Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K110D with old lenses....

Hi all...newbie here. I have a Pentax film SLR PZ-10. Hadn't used it in years (have had cannon p/s ..)

I didn't want to trash the two lenses so I picked up a K110D body only. It'll be here soon.

So I was hoping to get some pointers on what to expect using the lenses I have with the K110D.... the 28-50 that came with the PZ-10 and a Sigma 70-300 I bought for a Disney vacation (great pics with my pz-10!) back when..... they are KAF2 mounts.

a new toy....

08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #2

The Lenses Will Work Fine

Both lenses will work just as they did on your PZ-10 except for any power zoom function that the 28-50 might have. Just like with the film camera, the 70-300 may be hard to get sharp shots at the longer focal lengths due to camera shake but if you have enough light, it will be fine.
Enjoy your new toy and get some good hybrid rechargeable batteries to use with it (Eneloops, etc). There are many posts on these batteries.
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, look up the term "crop factor" if you are not aware of how the field of view will change going from film to digital. The 70-300 will seem like an even longer lens, but the 28-80 won't be as wide. Elsewhere, you ask about general purposes lenses. I'd say you're pretty well covered for starters, but you may end up missing the wide end enough to eventually pick up an 18-55 or something like that, which will more or less exactly match what your 28-80 did on film.
08-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Angles of view

I don't like the term "Crop factor". It causes a lot of confusion among dslr newbies. It seems like once a week, we have a question here about how someone's 200mm lens becomes a 300mm lens on a dslr, or, should they enter 200 or 300 for SR on a manual lens.

B & H posted an article on their website a couple of months ago, that has a very good basic explanation of "angles of view" and how it changes on the various sensor sizes.

Angles-of-View | B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

08-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree. But it is probably the most sensible term to Google for if you are looking for a discussion of the topic. And while the whole concept has very little relevance to most DSLR photogrpahers, it *is* relevant to someone just makingthe switch from film and asking about using one's existing lenses.
08-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for the advice. I'm all set I think. I bought a Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Autofocus Zoom Lens for Digital SLRs and I have my Sigma 70-300. Thats ALL I'm going to spend for my occasional hobby for now. Can't wait to get everything...want to learn it in time so I can get some fall color pics of the Blue Ridge Mountains, suitable for blowup (not too big mind you) and framing
08-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #7

Hi Denise,
I have been using a K100d (same sensor as your K110D) for a few years now and you won't have any problem blowing up images from it. The biggest I have gone so far is A3 (without cropping of the original image) and I find the quality to be excellent, even at this size. I have also cropped an image so that it was square and blown it up to 20" by 20", again, the quality is great and it is hanging on the wall in my living room at the moment.
Enjoy your new toys.

Last edited by oinkely; 08-07-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling errors!!
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #8

Film vs Digital

QuoteOriginally posted by Denise Quote
Hi all, thanks for the advice. I'm all set I think. I bought a Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Autofocus Zoom Lens for Digital SLRs and I have my Sigma 70-300. Thats ALL I'm going to spend for my occasional hobby for now. Can't wait to get everything...want to learn it in time so I can get some fall color pics of the Blue Ridge Mountains, suitable for blowup (not too big mind you) and framing
Sounds like you have everything covered with the lenses. One of the biggest differences between film and digital is the white balance adjustment available with the DSLR. I would suggest learning to use the custom white balance function and also get a gray card. You can then shoot your first shot of the fall colors with the grey card in the frame and use it in post processing to get perfectly accurate colors for all of the shots in the series.
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I never was very experienced photographer.......that's why I stopped using my SLR and got a PowerShot Digital......gray card...hummm.....googled it...good to learn something new every day! I'm learning forward to learning more about photography the digital way!
08-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Denise Quote
...good to learn something new every day! I'm learning forward to learning more about photography the digital way!
The K110D is kinda like driving an ol' VW bug... very basic... stick shift... no AC... great gas milage... once you get the hang of it, a ton of fun.

Take lots of photos... throw away some photos... and...

Enjoy...