Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Pentax has four models for sale in the US, the K7, K20D, K2000 (K-m) and K200D. All are available brand-new, with a full factory warranty.

There is always a lag between the factory's production schedule and what is on the store shelves. What matters is the cameras that you can buy. I'm sure that there are plenty in the distribution pipeline.

If not all four models are being produced by the factory, that is probably because they are gearing up for one or more new models.

08-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

An FD'r eh?

I've owned and used a variety of F-1 film bodies but never owned or used an A Series.

I dropped by my favorite local shop. Tested 3 old pentax lenses and left instead with a 500mm Nikkor C Mirror. I owned one before, & sold it to get in deeper into pentax back before nikon had cheap full frame and today I got another nikon mirror for $150 with complete 5 screw in 39mm rear filter set and real leather case. Glad to see my crystral ball is receiveing good strong vibes, ;^) as I really felt I need to drop by The Shop.

When You persue one brand , like Pentax, the deals are what ever they are. Persue 2 or 3 brands and the best deals can get better. I follow 5 brands now due to extreme eos adaptability and I DO LOVE buying 1977 and later nikon glass locally at good guy prices. ITS ALL Plentiful & affordable, no delivery fees & no mystery goods received. I live in a smallish 500,000 person sized town, big enough for nikon deals but too small for pentax to bother making a K-7 presence in.

Its crazy how cool the Nikon 500mm f8 is with D700. Its like a Limited Super Telephoto, just a slower aperture. Mine is in last 3,000made prior to 1984. Pentax never made a straight 500mm mirror ,just that odd & crazy dark 400-600 SMC zoom mirror. Tried it once and ran away when I saw the $800 price tag. $800 is a bit below what my 300mm 2.8 Nikon in flight trunk ran me. Owning and persuing more than one brand is good for me, maybe not so good for Pentax or their Hoya Overlords.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stewart E Quote
Well, just remember the old days...
Canon F-1
A-1
AE-1 Program
AE-1
AV-1
AT-1

Canon has a long history of lots of concurrent models.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
08-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems to me it might be a good time to keep the product line simple. The release of the K-7 gave them a cover for the discontinuation of good, but no longer core, products. In good times you can flood the market with options: now, not so much.
08-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Pentax has four models for sale in the US, the K7, K20D, K2000 (K-m) and K200D. All are available brand-new, with a full factory warranty.

There is always a lag between the factory's production schedule and what is on the store shelves. What matters is the cameras that you can buy. I'm sure that there are plenty in the distribution pipeline.

If not all four models are being produced by the factory, that is probably because they are gearing up for one or more new models.
Exactly, well said.

Jas

08-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Don't forget the sharks.

And while you're at it, make it an Old Kentucky Shark.
That species of shark was declared endangered.

We've got...sea bass.
08-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears that Pentax only has the manufacturing capacity for 2 DSLR models. I don't consider that a problem. They probably have a stock of K20D's to ship for a while but if they don't then that's a good thing. Unsold inventory isn't something any manufacturer wants.

While there are several Canon Rebel models I wonder how many are still coming off the assembly lines. I can only speak for what I see around here but the dept. stores camera dept's (Target, Walmart,etc) are not even stocking any of the newer models. I only see Nikon D40's and Canon XTI's, all last years models and even older.
08-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
That species of shark was declared endangered.

We've got...sea bass.
Are they ill-tempered?

08-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I've owned an A-1 and AE-1, grat cameras esp the A-1. I loved the handling. Then following the into of the T-series I migrated over to pentax. I may yet add another A-1 to the collection. There's just somethingabout shooting film. Its more pure (for lack of a better term) and deliberate. The old goal used to be aim for 1-2 keeper per 36 exp roll.
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I've owned and used a variety of F-1 film bodies but never owned or used an A Series.

I dropped by my favorite local shop. Tested 3 old pentax lenses and left instead with a 500mm Nikkor C Mirror. I owned one before, & sold it to get in deeper into pentax back before nikon had cheap full frame and today I got another nikon mirror for $150 with complete 5 screw in 39mm rear filter set and real leather case. Glad to see my crystral ball is receiveing good strong vibes, ;^) as I really felt I need to drop by The Shop.

When You persue one brand , like Pentax, the deals are what ever they are. Persue 2 or 3 brands and the best deals can get better. I follow 5 brands now due to extreme eos adaptability and I DO LOVE buying 1977 and later nikon glass locally at good guy prices. ITS ALL Plentiful & affordable, no delivery fees & no mystery goods received. I live in a smallish 500,000 person sized town, big enough for nikon deals but too small for pentax to bother making a K-7 presence in.

Its crazy how cool the Nikon 500mm f8 is with D700. Its like a Limited Super Telephoto, just a slower aperture. Mine is in last 3,000made prior to 1984. Pentax never made a straight 500mm mirror ,just that odd & crazy dark 400-600 SMC zoom mirror. Tried it once and ran away when I saw the $800 price tag. $800 is a bit below what my 300mm 2.8 Nikon in flight trunk ran me. Owning and persuing more than one brand is good for me, maybe not so good for Pentax or their Hoya Overlords.
How compatible is the D700 with older Nikon lenses as far as metering? Is it similar to issues with M series Pentax? A la they'll mount but won't meter automatically?

Just for future reference, in case I ever switch to the dark side.

The thing with the D700 is it's around the same price as the Canon 5d MkII yet a lot less MP's. I wonder what a full frame Pentax DSLR would cost, should they ever get to one. Considering they like to stay under the big names, yet the K-7 was $1300, I'd have to say it would be around $2000. Much higher than that would be a tough sell for the brand.
08-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Pentax will never offer a full frame dslr. It just will not happen

so its best to accept that pentax will never offer full frame. I spent a couple years willing it to happen, for a year here there was a thread that the next dslr from pentax would be full frame. Benjikans thread. Instead it was k2000 then K2000 in colors and k2000 with plastic mount kit lenses. ARGH.

D700 is pretty neat inthat you can log into it 9 lenses so it captures full metadata when shooting AiS glass. I specifically logged in:

8mm f2.8 and as I close aperture the camera automatically knows the adjusted aperture and records the change. Same with my 85mm 1.4, my 300mm 2.8 and then with 1.4x TC = 420 f4 and 2x TC =600mm 5.6. I just picked up a Nikon mirror 500mm and need to add it. All my test drive shots at the shop were exceptional. So I was obligated to drop $150 on it. I'm a couple lenses away in nikon system that will have then duplicated my pentax system. Well except for inbody antishake. Usable high iso I hope will counter inbody antishake option. Or I can use a tripod, the ultimate antishake assessory.

The D700 is up + ((($390))) since I got mine in Jan 2009. I have a feeling the days of sub $2,000 full frames may become a distant memory if Dollar stays low against the Yen. Maybe only sony will break the sub $2000 full frame barrier launch price. Canon 5D held its launch price a year before it dropped $400. D700 quickly shed launch money and recovered half the price drop a since I got mine.

As far as 12mp versus 21mp, I'm happy with 12mp. I need more computing power to handle larger files. My 5D are 12mp, the Nikon D700 is 12mp. The K20D is what like 14.6mp? I just don't need 20+ mp now or next few years. But I like some features on 5DII like lens customization for front focus and back focus for every eos lens made from 1987 thru now, no limit. Thats cool. Pentax does this with K-7 but only for their newest glass, which I own none.

I've only owned one M series pentax, the 15mm f3.5. I didn't like the metering offered by non A aperture lenses so I sold it and replaced it with 14mm f2.8 autofocus tamron. I don't have any problems metering A aperture lenses with K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
How compatible is the D700 with older Nikon lenses as far as metering? Is it similar to issues with M series Pentax? A la they'll mount but won't meter automatically?

Just for future reference, in case I ever switch to the dark side.

The thing with the D700 is it's around the same price as the Canon 5d MkII yet a lot less MP's. I wonder what a full frame Pentax DSLR would cost, should they ever get to one. Considering they like to stay under the big names, yet the K-7 was $1300, I'd have to say it would be around $2000. Much higher than that would be a tough sell for the brand.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-09-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: D700 went up again overnight. Now I saved $390 on mine
08-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
so its best to accept that pentax will never offer full frame. I spent a couple years willing it to happen, for a year here there was a thread that the next dslr from pentax would be full frame. Benjikans thread. Instead it was k2000 then K2000 in colors and k2000 with plastic mount kit lenses. ARGH.
I'd like a FF from Pentax........but don't think that just because it isn't out yet it won't be out. Pentax is following a history....brown (green, titan or whatever) limited editions of almost all their cameras is common just before another release goes out....this is a 30 year tradition. Look for the limited then watch what comes out. The ME Super was almost a decade behind the small bodied competition...and it still was a huge success. Perhaps FF won't come from Pentax...(I think it will)....but they will provide something late out of the gate that will keep them going.

I'm glad you like your Nikon....that's what matters....what one likes. I've dropped Canon for Pentax....and have held all major brands in my hands....and for me the tool I want to pick up is a Pentax. A little positive isn't so bad is it?
08-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Agree - the way your tool feels in your hands is very important

Dyl
08-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #28
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be a shame if Pentax never came through with a full frame, considering all the spectacular Pentax K- mount glass they've released over the years. It would be a travesty not to utilize them in the future. With that being said, I will be watching through the end of this year with a close eye on:

1) The D700's price
2) The upcoming D700x's price
3) The a900's price
4) The rumors of a new under $2000 FF Sony a850

How far in advance does Pentax release word of a new DSLR? I'm thinking if they ever come out with one, it won't be until spring or summer of 2010, but if I don't hear about it by the end of this year, or early next year, I may have already switched brands by then.
08-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
Veteran Member

This being hard times and all, ANY of the three camera makers that currently offer FF dSLRs (Nikon, Canon, Sony) could push a good deal more volume if they offered their FF cameras in PK mount (and for that matter, the mounts of the 2 others!), to make their cameras able to use more existing glass with full functionality. I'm actually kind of surprised given the Japanese "business is war" mentality that someone hasn't already done this. The argument that they shouldn't do so because they would hamper their own glass sales doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned, since the new digital-age business model is more about selling continual upgrades of camera bodies than it is about selling lenses, and once you make a FF chip, it pays to sell as many as you can.
08-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As nice as it would be to have the option of going FF with a Pentax dSLR, logistically it may take a while (if it does happen). There would have to be DA lenses made with FF capability in order to support a FF model, which many of the DA lenses are not.

Of course all the FA, F, M and Sigma/Tammy lenses would work just fine on a FF, but to remain economically viable there would have to be some new production in lenses to provide enough FL coverage and choice to compete with the other big guns...