Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

First DSLR

Hey,

At the current moment I am using an old school Ricoh film camera. I have been looking at both the K20 and the new K7.

I was originally going to get the k7 as having the added HD video seemed like the way to go; for the long run. But after reading that it only records about 7 minutes at a time, I am now considering the k20 especially since the price is almost half the cost of the k7.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Is there a different DSLR I should consider? Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

08-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what the max video recording length is on other cameras but remember that the K7 is designed as a DSLR with video capability, not the other way around. I own a camcorder and rarely shoot a single clip over 5 min. but there are exceptions such as a couple of school plays I shot of my grandkids. Video uses up a lot of memory too. Good deals are out there on the K20D if cost is important. As a first DSLR it would be a good place to start. You would have enough money left over to buy a nice camcorder.
08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MattBrennan Quote
after reading that it only records about 7 minutes at a time
Where did you read that? The limit I've always heard is around half an hour.
08-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was originally going to get the k7 as having the added HD video seemed like the way to go; for the long run. But after reading that it only records about 7 minutes at a time, I am now considering the k20 especially since the price is almost half the cost of the k7.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome to the forums Matt!
If you don't really need the video capture and price is more of an issue, then the K20D is more of a good choice for you.
The K7 however has more to offer than just video capture.
It has a faster burst, faster AF, etc...although you have to pay more top dollar for this as this has just come out of the market.
If you can wait for a couple more months to a year when the K7 price settles then get the K20D for now and upgrade later if you still want the K7.

08-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Gerry L and eveyone for the responces.

At this point, after a lot of reading, I have decided to go for the K7. I will though wait to purchase it around Christmas in which I hope the price drops by then.

Thanks again for the input.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Where did you read that? The limit I've always heard is around half an hour.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/68768-k7-video-limit-3.html
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You should read the whole thread as the limit depends on the cards used.
It usually takes videos till the card is full but it would all depend on the speed of the card 'coz if the write speed of the card is slow, then the buffer of the K7, I think (from what I've read loosely), fills up first..but if the card writes faster than the camera buffer fills up, then it would continue to write till the card is full.
08-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At this point, after a lot of reading, I have decided to go for the K7. I will though wait to purchase it around Christmas in which I hope the price drops by then.
I rather doubt the price will drop much by then. Only a low-end camera will be announced until well into next year.

If you need a camera now, buy a camera now. You can spend any other cash you might get in the meantime on glass.
08-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Gerry L and eveyone for the responces.

Thanks again for the input.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/68768-k7-video-limit-3.html
The K7 would indeed be a good Christmas present to oneself!
I, myself would want one too!

08-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
Banned

Hey,

At the current moment I am using an old school Ricoh film camera. I have been looking at both the K20 and the new K7.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Is there a different DSLR I should consider? Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
All SDHC cards have a 4GB file limit because they all use FAT32 file system so all video clips have a 4GB limit in cameras using SD/SDHC/CF cards but with a 32 GB SDHC card you could record over one hour of 1536x1024 *** mode video on it.

Last edited by jogiba; 08-12-2009 at 10:24 AM.
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Igilligan

I think the days of Pentax prices dropping are long gone...

To see the lenses now up 30-40 percent is an indication that Hoya is not Pentax...

The old rebates / Christmas price drops are long gone I believe...

And I believe for every drop of rain that falls... A flower grows.

Honestly get what you can afford... I finally got a chance to hold and shoot with the K7 and although it is a big advance in tech specs... It is not twice as good as my K20....

Get the K20 and an HD video cam
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #11

Here's another idea:

How about picking up a used K10 or K100 body? If you wait until Christmas or well after for the K-7 neither are going to drop in price much, if at all. In the meantime you can build up a nice collection of lenses which is well advised to have before spending $1300 on a body.

Yeah, I know the K-7 is awesome and I'm being a little hypocritical myself since I just threw down 1300 for it (one of the stupidest financial moves of my life).
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by touchmyichi Quote
Here's another idea:

How about picking up a used K10 or K100 body? If you wait until Christmas or well after for the K-7 neither are going to drop in price much, if at all. In the meantime you can build up a nice collection of lenses which is well advised to have before spending $1300 on a body.

Yeah, I know the K-7 is awesome and I'm being a little hypocritical myself since I just threw down 1300 for it (one of the stupidest financial moves of my life).

its easier to simply preach than it is to preach and practice what you preach.