Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K7 Video Question

Hi there everyone,

I am looking to upgrade from my *istD to the new K7 and just doing a bit of research. Hopefully you guys can help me!

One of the things I like about the new K7 is the video function - the only concern I have is that it appears to only allow manual focus mode with video. Is this in fact the case? And if so, is this something that people with this camera are happy to live with?

Thanks in advance!

08-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The camera will AF before you start recording the video, but is manual focus only while recording... for my application, this is fine, especially with a fairly wide lens, focusing to the hyperfocal distance works quite well... for instance with the 18-55mm @ 18mm, you can use a small aperture like f/14 and a hyperfocal type of focus point to have acceptable foucs from 2ft to infinity...

Here's an example I recently shot with my K-7 and the 16-50mm @ 16mm...
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
The camera will AF before you start recording the video, but is manual focus only while recording... for my application, this is fine, especially with a fairly wide lens, focusing to the hyperfocal distance works quite well... for instance with the 18-55mm @ 18mm, you can use a small aperture like f/14 and a hyperfocal type of focus point to have acceptable foucs from 2ft to infinity...

Here's an example I recently shot with my K-7 and the 16-50mm @ 16mm...
Nice videos!

I guess the question I have is whether the K7's video function is practical enough to negate the need for a dedicated video camera?

I am selling the idea of an upgrade to the wife by putting to her that we would be upgrading the old Digital 8 videocam and the *istD at the same time.
08-10-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Banned

I use wide angle lenses when I want everything in focus with the K-7. The 18-55 kit lens @18mm is great for shooting video of kids outside etc. Here is a video with my 15mm F2.8: