08-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7 on PPG

finally some pictures on PPG taken with K-7

PENTAX Photo Gallery

08-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Not Registered

Wow, some of the pictures has oversaturation written all over it. I wonder if it will be Firefox
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not with firefox and still oversaturation all over ...
08-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
finally some pictures on PPG taken with K-7

PENTAX Photo Gallery
Actually I like the colors...yeah they are well saturated but it works. Nice job and congrats....

BTW, you sneaky dawg....Garrapata Beach...it's a NUDE BEACH up near Big Sur...

EDIT: D'oh!! I thought YOU took the shots...still nice to see them and I like them none the less...

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-10-2009 at 08:44 AM.
08-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Not Registered

I guess that it is a matter of tastes.

If I ever see the color of the sky as the one of the Garrapata beach shoot I will run as fas as I can to the next nuclear shelter.
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "Garrapata" seems too oversaturated but it has a Velvia look to it. The other two are OK IMHO. "Fish" may have saturation pushed but it fits this kind of subject.

I think the next batch of PPG acceptance will see a lot more K-7 pictures. The last pictures I submitted are almost all from the K-7, I hope for at least one or two to be accepted. While voting I also noted a lot more K-7 pictures were submitted.
08-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well..

I still would suggest not to pay attention what camera the pictures were taken with, and pay more attention to composition and subject attractiveness..
at least i will do that, while voting on pics.. if i ever will, more over the newer the camera the more pressure should be put on the quality of pictures submited..

08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
I still would suggest not to pay attention what camera the pictures were taken with, and pay more attention to composition and subject attractiveness..
at least i will do that, while voting on pics.. if i ever will, more over the newer the camera the more pressure should be put on the quality of pictures submited..
I agree. With all the PP that can be done these days, I'd rather see photos selected for the photographer's skill at taking the picture, not photoshopping.
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

My eyes are burning

IMO these 3 are all over done. Too bad they chose these just to get a few K-7 images on the site.
08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree. When I was voting the other day, I saw some photos that were significantly better from the K7 that would represent it better.
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The fact that these made it through the voting process means the saturation isn't an issue for most of the people who saw them.

Personally, I don't mind them at all. Yes, they're saturated - but with exception to the blues in the one photo, it's not bad - by my taste anyway. That said, I do need to look at photos through something better than a lap-top monitor sometime soon
08-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Forum Member

Since I am the photographer who took the Garrapata Beach photo, let me just say that I create my photos more for printing than for web viewing. Unfortunately the photos in PPG have to be converted to sRGB for posting, and a lot of subtlety in the blues and greens are lost. In the original photo the shallow water was the most beautiful turquoise color that offset the blue of the sky.

sRGB, with its narrow gamut, doesn't support these subtle green-blues, and after sRGB conversion it's all one big blue smear.

I have a Canon Pro 9500 mkII printer which has no problem producing almost the entire Adobe RGB colorspace, so the print are a much truer representation than the web photo.

About saturation: this is more of a problem in the selection of photos than the photographer. For some reason most people like highly saturated colors, and this is why most photos on PPG have that look. More muted colors or monochrome photos are pretty rare on the site. That's just the reality of the selection process on PPG.
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks to the original authors of those k-7 pics on PPG for their comments.
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I agree. With all the PP that can be done these days, I'd rather see photos selected for the photographer's skill at taking the picture, not photoshopping.