Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K200D & Varta Ready2use NiMh's ¿?

Anyone had any issues using Varta 2100mAh Ready2Use NiMh's with the K200D?

Initially I had no problems but more recently I am getting some weird situations where the battery indicator is dropping to half and even empty after only a few shots.

I have read in other posts that the recovery voltage can vary greatly between the different brands of NiMh's and this can lead to problems as the K200D is very fussy on load voltage.

I would have thought Varta a good choice being one of the worlds best battery companies?

I will also get some Sanyo Eneloops to try as well to rule out any possible problem with the camera.

I am also trying a different charger too just in case.

I noticed that the settled voltage of fully charged Varta's to be 1.29Volts after sitting for some weeks where as Sony (Eneloop rebrands) that I got with the camera sit at 1.33Volt under the same conditions. Not a huge difference but perhaps enough if the camera is that fussy?

I also wonder about the contacts as I have found that spinning the batteries in the camera slightly depressed before closing the battery compartment can sometimes make the batteries work better. However I have read that the battery meter can be fooled by switching on and off etc so perhaps this is all that's happening.

Idea's? Comments?
.-.-.

08-09-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.

You might be looking too deeply into this: what you're noticing is a common phenomenon with all Pentax dSLRs that need AA batts and get the standard supermarket-variety rechargeable AAs.

Varta batts aren't the best for high-powered devices and even new and fully charged Varta rechargeables (and I've used both the ready2use and regular 2500mAh types) show their inability to keep up with the demand of the cams by dropping quickly down to half batt level and taking little time to become exhausted.

Better off sticking with the more reliable, low discharge rate AAs like the eneloops and Energiser rechargeable brands.
08-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I still have the original Lithiums in my camera and the Eneloops in the grip. No drainage as of yet.
08-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

I use quite a few sets of Varta 2100mAh Ready2Use NiMh Batts, but all of them are in my flash or as backup. No problem so far.

Something I learn from the past is, the type of battery charger matters. My chargers that only work in pairs are gathering dust now. I'm using charger that can charge individual cell, as well as discharge them so that I know all my batteries are healthy.

Maybe getting a charger that has LED indicator for individual cell is a worthwhile investment?

08-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's true, and one that has the negative delta V and temperature protection technology is the way to go - Maha make superior chargers in this regard. I have one myself and it DOES make a significant difference with regards to AA rechargeables' life as well as charge.
08-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

yeah, charger matters a lot, la crosse chargers seem pretty regarded.

also definitely get LSD. A very good battery forum is candlepower. Here is an interesting post comparing some LSD's, lithiums, and CR-V3 - interesting result, too.

CandlePowerForums - View Single Post - eneloop vs. Kodak Pre-Charged Voltage Maintenance
08-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What you are looking at is the voltage difference between the Varta and the Eneloops after sitting for a while but what you should be really looking at and what actually matters is the current retained by the battery.
Even if a rechargeable battery reads that is has enough voltage (like 1.2V or even 1.5V) it might not have enough stored current to power your camera, more so that it has been known that DSLRs need the sustaining power of the hybrid batteries.
Your regular batteries might be showing you that it has charged but it might not be actually showing you full battery current capacity..meaning if it is rated at 2100 mah but it might only be charging upto 600mah or less.
It would still give you the 1.2V or more reading but just won't give you its full rated current capacity.
Smart chargers are able to detect this and with the simplest smart charger, it won't charge the bad battery and indicate that it is such.
With better smart chargers, you actually have an LCD monitor that shows you the charge that the battery is able to hold and even condition the battery before fully charging.
The regular eneloop charger with just red and green LED lights are your simple smart chargers while the Maha or Powerex or La Crosse chargers are the more fancy ones with the LCD screens, etc.

08-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
So whats changed?

OK thanks for the replies guys.

Well some more info from me.

The camera did work fine with these batteries for a number of cycles. I got several hundred shots from a set of Varta batteries.

So what's changed now for this to no longer happen?

The Varta Ready2Use batteries are the same low self discharging chemistry type as the Enepools and Varta is a big name in batteries. I have had no problems with these in other devices so far.

My chargers while not the best money can buy they are high end good quality ones using Neg Delta V and individual cell monitoring etc.

Vanson V-6988, 10x AA/AAA -Neg Delt V Computer controlled Charger

Hong Kong SAR Computer-controlled Ni-MH and Ni-Cd Battery Charger. Manufacturer, Exporter

--

MinWah Intercept MW8998, 10x AA/AAA -Neg Delt V Charger.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3551&CATID=18&form=CAT&SUBCATI...T&SUBCATID=295

Minwa Electronics Co., Ltd.

>Products>chargers>NiMh>-Delt-V>page 7>MW8998

I will look into some better chargers again but I only buy 10x AA capacity chargers and refuse to fast charge batteries.

I will also buy some Eneloop's from Woolies today to try.

.-.-.
08-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is battery type set to "auto" in your cam? Set it to "NiMH" and see if it gets better. Make sure all 4 batteries are in good condition and fully charged. If one of them isn't then that's enough to trigger low battery warning on the camera.

I also use Varta ready2use and I'm satisfied with them. I can get 5-600 shots out of them over 1-2 month (I take most of the shots at weekends) with 1 charge.
08-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks SIMICO.

At least I know now that VARTA is OK.

Now, I can't find this menu anywhere in my K200D for battery type from AUTO to NiMh. ?? Nor in the manual.

Closest thing is to select battery usage when adding a Grip. But nothing else??

When reading through the manual before I notice they mention the camera false triggering the flat battery status when in cold weather!.

I am now wondering if this is the mystery difference that's suddenly made things go haywire??

See it's been quiet cold here. But probably still 10 deg C or better.

Oh well, lets try for this mystery battery menu first.. Any idea's?

.-.-.
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The battery type menu in question is K-m/K2000 only, I think. No diea why your Vart's aren't cutting it for you any more, but assuming you get a set of known good batteries like Eneloops and they work fine, I'd blame it on the batteries. If you can't get Eneloops to work, then I'd start wondering about the camera, or the charger.
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Your battery charger seem great enough to provide a good charge.
As Marc suggested, try other types of battery and immediately and do a trial by elimination.
The faster you know that it is not the camera, then the better.
If it is the camera though, at least, if you catch it early, you might still be good for warranty and shouldn't waste any time having Pentax get a go-over it.
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although Varta are a common name in batteries, I'm not so sure they have the same quality as Eneloop or Energizer. I have used Varta in the past and have found several cells not recharging adequately even after less than 6 months of use (and a handful of recharges).
08-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes all my Varta batteries are pretty much brand new. They have all had less then 5 cycles.

I didn't get a chance to buy some eneloops yesterday but I will make a point of it today when I am out.

As for warranty unfortunately I live in Australia. They aren't worth the paper they are written on over here. If it is in fact faulty it will be a bin item.

I actually have a set of Sony batteries that came with the camera by mistake. I believe these are an eneloop rebrand. I will try them again also. They have been sitting some weeks so the voltage on those has settled as well.

These tests will take some time I guess, unless I just take a heap of useless shots constantly but I think that would be a wasteful unnecessary wear on the camera.

.-.-.
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not used Varta batteries for years. The last time I tried, they were far from the best. If Eneloop works for you, just forget Varta and move on. This Sony is actually Eneloop with Sony label.