Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Igilligan

I dont know about

the K7 bugs, but the K20 bugs are working themselve out just fine...

What a killing machine... look at the spikes on those front legs/arms. If you get caught in there, there is no escape...

I yawn when when I see another K7 thread
It makes me tired, and I head to bed
Those 'Post your K7 shots here'
Just makes me want another Beer

They won't end soon I Fear
So I will start a 'post your K100 shots here'

08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I think there are 2 things going on with the auto horizon thing,

1. from my limited use of the k7 is that the sensor aligns with the built in level meter, not the actual horizion, meaning it wil auto level itself to level the sensor level to the ground your standing on, if your on a slope it will level itself well BUT the horizon may not be level now will it?

2. it works with the sr system and the sr system sometimes needs to spool up, meaning you can take crocked pics if it hasn't spooled up yet.
How can a camera possibly know what slope the ground is on underneath it, over what distance does it measure this slope? There is only one thing it can sense and that's gravity, which pulls at a right angle to the geoid.
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I think there are 2 things going on with the auto horizon thing,

1. from my limited use of the k7 is that the sensor aligns with the built in level meter, not the actual horizion, meaning it wil auto level itself to level the sensor level to the ground your standing on, if your on a slope it will level itself well BUT the horizon may not be level now will it?

Sorry, I have difficulty understanding your statement. Level is level and has nothing to do with the slope of the ground that you're standing on. Gravity doesn't change because you're standing on a slope ! There may be a hill or receiding land-mass that makes the perceived horizon appear not leveled, but the actual horizon by definition is always leveled (and slightly curved of course!).

Last edited by regor; 08-07-2009 at 08:14 AM.
08-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

for all those asking about auto level, note.

- the system works with the same sensor movement actuators as the shake reduction, these movements are not unlimited, and therefore, it will only level sensor up to a point.
- the camera won't care about the angle of the ground under your feet at all, level means perpendicular to the line between you and the center of the earth, nothing more, nothing less.
- the camera will not necessairly be alligned to significant lines of interest in the frame so if there is a road leading across the frame at an angle the camera won't allign to it.

08-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

What a killing machine... look at the spikes on those front legs/arms. If you get caught in there, there is no escape...

I yawn when when I see another K7 thread
It makes me tired, and I head to bed
Those 'Post your K7 shots here'
Just makes me want another Beer

They won't end soon I Fear
So I will start a 'post your K100 shots here'
Gus,
I agree - so boring; but there's nothing boring about that killing machine, great images.

Phil
08-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I asked yesterday how much horizon correction the K-7 was capable of handling and the answer was 2 degrees.
08-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I asked yesterday how much horizon correction the K-7 was capable of handling and the answer was 2 degrees.
The horizon correction is meant to work together with the Electronic Level indicator. The level indicator is sensitive down to +/- 1 degrees tilt. According to the Pentax specs. , the horizon correction will correct a maximum +/- 1 degrees.

I'm wondering whether all those who reported their "horizon correction is busted" are aware of this.

I tested my unit's horizon correction against a friend's precision laser leveller. The laser leveller is used in construction sites to produce a perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical beam, depending on how you set it, to guide the building work. The K-7's horizon correction tested 100% accurate.
I must be sounding like a Pentax commercial, but its actually true....

Last edited by kittykat46; 08-07-2009 at 11:14 PM.
08-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

I think I dated her...but we never consumated things...

08-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #24

Edit: Worked out how to use it.

Last edited by Mallrat; 08-10-2009 at 08:02 AM.
08-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I'm wondering whether all those who reported their "horizon correction is busted" are aware of this.
I'm aware of this. It's easy to see that with level correction your horizons are crooked. I also try to get my horizon as level as possible when using that function, it's not made to correct sloppy technique. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my K-7. Not a big deal but I'll certainly send it to repair at one point to correct this issue.
08-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to say that my k-7 is fine no bugs that I've noticed yet