Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D Custom FN settings

These settings are real confusing.

OK, when you press the FN button and then press OK to activate those "custom" functions, there seems to be no default setting. Is it "Natural", "Portrait"? But, then in each of those modes, you're able to change the sliders so what is the default setting? Also, were these each custom factory settings, as they all differ slightly. What I really can't understand is in two of the settings, I know one of them is Portrait, and I forget the other, all the 4 sliders are set to the center, but the shape around that CYM picture graph to the side is different for each and there doesn't seem to be any way to change or set that yourself like the sliders.

The user's guide is really vague on these settings. I either had mine set from the factory to "Bright" which has contrast and sharpness +1, or I inadvertently set it myself. I wonder if this is what has been causing my exposure issues. I had a shot metered several different ways today, and each time they were slightly overexposed. Could this be from these settings, or do these settings only convert the way the file is saved and should not have anything to do with exposure?

What does everyone else set their to for normal shooting. It seems Portrait mode has both the sliders and the picture graph all set to even. Is this the best?

08-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best is a subjective thing - if it weren't, they wouldn't bother giving you controls (they'd just use the best settings and not let you change them). But I believe your basic understanding of how this works is correct - you have the ability to customize how each of the different modes works. And each mode defaults to having different settings - otherwise, thy wouldn't be different modes at all! As for which is the default, well, I gues it is whichever the camera was set to when you bought it - apparently different models are set to different models, and in some cases, the same model is shipped with a different default depending on what country it was shipped to or what language you choose for your menus! But it's either Natural or Bright.

Anyhow, just think of these as giving a quick way of dialing in particular combinations of settings - by chaning from Natural to Bright or Landscape or whatever, you can in just a couple of clicks affect the settings of several controls.
08-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I guess mine was set to bright. I wonder if that setting could have prevented me from getting the correct exposure of a brightly lit daylight subject, with the Contrast and sharpness only set to +1 each. Do you know how to change the CMYK graph shape? It is neutral for portrait mode, but angled shapes in some of the other settings. I just wonder how much this affects overall color.
08-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is not CMYK. It is RYGCBM sixagon.

As point gets closer to border - this color becames more saturated. Closer to center - less.

08-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Thanks, I guess mine was set to bright. I wonder if that setting could have prevented me from getting the correct exposure of a brightly lit daylight subject, with the Contrast and sharpness only set to +1 each.
Prevented? No. But as is always the case, the camera can't read you mind, and depending on distribution of tones in the scene, the metering mode you used, and what you metered off, it's certainly perfectly possible that sometimes the camera will choose and exposure that is brighter (although more normally darker) than you wanted. And if the exposure chosen was bordering on brighter than you wanted, then indeed, the use of Bright mode and it's +1 contrast might have pushed the portions of the picture over the edge for you.

QuoteQuote:
Do you know how to change the CMYK graph shape?
No, and I'm not sure if it's possible to. I've never messed with this on my K200D (which seems to be pretty similar in this respect) since I shoot RAW and have full control of all this in PP, but I couldn't see a way to do it. There are controls for messing with that aspect of the color settings in the WB menu, though.
08-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
It is not CMYK. It is RYGCBM sixagon.

As point gets closer to border - this color becames more saturated. Closer to center - less.
Yes, that's it. Crazy sixagon, go figure! How on earth do you change it or get it to slide away from center? In the white balance setting like Marc said? There's absolutely nothing in the K20D manual for this setting.

That explains why portrait mode is neutral and close to the center.