Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for K7 Owners with a Grip

Have the K7 and Grip on order but can't get a battery. Can I use the grip without a battery or do I need to use 6 x AA's?

08-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You can use the grip without a battery or you can use the camera without a battery and put the battery into the grip. Either way will work.
08-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Correct.

BTW, I never understood why grips are sold without a battery...

Wim
08-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by flash1100 Quote
Have the K7 and Grip on order but can't get a battery. Can I use the grip without a battery or do I need to use 6 x AA's?
I got my grip almost a month ago and still no battery. Like the other posters have said it will work fine without a battery, I put 6 of the Energizer Lithium AA's in there and it's still going strong. The camera battery is on the original charge and the battery meter just dropped to two bars yesterday. I have about 1400 clicks on it.

08-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Correct.

BTW, I never understood why grips are sold without a battery...

Wim
Cos they can make even more money by selling batteries seperately.
08-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use mine without a battery as much as I can because putting 6 AAs in it the whole setup becomes uncomfortably heavy. I plan to get a D-LI90 later because of that.
08-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #7

Interesting idea to put the main battery in the body and then Lithium AA backups in the grip.

Is there a way to check battery levels in the body and in the grip independently? I'm thinking to always have some Lithium AAs in the grip, and set the body to use "body first", so the AA is there only for backup.

> becomes uncomfortably heavy

... never mind
08-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #8

Depends on the Batteries

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Interesting idea to put the main battery in the body and then Lithium AA backups in the grip.

Is there a way to check battery levels in the body and in the grip independently? I'm thinking to always have some Lithium AAs in the grip, and set the body to use "body first", so the AA is there only for backup.

> becomes uncomfortably heavy

... never mind
I would think that the weight with 6 AAs would be highly dependent on the type of battery that you are using. Rechargable NiMHs are pretty heavy, but the lithiums that you mention are very very light. You might want to give it a try before just writing off the idea based on someones comment.

08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
I would think that the weight with 6 AAs would be highly dependent on the type of battery that you are using. Rechargable NiMHs are pretty heavy, but the lithiums that you mention are very very light. You might want to give it a try before just writing off the idea based on someones comment.
It doesn't feel heavy to me. According to the Energizer site the weight per Lithium AA is 14.5 grams x 6 = 87 grams. According to the only technical data I could find about the D-LI90 it weighs 78 grams. So the difference is 9 grams...not too bad.
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #10

NiMH About 30 Grams

QuoteOriginally posted by jbcampbell Quote
It doesn't feel heavy to me. According to the Energizer site the weight per Lithium AA is 14.5 grams x 6 = 87 grams. According to the only technical data I could find about the D-LI90 it weighs 78 grams. So the difference is 9 grams...not too bad.
Compare that to at least 30 grams each for AA NiMH batteries:

30 grams X 6 = 180 grams.

About twice as heavy as with Lithiums. Of course they are not rechargeable.
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Compare that to at least 30 grams each for AA NiMH batteries:

30 grams X 6 = 180 grams.

About twice as heavy as with Lithiums. Of course they are not rechargeable.
That's the big deal, If I'm going with Lithium I'm better off with the original D-LI90, it'll be cheaper in the long run anyway.
08-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the grip installed and I never remove it so I just use the battery in the grip and the battery compartment in the K-7 is empty. This just makes recharging the battery much easier for me since I dont have to remove the grip to charge the battery. Once spare batteries are readily available I have a spare one charged in the case
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think putting the one battery in the grip is a great idea! When I'm at an event I'll put lithiums in, but for general use the battery in the grip seems to be the way to go.

Can't wait for the K7 to arrive, waiting.... waiting.... waiting....
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Grip user here. I keep the battery in the grip and no battery in the cam (for now). Once non pentax ones become available I will purchase a couple more as back-ups.

c[_]
08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Grip user here. I keep the battery in the grip and no battery in the cam (for now). Once non pentax ones become available I will purchase a couple more as back-ups.

c[_]
There are no third party batteries for the K7 available yet?