Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax no good for action shots

As we all know sloppy AF performance and slow frame rate make the Pentax system totally unfit for action photography

Being my usual ignorant myself, I still took my Pentax gear to the recent world championship rally near by.
Enclosed some snapshots of a car approaching at 140-150 km/h.

Seriously speaking there may still be faster AF systems than the current K 7 one, but it sure is a major improvement over the previous ones. And the frame rate is more than sufficient for my needs!

Attached Images

Last edited by PePe; 03-04-2016 at 09:22 AM.
08-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a succesful series of captures.
AF managed well under the circumstances and the images are reasonably sharp.
Only what happened to the driver and car after the last shot?!?
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait to see shots 6,7,8!!
08-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

One thing for sure is photographer is still alive to tell the tale..and post some pictures..

08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pepe,
Between your car shots, and the current thread from WalterGA on the national diving meet with a K20/Sigma combo, I would say all that moaning about the Pentax AF is not very relevant any more.

Congratulations on your images - fantastic!!

Phil (diving for cover :-))
08-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow Pepe,
Saw the TV footage of that....incredible.
Russian driver and an Australian navigator I think, and they were very lucky they made such a perfect landing, otherwise it could have got serious.

Too bad if you had any engineering secrets tucked away under the car

Great capture, thanks for sharing.
08-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Pepe,
Between your car shots, and the current thread from WalterGA on the national diving meet with a K20/Sigma combo, I would say all that moaning about the Pentax AF is not very relevant any more.

Congratulations on your images - fantastic!!

Phil (diving for cover :-))
I was doing a lot of "fooling around" photographing that diving meet, as that was the first occasion where I'd used the new Sigma with the K20D for any kind of action photography. I took a few shortcuts, as I wasn't trying to capture pics for the cover of S.I., but just kind of acclimating myself to the camera and lens.

I'd let the camera use AF and focus on the tip of the diving board, then quickly switch to MF before using the "Hi" continuous feature. Continuous shooting seems to work a lot smoother and faster for me when the camera's not having to focus. I was using high-enough f-stops so I knew I'd have a pretty long depth-of-field. Some of the shots, in hindsight, would have been better, had I opened up the aperture and blurred the background.

The fly-in-the-ointment for me, in deciding to go with the K20D, as opposed to the 50D that I'd been lusting after, was the low f.p.s. on the K20D. However, that was a tradeoff I was willing to make, in that I got the K20D for $629. I like the Pentax controls and menu choices over the Canon...maybe because I've been shooting with an istDs2 for four years now. Also like being able to get cheap memory cards and to use the same cards that I've been using.

08-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #8

Nice series. I too have used a Pentax in sports photography with good success.

However I do think the main difference is that here you show us the Buffer shots on the k-7 and we miss the aftermath. On most of the Canikon's you would have had shots 6,7,8,9,10,11...

Depends on how much of the action you need to capture.
08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

jimboberella, Not so. I've done a little of this (not much though) and in every case, set the camera to Jpeg with an ExtremeIII card. The camera will fire at 3Fps for more than 20 frames before a buffer pause. Plus if you wanted to use the burst mode, you can take over a 100 frames at lower res (21Fps) If you set the camera to AFc and Hi, it can do the job. In MF it's even faster.
08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #10

Agreed you can do more but the extra shots on a Cannikon (@3.5-5fps) will also be interleaved with the 3fps you can get on the Pentax showing you more of the series and deeper into the series, as some can do it @3fps to card full.

I'm not bagging Pentax here but it is a fact that Bust shooting is a weak point, but not one that can't be delt with, or that is not compensated by other great features.
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very good series.....thanks for sharing.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought...OMG, not another "war".....but it turns out to be a very good post.
08-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #12

for me K-7 seems good for car drift
some shots with slow 50-135 and 55-300

Drift Kova 3 | Ryga 2009-08-08
08-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Am I the only one who noticed the last shot is badly out of focus?
08-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Now, we just need an RH-equivalent to come along and remind us no-big-deal, even an entry level-Canon would have taken more shots in the time period, and all perfectly in focus....
08-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #15
Forum Member

I thought the worst also, when I saw the thread title.

That's a great series of shots! Pentax can do sports, no problems.

If you don't mind - here's a few shots I got from the K-7 on the weekend. These are not a burst sequence, though I did a couple of those.

These were shot at around f/3.2 on AF-C