Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recommended SHDC card for the K-7 video recording

I made a test regarding the video recording limit of the K-7. and it appears that the recording time, duration and not to mention the buffer fill problem during recording is directly connected to what card you are using.

results may vary depending on the SDHC card brand that some of you are using (including fake ones). yes, there are fake sandisks card, so that would be the reason why some are having problems with their cards. others have a low write speed which contributes to the recording ending up short. the recording file size at full resolution of 1.3MP (***) is approximated at 12MB/s-15MB/s. so any Class 6 SDHC card which it's average write speed is around the recording file size speed could experience some problems. so it is necessary to have a a card having atleast a write speed of 20MB/s or higher. highly recommended would be an Extreme III card (though be careful of fake ones). or simply wait to have a Class 10 card which would become available soon, probably this August or next month. I'm getting an A-DATA C10 when it becomes available.

btw, if you want to record videos without experiencing the 12MB/s recording speed limit problem, you could record videos in the 2 other lower resolutions (0.9MP and 0.3MP and set the quality at a single *). I noticed that decreasing the MP size and quality also decreases the chances of a lag in the recording.

in the initial testing that I did, I didn't experience any recording lag at the 2 lower resolutions. the recording went perfectly well. however, if you really need an HD video quality recording on your 24 inch screen, then a faster card is a must. otherwise a slower card is enough for a 19 inch viewing (0.9MP).

08-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Banned

I use a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/sec SDHC card and they just came out with a 32GB version.