Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 10:52 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Have you taken both bodies and both lenses out for a considerable test run? Which felt better in your hands? Which produced the best photographs to your eyes? Which left you most pleased? There's your answer

Forget all the minute masturbating and taking things to the Nth degree of comparison when looking at statistics and manufacturers claims. This idea of photography is supposed to be fun, pleasing to the eye and at the end of the day, what makes us happy...ultimately, a few hundredths of a percentage of this that or the other makes so little difference in capable hands, but seems to be the, fodder of argument and roadblocks for those who think statistics make good photographs.

Enjoy, whichever you choose.

Jason

08-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #32

Nikon does not overstate the ISO of their cameras, they just have a different distribution between shadow SR and highlight DR in their JPEG engine (the gray point is lower). Using the same lens, aperture, shutter and ISO, the D90 and K20D will both give perfectly well exposed shots, with middle gray objects having the same exposure. The K20D will actually have recorded slightly more light used to give more detailed shadows, while the D90 will have more highlight detail.

The DxO measure of ISO does not take proper exposure into consideration. Their ISO values are based on the light needed to saturate the sensor. If a camera maker adds one more stop of highlight dynamic range, DxO will consider the ISOs of that camera to be one stop overstated. This is obvious with the Fuji S5 that has incredible dynamic range, made possible by having 50% photosites with 4 stops less sensitivity. This sensor needs much more light to saturate, and as such, DxO considered this sensor to be ISO cheating by several stops. DxO has however made an exception for this camera, in the listings there is a "special info" button where you can read more.

The DxO way of measuring does make sense, kind of, when looking only at RAW files (where gray point and dynamic range distribution is up to the user). If Nikon were to use those results (and relabel their ISO 1600 as 1200, or whatever), the camera would not give a properly exposed (JPEG) image when used together with a light meter.
08-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
And AF adjustment - a real biggie for me.
Good point. The list of perks goes on and on... support for older lenses, for instance. Plus the amazing community!

QuoteQuote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to post something similar. I doubt if you compared a A3+ images shot by either camera, one could distinguish which was shot with which camera.
Absolutely correct, I'm sure. It's just a tool, and either camera will take great pictures. But tools have different features, and I think it's important to choose the tool with the features you like.
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Have you taken both bodies and both lenses out for a considerable test run? Which felt better in your hands? Which produced the best photographs to your eyes? Which left you most pleased? There's your answer

Forget all the minute masturbating and taking things to the Nth degree of comparison when looking at statistics and manufacturers claims. This idea of photography is supposed to be fun, pleasing to the eye and at the end of the day, what makes us happy...ultimately, a few hundredths of a percentage of this that or the other makes so little difference in capable hands, but seems to be the, fodder of argument and roadblocks for those who think statistics make good photographs.

Enjoy, whichever you choose.

Jason
One of the less attractive outcomes of the Digital revolution in photography is there are a fair number of people who "do" cameras. They don't do photography, mind you. They do cameras, lenses and gear - analyse them to the hilt, bash them bits (figuratively speaking) if they don't like it etc. - and they do seem to hang out a lot in photography forums..
Well, its their money, whatever keeps them happy...

Me, I just buy what feels and looks right to me, and have lots of fun taking photographs.....and Pentax has served me well for many years, the latest being the K-7.

08-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
Hi rawt,

Thanks for the link. D90 sensor seems superior to K20D's. Sad to know.

Tony
hell no. The K20D's sensor is pretty amazing. Noise not as good maybe...