Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Well said, woodworm. For me, it really depends on what I'm shooting. For example, if I'm shooting a client for a portrait, I'll usually keep everything that's in focus and well-exposed. That doesn't mean that I'll show them to the client. I'll usually show around 6-10% to the client. Of these, I usually have 1 or 2 that are "the one", although sometimes not,

If I'm shooting wildlife, it's a totally different story. For the most part I'm trying different compositions, exposures, zoom lengths, etc. It's not so much about perfect framing or tack sharp results but more about the "feel" of the piece. Again, I'll shoot maybe 150 shots in a lengthy session and I'll have a dozen or so that I think are worth doing something with. It seems like about a 10% hit rate but for totally different reasons.

Shooting macro work? Now it's down to focus point, depth of field, composition, etc. I'll get more "keepers" with macro but I'm usually a heck of a lot more demanding about what I'm satisfied with.

So, I guess I would summarize to say, the higher the control I have over the shoot, the more "keepers" but the expectations also go up as well. Lower control over the situation, I'll be more satisfied with a "good enough" that might not make it past the second screening in a controlled shoot.

Does anyone else have a similar approach?

08-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

It certainly depends on the subject! Mine can range from 25-50% with birding (average depends on speed, etc. of subject) to much higher with macro. Usually the camera's AF is the issue and I'm exceeding it's limits. BTW, that's been with Canon and Pentax bodies in the $1300 USD range, so let that issue drop like a rock...

My keeper rate has certainly gone up and the number of shots taken has definitely gone down. This translates into less time spent reviewing, PP'ing etc. Faster work flow overall...

Cheers,
Marc
08-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been doing a lot outdoor nature figure nudes lately and the percentage of "keepers" or what I would call "worth post-processing and printing" is in the 1%-5% range. When I do bracketed shots for HDRs of live models, percentage drops a bit lower due to movement....but if I didn't get a good HDR bracket, at least I've got the potential of ONE good photo from the bracket!

Regards,
Terry
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #34
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Surprisingly, even with instant review on the monitor of a DSLR and more control in PP of exposure, I've got more keepers exposure wise when I shot film. Slides, in fact. I could shoot 100 slides with my PZ-1P and exposure would be perfect on 96 of them. When I shoot 100 pictures on my K20d, I will get about 20 that don't have the right exposure I expected. 4 bad compared to 20 bad isn't a good ratio.

08-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #35

As others have said, it all about what you are shooting.
Holiday snaps/test photos/trying out a new lens or equipment - everything that's not total crap gets saved.
Commercial shots - as above, everything that's not crap gets saved but the customer will probably only see 10-50% of the total depending on the details.
Shots for competitions or similar - less than 1% will be seen by the public, I can go and take a lot of shots to try to get that "one" that I really like.
As for backing things up, I keep things on a back up drive and then save permanently on a cd/dvd. Takes up space, but backup drives will fail sooner or later.
Being a ex-IT person, I feel more comfortable with having backups on disk.
08-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Landscape - 1 to 25 or so - but I tend to bracket like crazy and shoot various perspective variants before liking one
People, spur of moment - higher, but it's not what I like doing so I keep very few.
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

will the K7 cause it to go down?

with the increased frame rate of the K7 will the keeper ratio go down because people are in machine gun mode?

08-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Usually mine is around 10 out of 100 photos.
What does it really matter what the "keeper" ratio is? If you're shooting the cover of Vogue magazine (or any other magazine) you may shoot 2-300 pictures. Only 1 will make it in the end.
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Damn Brit

I throw all mine back, I'm a sport shooter only.
08-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well, that's hard to say right now. I am still getting acquainted with my new(used) K20d. and I am trying out different exposure techniques. in Multi-Segment and Center-Weight metering. And differant jpg settings. So right now...I guess -0-, but I still develop a few of the "Test" photos. In those - 2/10 or so.

When I get more confident in how to set up the camera to my liking. It should get a little better...But, since it is digital, I shoot more variations to pick a few keepers. I may shoot 10-20 of one subject at different settings and use 2 or 3.

In the film days the rate would be higher..(Because of the cost of D/P)
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went through the 334 from Saturday of outdoor sports in good daylight (DA 55-300mm) and 79 from tonight (DA 18-250mm) of baseball. I know I will keep about a dozen from Saturday and just ONE from tonight, after a bit of struggle.

I am thinking may be I am just a bad shot.
09-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #42

Keepers versus Winners

Since January 1 I've taken about 5,000 photos and kept about 1,000, so my keeper rate is 20%. That said, most of the photos I keep aren't all that great (some are downright terrible). I keep them to document my world and my growing family. About 100 of these photos I consider "winners" (really good photos for me at my current skill level, which is beginner), a 2% rate.

- Mike
09-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I throw all mine back, I'm a sport shooter only.
I was trying to think of some smart remark to respond to this but I can't, but that's very sporting of you.
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Maybe one shot per roll or 2 of film.
What is film?
09-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get two keepers per shot, but only when I order double prints.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-04-2009 at 05:10 PM.