Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 04:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
new to the camera world

i have just got a pentax K200D and was hoping that i could ask a question
this may be a dumb question but i am not sure if when taking the photo if it can be brought up on the monitor or if it just stays black if this can be done can someone please tell me how. once again i am very new.

08-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lisa Quote
i have just got a pentax K200D and was hoping that i could ask a question
this may be a dumb question but i am not sure if when taking the photo if it can be brought up on the monitor or if it just stays black if this can be done can someone please tell me how. once again i am very new.
You normally will see a short (2-4 second) review of the photo right after taking it, then using the "Play" button you can review all pictures.

But you really need to pick up the manual -- this stuff is covered pretty early on.
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with pingflood. Read parts of the manual. I think there is an option in the K200D menu on this exact topic. You can have the image displayed after you take it or not ( i have no idea which is standard on the K200D you so have to dig through the menu).
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It occurs to me you might mean, can you see what you are *about* to take a picture of. That feature is called "liveview". It' something most P&S cameras have because there viewfidners are so terrible. DSLR's traditionally haven't had this feature because the whole *point* of a DSLR has traditonally been the viewfinder, and the design that makes this possible (a mirror that takes the images comign in from the lens and redirects it to the viewfinder) actually makes implementing liveview very difficult. Recently, a few DSLR's have started doing so anyhow, usually with results that are very disappointing, since a DSLR was not really designed to work that way. Anyhow, the K200D doe not feature liveview. IMHO, you're better off without it.

08-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Lisa!
The way I understand your question is the way Marc interprets it too.
You might be asking about "live view" or the way the P&S (point and shoot) cameras work.
You have to view the photo you want to take by looking into the viewfinder with your K200D.
This is how the SLRs usually work.
It is only recently that they introduced "live view" where there is a live streaming of the image direct to the LCD monitor on the back of the camera.
This usually zaps a lot of battery power if you constantly use it, but for your K200D, it doesn't have this feature.
The LCD monitor on the back is for playback or review of the photos/images you have taken.
The K20D and K7 does have the "live view" feature albeit the K20D is kinda basic to describe it kindly.
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks to everyone that replied and yes it was the view finder that i was talking about just wasn't sure if i could do it. thanks again
08-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that we now have a generation of people who will find it incredibly odd to hold a camera to their face and look through it?

It is another of those changes that marks a generational shift brought on by and marked by technological advances. They seem to be more frequent and more rapid these days.
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thing is, I think they are both "right" and wrong". There is no doubt whatsoever that holding the camera against your face is going allow you to get far sharper pictures - you just can't hold a camera that steady at arm's length. And of course, LCD's are power hungry, hard to see in sunlight, etc. So looking through is clearly superior except in the relatively rare situations when it isn't practical. On the other hand, the whole idea of needing a mirror and all the Rube Goldberg stuff going on inside the camera just to accomplish that is pretty crazy. A decidedly Industrial Revolution - era solution to a problem that should have a more elegant technological solution - and probably will when the EVF gets good enough.