Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #1

K100d help, dropped camera

Hello
My K100D was dropped right on the top near the dial knob that changes modes.
It now has a small crack on the case. It also popped out the mode dial knob's indicator plate ( round metal piece with settings on it).
I managed to use 5 minute epoxy for the crack and re-glued the indicator plate back on the knob, there is a tiny alignment pin on the knob so you can't go wrong.
The camera works , sort of .
The problem is that now to get SCN mode I have to put the dial knob about half way between SCN and P .To use AV It has to be between AV and M.
In MANUAL between M and B . TV and P seem to be normal.
I can always us it this way but it really bugs me.
I tried to rotate the dial knob indicator plate a tiny bit both clockwise and also counterclockwise with no luck.
Anyone have any ideas or know how to open the camera ?
I really can't afford to repair it and my son uses it for school so any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Jose

08-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Can't help you I'm afraid but have you checked to see if it is covered under your house insurance?
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Hoser!
I know where you are coming from and with something like that it would also bug me!
So long as it still works and not much damage but just a misaligned dial.
The thing is, if you open up the camera, then you have a chance of messing it up more and might damage it more, so if you can live with the small irk, then i suggest you leave it as-is.
If you think that you can fix it by opening it up though, and the misalignment bothers you enough, then it is your equipment and you are responsible for it.
Good luck and update us if ever you get to fix it.
Somebody here might know how to open up one.
Looking forward to your future posts.
Welcome again.
08-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

my E ky is brokn unlss i slam it so bar with m....

i was on an ngagmnt shoot th othr day and as i turnd to mov and rcompos th nxt shot, my 50-135 slammd against a mtal pol that i didnt se

as it spun around and to th ground i accidntaly kickd it and snt it spinning and tumbling on th concrte.

whn i brak camras i snd thm back....you should too.

sorry bout my brokn kyboard

08-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Welcome to the forums Hoser!
I know where you are coming from and with something like that it would also bug me!
So long as it still works and not much damage but just a misaligned dial.
The thing is, if you open up the camera, then you have a chance of messing it up more and might damage it more, so if you can live with the small irk, then i suggest you leave it as-is.
If you think that you can fix it by opening it up though, and the misalignment bothers you enough, then it is your equipment and you are responsible for it.
Good luck and update us if ever you get to fix it.
Somebody here might know how to open up one.
Looking forward to your future posts.
Welcome again.
I agree with gerryL.You got to weigh up whether it would be worth opening the camera up.There are alot of sensitive parts in it,and also letting excessive dust.I also have a K100D,and by looking at it,there are quit a few screws to undo.Maybe you should take it to a good repairer,and get a quote on what the problem is and how much it is going to cost to repair.That way,you'll know whether it would be fixable by yourself,pay the repairer or leave it the way it is.Goodluck on your decision.Hopefully someone out there may have some better advice.
08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoser Quote
Anyone have any ideas or know how to open the camera?
If you are brave, patient and very careful, perhaps you can make use of a service manual. Check "Older models" to see whether your camera is included.
08-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
You sir are a gentleman, its just what I need.I just hope I don't mess it up more than it is now
Thank you very much !
Jose

Last edited by hoser; 08-10-2009 at 12:58 AM.
08-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the knob drives a rotary switch inside the body. I would guess some of the contacts on the rotary switch, probably related to SCN and AV mode have been knocked out of position.

If everything else seems to be functioning properly, its probably not such a big deal. You do want a camera repairer to deal with it - opening up the guts of a dSLR sounds like the equivalent of minor surgery....