Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
B&W on K20d/K-7

Unless I'm wrong, it seems there is no mono preview or even any way to quickly convert a RAW file in camera of the K20d for an instant B&W preview. It seems the only way is to take a JPG first, then go into the digital filter area and select B&W to convert it. This is pretty inconvenient, considering some other brand DSLR's I've seen you can set to Mono before you take the shot, then get an instant live preview on the LCD screen.

Is the K-7 any different in this aspect than the K20? If not, I think this is a big feature they need to add on the next DSLR!

08-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I changed to B&W in the functions (Fn then OK and choose B&W). Live view works in B&W as well. When the shot is taken and I was in B&W, the preview was in B&W. I guess I'm not sure what you're saying.
08-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never really understood the attraction to this, but maybe it is just how I see the world. I shoot everything color/raw and will change certain shots to bw in post. Some work, others don't. Since bw is an abstraction I don't feel the need to have immediate feedback that way. But I guess everyone has different ways of working.

With film though you never chimped anything, so there was no review and your "preview" was in color. Not that the past should necessarily hamper what is possible now.
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Unless I'm wrong, it seems there is no mono preview or even any way to quickly convert a RAW file in camera of the K20d for an instant B&W preview. It seems the only way is to take a JPG first, then go into the digital filter area and select B&W to convert it. This is pretty inconvenient, considering some other brand DSLR's I've seen you can set to Mono before you take the shot, then get an instant live preview on the LCD screen.

Is the K-7 any different in this aspect than the K20? If not, I think this is a big feature they need to add on the next DSLR!
with no image selected, press Fn, press Ok, list the top heading until it says Monochrome.

from now on all of your shots will preview in B/W

08-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
with no image selected, press Fn, press Ok, list the top heading until it says Monochrome.

from now on all of your shots will preview in B/W
Thanks, I get more info here than the K20 manual.
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the B&W image mode. Suits my mood quite a bit recently, enough that my USER mode is set to B&W JPG, with contrast at +4. My avatar was shot this way.
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it a lot, particularly since my computer facilities (as well as facility with my old Mac that I use for image work, are kind of lagging behind, here, ) I get tired of color before too long, anyway.

Built in monochrome works nice at the higher speeds, too.