Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #1

k7 and wildlife?

Hi all!
I like to take wildlife picture and obviously, as a k10d owner, I have been waiting for the k7 for a long time and now that it's finally a real object I don't know what to do.
I know that others brands offer better solution for this kind of photography but I like how Pentax equipment works in all others circumstances and I have many pentax lenses, so I don't want to sell them and spend others money to buy expensive Canikon equipment.
I read some contrasting reviews about its AF speed so I ask to all the k7 users that share my passion to tell us their AF impressions maybe by showing some wildlife photo.
Thanks for your collaboration!

08-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calcad Quote
Hi all!
I like to take wildlife picture and obviously, as a k10d owner, I have been waiting for the k7 for a long time and now that it's finally a real object I don't know what to do.
I know that others brands offer better solution for this kind of photography but I like how Pentax equipment works in all others circumstances and I have many pentax lenses, so I don't want to sell them and spend others money to buy expensive Canikon equipment.
I read some contrasting reviews about its AF speed so I ask to all the k7 users that share my passion to tell us their AF impressions maybe by showing some wildlife photo.

I don't think theres any camera more suited for wild-life/outdoor photography than the K-7. It is sealed. So are many (and more to come) of the lenses. It is though and so are the lenses. It is small and portable; excellent for carrying it out in the wilds....
AF speed is more than adequate for all wildlife known to man. Birds in flight is no problem....

Pentax "problem" right now is that there is no new super telephoto available. But one is promised. Otherwise, a great selection of Pentax super telephotos can be found on the used market or as new old stock...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-11-2009 at 07:59 AM.
08-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all!
I've got the K10D and I find it perfectly suited for wildlife as it is, ... for me that is... and the K7 improves upon even further on some of its shortcomings. There used to be a time when AF did not exist you know, and that didn't prevent anyone from doing wildlife photography. So all these reviews you're reading about AF speed must be taken with a grain of salt. With K7 you get lower High ISO noise (same for K20D though), lighter body, 100% viewfinder, better MF, better AF and the list goes on. Does Nikon offers a better system... of course... but how much money do you have to spend on this activity ? If you're a Pro, then Pentax isn't the way to go for wildlife photography, but for amateur photography... the K7 is more than suited. Long and fast focal primes are no longer made by Pentax (400 and above), so your only option in that range is Sigma Zooms and they're not all that fast either...but again, do you have $10,000 to spend on a lens ? Last but not least... a wildlife photo won't tell you anything about the AF qualities of the K7. The lens attached and the overall IQ certainly, The image below of a swallow in flight ( and are they ever small and fast ! ) was taken with my K10D, which you believe doesn't have a good enough AF, so what is that telling you ?

Cheers,

Roger
08-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am quite sure that it was not so easy for you to take that picture so I expect that someone sends some photos like it (made by a k7) telling that now it is quite easier to take that kind of picture and not the outcome of thousand of attempts or the case.
I would like to upgrade to the k7 but as it is not so cheaper, I want to be sure to make the right step.
However thank you for sharing your experince/opinion.

Last edited by calcad; 08-11-2009 at 11:52 AM.
08-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #5

I am quite sure that it was not so easy for you to take that picture so I expect that someone sends some photos like it (made by a k7) telling that now it is much easier to take that kind of picture and not the outcome of thousand of attempts or the case.
I would like to upgrade to the k7 but as it is not so cheaper, I want to be sure to make the right step.
Bird photography means 400mm or longer. Some may say that 300mm 2.8 with an 1.4 extender from the major manufacturers may be even better but no extender from any company can equal the quality of a prime telephoto from the major manufacturers without the extender under the same lighting and taking conditions.

Pentax has no DA 400mm and one is not clear about the availability of earlier 400mm lenses (FA and later) but their prices of these latter are little different from those of comparable lenses from Canon and NIkon. Here the lens would be more important than the camera. Autofocus may help with large birds but not with flying hirundines which would be even more difficult to catch with the small and dull viewfinders of DSLRs compared to their film equivalents, most of which in the case of Pentax were not very bright. I should know because I have been using them for twenty eight years.

When Pentax issues an affordable 400mm that would be the time to upgrade to a K-7 for wildlife alone. For reasons other than wildlife photography, the upgrade may well be worthwhile, though I cannot say for certain.
08-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am quite sure that it was not so easy for you to take that picture so I expect that someone sends some photos like it (made by a k7) telling that now it is quite easier to take that kind of picture and not the outcome of thousand of attempts or the case.
The K7 is very tempting, and I'll most likely buy it next summer. The way I usually work for wildlife photography is to manually reset my lens to infinity after every shots. Because the AF always attempts to focus closer first, I find that this way it quickly snaps into place and doesn't hunt all the way back and forth. Sometimes re-setting the focust to infinity is not possible, e.g. when taking a sequence of shots, and this is when I'd like to have either an AF that behaves more intelligently or a more accurate MF, which is the one thing I hope the K7 does better.

Cheers,

Roger
08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Marc Langille is a nature and wildlife professional photographer using Pentax. You can see some of his work here:
Marc Langille Photography - Adventure, Nature, Travel & Wildlife Images

There are quite a few birds, one of my favorites is the road runner (might be as a result of looking too much at the cartoon)
Marc Langille Photography - Adventure, Nature, Travel & Wildlife Images

Best regards,
Haakan
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Skip the telephoto?

You'll find a lot of serious birders and wildlife photographers using spotting scopes as their lenses. In that case, you've more options in terms of effective focal length, aperture, etc.

Requires an adaptor and a willingness to haul a tripod about, of course.

Oddly enough, Pentax makes waterproof, fogproof, nitrogen-filled, SMC-coated spotting scopes.

An acquaintance, Mike McDowell, has done some wonderful work with a good Swarovski spotting scope and P&S cameras. Digiscoping by Michael Allen McDowell

08-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi all!
If wildlife photography is an interest for you, you should check out the work by Domique :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/56175-south-luangwa-np-l...es-photos.html

All taken with K20, but K7 could do the same
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

You have already commited a fair investment in your Pentax equipment, my advice would be to think long and hard before changing to another brand.

The kit you have have and what's available in the same brand is more than capable of doing the job.