Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How're the K7 bugs coming along

I know that with new releases, every DSLR has bugs that need to be worked out. An opportunity arises for me to have 2 K7s much earlier than I expected.

So how are they coming along. What are the current bugs? What have they worked out. For the newsguys out there, what bugs are out there that WILL be fixed soon.

Thanks.

Mitch

08-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
So how are they coming along. What are the current bugs? What have they worked out. For the newsguys out there, what bugs are out there that WILL be fixed soon.
They have fixed a bug regarding autofocus using the leftmost AF sensor and not able to readjust white balance and image parameter on pictures already taken when dist. correction or chr. ab. corr. was on.

They have not fixed problems with hypertv when autoiso is on and there is some problems with wireless and HS sync flash.

Lot of users are complaining about the electronic level and horizon correction not being very accurate. Mine is also wrong. All pictures are tilted when automatic horizon correction is on. They should allow for calibration of this feature in firmware.
08-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow auto horizon correction? i didnt even know that existed in the cam. cool feature, once it is working right.

question:

when your horizons are tilted due to the auto horizon correction, are they all tilted the same?

I'm thinking, if I do get my K7s at this early stage, what if I take a set of photos into lightroom, straighten the horizon on one photo, then synch the crop to all of the other photos. would that be my time saver here?

on a wedding, i ALWAYS straighten all of the horizons. even if there is a bump, maybe I can still use the feature to save time in editing.

Thanks for the input
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They already have one firmware update released. Only Pentax knows what other bugs/ features are on the timeline.

08-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

not a bug, but a feature was added in firmware 1.01 to allow an alternate way of selecting the focus point.
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
wow auto horizon correction? i didnt even know that existed in the cam. cool feature, once it is working right.

question:

Thanks for the input
The auto horizon correction on my K-7 is 100% spot on - I tested it against a friend's laser leveller ( he's in the construction industry and its basically a high-tech equivalent of the old spirit bubble level).

Its weird - I had almost "never" been able to get perfectly level shots handheld, but here I'm getting it nearly 100% of the time on the K-7.....love this feature.

It could be there are some units out there with tilted sensors, relative to the body; its not a new story with Pentax. In a case like that the tilt should be consistent from shot to shot, its not a fault with the horizon correction feature in itself.
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've read many people have messed-up levels. And from what I hear, the level is consitent with the sensor, not the body. Some people have levels that work correctly (horizons are level when the level says so), but are misaligned with the body.

08-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
everyone seems to forget THE RULE of coding.... "if it does in randomly, it is a bug....if it does it everytime, it's a feature..." so, are there really any true firmware bugs? I think not!!

08-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Lot of users are complaining about the electronic level and horizon correction not being very accurate. Mine is also wrong. All pictures are tilted when automatic horizon correction is on. They should allow for calibration of this feature in firmware.
Mine is not working either so I disabled it (all pictures were leaning slightly to the right). A calibration would be great because I don't want to send to repair my K-7 just for that.

I don't know if the slow fps in AF-C can be counted as bug but I find it a bit bothering.

I also had some little display glitches, but that appeared only 2 times and fixed by on/off. And a complete lock up one time, but I think it was due to the grip I just installed. This after 6000 shots... I didn't see the green line but then I don't use Liveview or video very intensively.
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Mine is not working either so I disabled it (all pictures were leaning slightly to the right). A calibration would be great because I don't want to send to repair my K-7 just for that.
Curious to know how people are testing this.. seems AS would also effect horizons.
On a tripod ?
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad for the input on this one, guys.
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think there are 2 things going on with the auto horizon thing,

1. from my limited use of the k7 is that the sensor aligns with the built in level meter, not the actual horizion, meaning it wil auto level itself to level the sensor level to the ground your standing on, if your on a slope it will level itself well BUT the horizon may not be level now will it?

2. it works with the sr system and the sr system sometimes needs to spool up, meaning you can take crocked pics if it hasn't spooled up yet.
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
They have not fixed problems with hypertv when autoiso is on and there is some problems with wireless and HS sync flash.
I haven't heard about these bugs. What are they about?
The K20D had a "Hyper-Program + Auto ISO" bug which has been fixed for the K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
A calibration would be great because I don't want to send to repair my K-7 just for that.
Wow, I'd send it in in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be able to shrug off the fact that such a cool and useful feature is not working.

BTW, Pentax is aware of the "green line" problem that appears with some copies and is working on a solution.

Hopefully they'll keep the firmware updates coming and will include a "manual" option for controlling the light of the top LCD.
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Wow, I'd send it in in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be able to shrug off the fact that such a cool and useful feature is not working.
8 weeks in service
08-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

I cannot find fault with my K-7. Everything works as it should.
The more time I spend with the camera, the better it gets!