Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Exposure question

Not sure if this question belongs in the lens section or the camera section, so please move it needed.

All my lenses that I currently use are manual lenses, and for me to get exposure correct, I've got to change my exposure compensation to -2.0 to -2.5. All the lenses seem to sit in this area. If there anyway to set the camera so that it thinks that -2.0 is actually at 0, or do I just need to leave it where it is? Reason for asking is that I've been finding that sometimes I've got it set at -3.0, and can't go any further, but based on the histogram, I could actually go another 1/2 to full set. I don't get this always, but I've had it a couple of times.

08-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm I seem to be having trouble accessing the manual for the *istD from Pentax's website.

My question to you is if you're using a manual lens, why use exposure compensation at all? Does the *ist D allow stopped down metering with manual lenses? Does it have a full manual mode? On the newer cams (K110D and K200D) that I own I've had to set a custom function to allow use of aperture ring on non-A lenses.

If it has a manual mode and you can adjust the aperture why not just set your shutter speed and aperture and forget about exposure compensation?

I've tried again and still can't access the *istD manual from Pentax's website. Sorry i can't be of any more help.
-Dan
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I've got the camera set to use aperture ring. Problem is when it meters, and it's set at 0, it's usually off by the amount I specified. That's why I've adjusted.

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Hmm I seem to be having trouble accessing the manual for the *istD from Pentax's website.

My question to you is if you're using a manual lens, why use exposure compensation at all? Does the *ist D allow stopped down metering with manual lenses? Does it have a full manual mode? On the newer cams (K110D and K200D) that I own I've had to set a custom function to allow use of aperture ring on non-A lenses.

If it has a manual mode and you can adjust the aperture why not just set your shutter speed and aperture and forget about exposure compensation?

I've tried again and still can't access the *istD manual from Pentax's website. Sorry i can't be of any more help.
-Dan
08-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

hmmm - so if you go by what the meter says it's over exposing?
Why not take a meter reading, then take those settings in manual mode and then just adjust the shutter speed/aperture when it requires -3 stops or more to fix the exposure? rather than using exposure compensation.. Just my thought. (are you using it in Program mode with manual lenses?)

I'm just confused why not just use manual mode if you have the option, then you're not limited by exposure compensation at all.

08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Not sure if this question belongs in the lens section or the camera section, so please move it needed.

If there anyway to set the camera so that it thinks that -2.0 is actually at 0, or do I just need to leave it where it is?
No no Pentax (and as far as I know only some Nikons) allow you to adjust the "baseline" metering...Secondly, with the D I rarely ever have to apply negative EC to any manual lenses... Use Manual mode and the green lever to meter.
08-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Which mode are you using? I suspect you are in Av? Whereas you should use M mode and use the green button to have the *istD perform a stop down metering operation which should result in the camera setting much better exposure settings.

Wim
08-11-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll have to re-try the green button method, but if memory serves me correct, doing it that way is also not accurate. I'll double check that though. Most of my lenses are screw mount. I know my one K mount manual, green button is the only way I can do it.
08-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote

All my lenses that I currently use are manual lenses, and for me to get exposure correct, I've got to change my exposure compensation to -2.0 to -2.5. All the lenses seem to sit in this area. If there anyway to set the camera so that it thinks that -2.0 is actually at 0, or do I just need to leave it where it is? Reason for asking is that I've been finding that sometimes I've got it set at -3.0, and can't go any further, but based on the histogram, I could actually go another 1/2 to full set. I don't get this always, but I've had it a couple of times.
I believe your problem relates to "Non-A" manual lenses ?

Don't think the specific function you are looking for exists for the *istD
For K20D and K-7, if you set E/V compensation in M Manual mode, the Exposure meter will follow accordingly. E.g. If your E/v is -2.0, the exposure meter will be right at the centre 0 if you are actually underexposing by 2.0 stops - I think that's what you are looking for ?

The K20D can do a +/- 3.0 EV compensation, the K-7 +/- 5.0 E/V

Anyway, its just a convenience. You can easily get the same results by deliberately underexposing in M mode.

Time to go shopping ?