Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sensor Cleaning kit

I'm sure it's been posted before, but can I get opinions on what is the best, safest, cheapest (that works) sensor cleaning kit? I'm just recently back from a vacation where I had some dust on the sensor that took a couple of days to notice and clean (by blower). I'm tired of spotting pictures, even though it is much simpler digitally than with the good old spotting brush. I've got my sensor fairly clean just using the blower but I want to go the next step. I've got a lens pen with a brush. Is it safe to brush the sensor?

08-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'm sure it's been posted before, but can I get opinions on what is the best, safest, cheapest (that works) sensor cleaning kit? I'm just recently back from a vacation where I had some dust on the sensor that took a couple of days to notice and clean (by blower). I'm tired of spotting pictures, even though it is much simpler digitally than with the good old spotting brush. I've got my sensor fairly clean just using the blower but I want to go the next step. I've got a lens pen with a brush. Is it safe to brush the sensor?
2 things that worked great for me
1)O-ICK1 Pentax cleaning kit.
2) Zeiss lens cloths (premoistened packages from wal-mart) wrapped around one of those soft sensor cleaning spatulas...
Worked a lot better than using Eclipse, which was a royal PIA for me....
AND fresh batteries for the mirror lock up!!!
08-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Jack,

I have a VisibleDust by Artic Butterfly but rarely have to use it. Use the dust shake on every start up. Get a big Rocket Blower. I also have some wipes if I need wet cleaning, but the item I usually use to get particularly sticky dust/pollen is one of those gummy sticks (I can't remember the name). It works great.

Also bookmark this site: Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
08-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #4

I recently went over the sensor on my old IstDs2 twice with the "gummy stick" Pentax lollypop cleaner. Still have a few spots on the sensor. I also use the Zeiss moistened lens cloths, attached to a Popsicle stick.

08-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I used a spatula with PEC pad and Eclipse with great success to clean the "sensor" (well that filter thing on it anyways) of my K20D. Stable hands and GOOD LIGHTING conditions help big deal when doing this. You gotta see the area properly when swinging around with the spatula.
08-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #6

I bought from B & H and shipped to Ontario

I bought a macro lens attachment from B & H. The brand has momentarily slipped my mind. Henrys wanted 129 CAD plus gst. B & H was 48US plus 25 P &P. I paid a further 2.72 for Canadian GST. After conversion it was about 84CAD. quite a difference from 129 plus tax. Go figure.

Thanks B & H

Last edited by Yebo Gogo; 08-11-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong spot for this post
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't find the Pentax cleaning kit for sale (in stock) anywhere. Has anyone tried the "Sensor Klear System" by Lens Pen?
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alternate product

I stopped in at Adorama today to check their sensor cleaning supplies. I ended up buying a "Dot Line Sensor Vu Cleaner Set" DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
This product looks just like the Pentax O-ICK1 for 1/2 of the list price (2/3 of the special price).
Any comments anyone?

08-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't find the Pentax cleaning kit for sale (in stock) anywhere. Has anyone tried the "Sensor Klear System" by Lens Pen?
Yes, I have used mine twice in the past 3-4 months when noticing dust in my photos. Both times the Sensor Klear pen worked fine and left the sensor clean ans free of dust specks. It takes about 2 minutes, start to finish, to perform the cleaning..no liquids, sticky pads, etc...just the flat triangular pen tip on the sensor surface in small circular motions...easy!

Jason
08-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I did some research and was looking at this one, I might get it in the near future when I am willing to spend 17 bucks for a cleaning kit. Right now my Giottos rocket blower do me fine, although it can't clean a black speck that shows up on my viewfinder that doesn't affect my images.
Amazon.com: Digital Survival KIT - Sensor Swab Type 2 (w/E2): Everything Else

Here's a video showing it in action.
YouTube - How to Clean dust off the sensor of the Canon EOS cameras
08-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I stopped in at Adorama today to check their sensor cleaning supplies. I ended up buying a "Dot Line Sensor Vu Cleaner Set" DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
This product looks just like the Pentax O-ICK1 for 1/2 of the list price (2/3 of the special price).
Any comments anyone?
Looks identical. Probably is identical. How many " sticky lollypop" makers are out there?
That one probably doesn't have the "depth marker" but it may have.
One left.............at a reasonable price....
http://www.amazon.com/Dot-Line-SensorVu-Cleaner-Accessory/dp/B001P6FMHO

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-14-2009 at 05:26 PM.