably don't know what I'm missing, I just know I get some keepers and I'm happy!

Good luck with your decision!
08-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
emr

I won't even try to guess/advise whether you should stick with Pentax or not, but:

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That said, if you are concerned about the life span of your lenses, Samsung (a much bigger company) seems committed to continuing the K Mount, so even if Pentax went under, you could still use your lenses.
I wonder if this is really true anymore? AFAIK, Samsung has released no DSLR after their GX-20, which naturally is K mount. Instead they have announced a "hybrid" camera like NX-3/NX-10 which is officially said NOT to have K lens mount. Of course there are rumours (and perhaps rather old semi-official announcements) about Samsung developing a FF DSLR, and if that is true it just might use K mount. But nothing solid so far. To me it seems that Samsung is concentrating in camera concepts other than conventional DSLR and who knows if they'll release another K mount camera - ever.
08-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax has a future and if changing brands is needed don't jump over to a d300 or 50d over a k20d/k7 it's jsut not worth it, if your jumping then go big to a 5d or d700 sony a900 to make it worth the jump, otherwise there really is little point.
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Go to the shop. Try eos 40d with the el-cheapo kit lens, then try pentax top k7 or k20d with top quality DA star lens (because they both would cost the same, but pentax could offer much more). I think it will be an easy decision.

Things to keep in mind - ALL pentax lenses are IS - so know how much canon IS lenses cost and how many of them does'nt have it at all.
Not sure where you are getting your numbers from.

You could get a 40D + 17-55/2.8 for around $1700 (Adorama has had the 40D refurbs for $699 for a long time, with a one year warranty). K20D + DA* 16-50 would be around $1400. K-7 + DA* 16-50 would be around $2k.

40D with "el cheapo" kit lens (which has IS and excellent optics) would run something like $850.
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Pentax has a future and if changing brands is needed don't jump over to a d300 or 50d over a k20d/k7 it's jsut not worth it, if your jumping then go big to a 5d or d700 sony a900 to make it worth the jump, otherwise there really is little point.
+1

Also, invest in some glass. Why switch if you are just going to end up with a smaller kit then you previously had?