Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

What to buy k10d , k200d or k100d super

I am making the move from a point and shoot to a dslr I don't know any thing about dslr's, but I want to get more into taking better pictures, and the quality of the pictures better than a point and shoot, I don't have a big budget but i want to get the best bang for my buck. First the camera then the lens. any suggestions, any help would be appreciated, Thanks

08-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

I have a K10D and I love it. For the price, I think that it is the most camera for the dollar.
08-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I agree with Pdxbmw, you should be aware that the k10 has serious metering errors with manual aperture lenses.
08-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by plenty Quote
I am making the move from a point and shoot to a dslr I don't know any thing about dslr's, but I want to get more into taking better pictures, and the quality of the pictures better than a point and shoot, I don't have a big budget but i want to get the best bang for my buck. First the camera then the lens. any suggestions, any help would be appreciated, Thanks
The K100D Super is a camera that leaves nothing to be desired. You get outstanding image quality, also at higher ISO, and your files don't become too big.

Only drawback I could imagine for this camera is that it's only 6 MP. That's enough for virtually every picture you will take, but if you want to crop you might run out of breath.

A K10D or K200D are good choices too, but they seem to do less well at higher sensitivities. The K10D is the most advanced of the two, but out of these two I would chose the K200D (for the AA's, and because earlier K10D's had some issues).

08-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You should really go research about how to use a dSLR first and then decide on which camera you should get.
08-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree that reading up on how dSLRs work and what you would like to get out of them would go a long way in knowing what camera's right for you.

Each of your suggestions is perfectly good - because all of the cameras are great cameras and will do a good job. It matters more what lenses you have attached to the camera...
08-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
A K10D or K200D are good choices too, but they seem to do less well at higher sensitivities.
Might be true of the K10D, whch was prone to banding issues, but it is not true of the K200D, based on my own direct comparisons using both JPG and RAW, as well as measurements performed by folks who actually analyze the data within the files for the noise content.

Really, I would say if you don't already know enough about the cameras, their features, and your own needs to be able to answer the question for yourself - or at least be able to put into words what the tradeoffs between them are as you see them being relevant for you, then my suggestion would be buy whichever is cheapest / easiest to get hold of. Because any of these will do a great job. The differences between them would only concern someone who is already pretty deep into the technical side of things, and in any case, such a person is probably going to want to upgrade to something newer / better in a couple of years anyhow.

08-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Plenty as it is your first post.
First is google the different DSLR camera models that you are interested in and read about their reviews.
You have steve's digicams, digital camera review and such so that you can see what actual character you would like per camera as each has its own special controls or features.
Know how many megapixel output you would really like and need as needless to say 6mp is enough for any 8X10 size print and even upto A3 size.
Take a look too at pictures taken by these cameras that you are interested in and also view their full size.
Flicker has samples of these taken also at full size and resolution.
After you have read on all of these and know what actual feature you would want and would still want to research more, then the forum members can help.
The only thing is if you haven't actually read each camera features and don't know enough about them, then even if I suggest that you should get the K100D super for high ISO performance then, you might not even have an idea as to what I might be talking about.
It all depends on your budget too.
I myself just bought a K100D super as I would want to later upgrade to the K7 once I have enough experience and saved money for the upgrade.
You can also read about these cameras on the forum's camera reviews.
08-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I just got the K100D ,,,does not look like the super is worth it ....read this Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com
08-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Welcome to the forums Plenty as it is your first post.
First is google the different DSLR camera models that you are interested in and read about their reviews.
You have steve's digicams, digital camera review and such so that you can see what actual character you would like per camera as each has its own special controls or features.
Know how many megapixel output you would really like and need as needless to say 6mp is enough for any 8X10 size print and even upto A3 size.
Take a look too at pictures taken by these cameras that you are interested in and also view their full size.
Flicker has samples of these taken also at full size and resolution.
After you have read on all of these and know what actual feature you would want and would still want to research more, then the forum members can help.
The only thing is if you haven't actually read each camera features and don't know enough about them, then even if I suggest that you should get the K100D super for high ISO performance then, you might not even have an idea as to what I might be talking about.
It all depends on your budget too.
I myself just bought a K100D super as I would want to later upgrade to the K7 once I have enough experience and saved money for the upgrade.
You can also read about these cameras on the forum's camera reviews.
I second that. In fact, I just took the exact route of k100d, expecting to upgrade to k7 in the future. Save some money for good lens; meanwhile wait for the price of k7 soon to drop (dare to dream).
08-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Inactive Account

1 vote for k100d Super

It's what I own. I really like it. Small, capable, and great IQ (especially in low light). The AF stinks in low light however. But apart from that. Very good camera.
08-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andreas Quote
A K10D or K200D are good choices too, but they seem to do less well at higher sensitivities.
Once you scale the output to the same size, the per-pixel noise advantage of the K100D goes away.
Select "SNR 18%" and "Print" in this K10D, K200D, K100D comparison. I had to pick the Nikon D40 instead of the K100D because the latter is not available but both use the same SONY sensor so that results should be pretty much the same.

If you read the dxomark explanations, you'll notice that the standard "Screen" results are per-pixel. The results for "Print" are normalised to the same output size. The per-pixel performance of the K10D/K200D isn't as good as the K100D's but they make up for it with more pixels, which -- when downscaled to the K100D's 6MP -- have almost the same noise. Hence, image noise is practically the same for all three cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denise Quote
I just got the K100D ,,,does not look like the super is worth it
I agree with respect to the dust reduction.

However, the "super" model supports SDM lenses (i.e., lenses with a built-in focus motor) whereas the K100D does not (uses in-body screw drive only). Not a big deal at all unless you start craving for SDM only lenses (of which are pretty few around, most support screw-drive or both).

On the flip side, the K100D still allows AF focus adjustment via a key sequence whereas the K100D super needs a special software.

Last edited by Class A; 08-09-2009 at 07:57 PM.
08-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thx guys for all the info I will research a little more and make a decision by the end of the week , however I did see a great deal on a k20 on craigslist $550.00 for slightly used one, very low action less than 1500 ad says I hope that is a good deal I may check it out Thank again
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Denise Quote
I just got the K100D ,,,does not look like the super is worth it ....read this Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com
The primary advantage of the Super is not the dust removal system (although I do find it at least somewhat effective) - it doesn't accomplish anything you can't do with a rocket blower. The main reason to get the Super is for SDM support. Although I think that's generally overrated too - by most accounts, SDM lenses focus more quietly but no more quickly, and are more prone to reliability issues. The only reason I'd personally have held out for a Super would be for the occasional lens like the DA17-70 that is SDM *only* and won't focus at all on older bodies. Not sure if there will be many such lenses or not, but I'd hate to lock myself out of ever using such a lens just to save a Jackson today.
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #15

Thx guys for all the info I will research a little more and make a decision by the end of the week , however I did see a great deal on a k20 on craigslist $550.00 for slightly used one, very low action less than 1500 ad says I hope that is a good deal I may check it out Thank again
Ritz Camera stores have been getting rid of Pentax stocks all year long. One store here had a demo k10d kit for $250 (with Ritz warranty), and another had NIB K100d-super kit for $200 -- better than forum marketplace or craigslist prices. You may want to call a few stores near you for availability, just in case.

Wasim