Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 file size

All of a sudden the PEF files from my K-7 are all different sizes. I recently upgraded the firmware, but I just noticed this on the shots since Friday 8-7. I'm not at home so I can't compare to before that, but I seem to remember that they were all consistant before and now they're all over the place, ranging from 12mb up to 22mb. And I have no idea how that's possible. Like I said, I'm shooting strictly raw (not raw+), PEF format. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm on vacation and with the way this trip has gone I'd really hate to find that all my images are screwed up as well. I'm loading things for the first time onto a laptop and haven't begun to look at them yet. But I'm rather perplexed.

08-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Mel,

Based on using the K20D so much last year, I noticed any file with a LOT of color and/or dynamic range was generally larger by 1-3 MB.

Normally the compressed PEF was 12-17MB in size, with 14-16MB being the average. I never saw the variation you speak of though... perhaps a setting change?? Perhaps someone else can chime in with more experience on this one.

Regards,
Marc
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm loading them on this new replacement laptop and maybe it's giving more detail than I'm used to seeing? They're ranging in size from 12mb to 22mb. Maybe it is what you said and I've just never noticed before. I'm running on a high level of paranoia right now
08-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Overall darker images will be smaller... I hope you don't have a bunch of underexposed images...

Say no to paranoia...

08-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. That would totally suck. Some of them I've already processed once (and posted a few to my flickr) and they seemed okay. But since that was all on the laptop that I was relieved of (fortunately they were still on the cards!) I can't compare that way.

But I'm not really thinking clearly anyway so i doubt I'm shooting very well either.
08-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
All of a sudden the PEF files from my K-7 are all different sizes. I recently upgraded the firmware, but I just noticed this on the shots since Friday 8-7. I'm not at home so I can't compare to before that, but I seem to remember that they were all consistant before and now they're all over the place, ranging from 12mb up to 22mb. And I have no idea how that's possible. Like I said, I'm shooting strictly raw (not raw+), PEF format. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm on vacation and with the way this trip has gone I'd really hate to find that all my images are screwed up as well. I'm loading things for the first time onto a laptop and haven't begun to look at them yet. But I'm rather perplexed.
Yeah there's a variation is files sizes on K-7 for me in DNG RAW 12-22MB average around 15-18MB on both original and updated firmware. Doesn't really bother me heh
08-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okay cool. thanks. i guess i just hadn't noticed it before.

08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All cameras that offer compression will show variation in file size. Ones with less detail - either because the scene is less complex, or the lens is soft, or more of the scene is out of focus, or your used high ISO - often compress more than others. At least, I think I've noticed that being one of the triggers.