Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

About 70 % of my photo's are keepers. 10 % of those are Ok to Pretty good, and out of those Ok to Pretty good about 10 % are great.

08-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe one shot per roll or 2 of film.
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I use ratings in my cataloging program, which allows me to identify several levels of "keepers":

- First, I should mention I may delete some in camera if they are out of focus, badly under/overexposed, and I have an obviously better shot of the same subject. But by this definition, it's probably 90-95% keepers.

- Once imported to my computer I have some pictures I'll rate "1" - my lowest rating. I usually end up deleting these when I'm done.

- The ones I rate "2" don't get deleted, but I don't bother doing an PP or even generating any JPEG's from these. They get cataloged and archived, that's it. These are "keepers" only in the most literal sense of not actually being deleted. Maybe 80-90% of what comes off the camera.

- The ones I rate "3" or higher are the ones that get any attention at all, then. I may do some PP, and I'll definitely generate JPEG versions - medium resolution, big enough to view full screen or print 4x6, small enough that I can have as many as I want on my laptop internal drive forever. These are keepers in the sense that these are the images I actually have on my computer and have available to look at. This is maybe 30-40% of what I shoot.

- The ones I rate "4" or higher are the ones I think are special enough to post or otherwise share with others. I'll share some 3's sometimes if I think someone might be interested enough in the subject itself to want to see images not special enough to otherwise merit a 4. The 4's are the top 10%.

- Someday I plan to go back through my older images and identify a few as 5's - these are the ones that I still think about and can still see in my head years later. I've seen no point in giving anything this rating during my initial rating period (which is usually during my first viewing of the images), but the idea of going back and letting the test of time tell me which deserve 5's is appealing. This would be *way* less than 1% - I'm thinking on the order of 1 in several thousand.
This is scarily similar to what I do, Marc... However, I've rated a few shots 5's, not because they might be technically perfect but because they hold special value to me.

Statistics are fairly telling: 64% of the shots in my library are rated as 2's, 25.5% as 3's, 10% as 4's and 0.5% as 5's...

Thomas
08-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is an interesting thread. I was always curious as to how many shots a person actually kept!

Mine is usually 5 out of 100 shots. Sometimes it might be higher, sometimes it might be lower, but ever since I got the 50-135mm, I'd say it is probably near 10/100 now.

08-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
jky
Inactive Account

"Keepers" as in decent photos that I'm personally satisfied with....

I'll equate this to film: 1-3 photos for every 2-3 rolls of film (36 exp) on a good day.
... However, those 1-3 make up for all the other crappy shots...
08-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
This is an interesting thread. I was always curious as to how many shots a person actually kept!

Mine is usually 5 out of 100 shots. Sometimes it might be higher, sometimes it might be lower, but ever since I got the 50-135mm, I'd say it is probably near 10/100 now.
I rarely discard a shot that I made on purpose unless I've got many more very much like it, or if it's out of focus or a bad exposure. You never know when I might find a use for it. A keeper is one that I'd classify as one I'd be proud to show.

Last edited by jimH; 08-11-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edit: added comment
08-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, tough one to answer.

Technically well excuted, right exposure, right focus etc, probably 50% when doing birding, 99% when shooting other subjects. (Main problem with birding is framing, especially the faster ones, and occasionally even a good AF system will fail you as well.) I can shoot lots and lots of very dull but technically excellent shots.

After that, I keep maybe 5% of my bird shots (most get tossed out because of head angle issues, bad wing position, head partially obscured blah blah -- when you have fast moving birds flapping past you can't really worry about the decisive moment). Probably 20% of the other shots. I delete the ones that don't really stand out.

Then once a month or so I go prune my Lightroom catalog and probably kick out 30-40% of it every time.

End result is I really don't have a ton of shots, but the ones I do have I quite enjoy.
08-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I will typically toss about 5-10% the first time that I look at them;generally exposure, focus, etc. problems. I usually keep the rest on file. As I print my images, the term "keeper" for me is probably best related to those I end up printing seriously. Shots of grandchildren, family events, documentation, have a higher print rate as it is the subject matter versus "art". Of the rest, I would guess that I print maybe 5%. I am a bit reluctant to dump things as I find that I have been able to go back after some time and see things that I didn't see earlier. I've also found that with new skills and/or software, I can get prints from older shots that I couldn't get quite right the first time around. This has been especially true with conversions to B&W and with B&W printing (newer/better printer and ink technology). Right now I'm looking through scans that I did some years ago because certain pictures still are stuck in my head and I couldn't get them to print right the first time around.

08-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #24

Keeper Ratio:

Most of my camera time is outdoors doing nature photography. I love macro. Insects, flowers, fungus, etc...

I would guess usually less than 10% percent I actually post. Frequently less than 5%.

As far as keepers, close to 100%. However, I need to work on my pack-rat tendencies. that ratio should be closer to my actual posting rate.

At least storage is cheap.
08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

question is...what do you do with the photos you don't consider keepers? I keep all my photos but only share the ones I deem acceptable for others to view

i have a two year backlog of DSLR photos that is eating up my hard drive (AND EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE)...I need to go back through all those folders and delete the stuff I don't need I guess.
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
question is...what do you do with the photos you don't consider keepers? I keep all my photos but only share the ones I deem acceptable for others to view
If they don't warrant deleting when I am first looking through them, it's seldom worthwhile to do so later. Consider: with a 1 TB external hard drive costing all of around $100, HD space right now is running about ten cents a gigabyte. If your files are around 10MB a piece, that's a dime to store one hundred pictures. Think about how much time it takes you to find 100 pictures you want to delete, then ask yourself if spending that time was worth saving a dime to you. You'd have to be finding and deleting 7000 pictures an hour just to be paying yourself minimum wage: $7 buys you 70GB = 7000 pictures worth of space on a 1 TB drive.

Of course, if during your original run through your pictures after downloading, you go ahead and tag some that you're pretty sure you won't mind deleting later, than finding the pictures to delete later isn't so hard. That's how I use my "1" rating. These days I normally delete them immediately after looking through a card, but I've got a few thousand 1's from previous years I could easily find and delete in just a few clicks, if I wished.
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Probably if I were to say on average around 7-12 out of perhaps 50-100 shots per clothing change. To get to that I go through two rounds. Once down to the finals, it gets really more difficult, as I have to imagine them working as a sequence with the other images in a story of perhaps 8-16 pages. Making the decision of that "1" image is a real bitch and that depends on the mood I am in.
08-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
Forum Member

I'd show 15-20% of my shots to other people but the wow shots ratio is 1/200 if I'm lucky.
And I never delete pictures (you never know when they may be useful) and I sometimes like to pick a ridiculously bad picture and flex my photoshop muscles on it (sometimes I even get decent results out of it ).
08-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
Moderator PEG Judges

I tend to come at this from the other way round and work on the premise of the number of shots I need for the assignment.

I then take as many as I need to in order to give me that required number, plus a few to make sure.

Kinda counting the positives and not the negatives.
08-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
BTW - I have one info to share with and a take away as well.

I'm a beginner, so would like to preserve all my photos.
Reason: I ask my friends (senior photographers) to review and offer feedback. There is something which I miss in every other shot. So, it’s learning for me. I would say some 10% of my photos are good - again a relative term.

Take away: Not all your shots come out great - a consolation for a beginner like me…