Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Iphone remote for Nikon- Pentax Someday?

From the following web site:

iPodNN | DSLR Camera Remote 1.1 submitted to App Store

"After an unexpected delay, onOne says it has at last submitted DSLR Camera Remote 1.1 to the App Store. The update was originally intended to debut in mid-July, but was postponed due to the need to test all functions with every supported camera. Central to v1.1 is support for Nikon cameras, including the D40 and D40x; the D60, D80 and D90; the D3 and D3x; the D200, D300 and D700, and lastly the D5000. Bulb mode is not an option with any Nikon camera, but all LiveView-capable models should allow live autofocus.

AF during LiveView is one of several new options, among them a burst mode for compatible cameras, and auto-bracketing, mainly useful when composing HDR images. Supported Canon cameras now include the 500D, T1i and Kiss X2, and RAW+JPG combinations are no longer treated as one entity. Other changes include a better horizontal view, a new naming system for images, and the ability to auto-import files into Lightroom. The app's matching server software now automatically checks for updates.

The new DSLR Camera Remote should be available before the end of the month, possibly as soon as this week, depending on Apple's approval schedule. The Lite version is $2, while Professional costs $10."

08-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Anyone with an iphone might think that is neat. Anyone without will just think "a $300 remote"
08-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Anyone with an iphone might think that is neat. Anyone without will just think "a $300 remote"
Very true
08-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Canon version is already out onOne Software - DSLR Remote for Canon DSLR Cameras & iPhone
its not great you still have to have your camera connected to your computer via usb or firewire all the iphone does is act as another screen/mouse/keyboard in one that is wireless. but in practical terms this isn't that useful from what I see I mean you'd have to have a laptop connected to you camera the whole time...

08-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Canon Camera Compatibility
DSLR Camera Remote supports most current and previous generation Canon EOS digital SLR cameras.

Supported Canon cameras (as of June 5, 2009) and connection types:

Firewire Connection:
- 1D Mark II
- 1Ds Mark II
- 1D Mark II N

USB Connection - Camera Must Be Set to PC Connection, Firmware must be up-to-date:
- Rebel XT/350D/Kiss Digital N
- 20D
- 5D

USB Connection - Camera Must Be Set to Print/PC (PTP):
- Rebel XTi/400D/Kiss Digital X
- Rebel Xsi*/450D*/Kiss X2*
- Rebel XS*/1000D*/Kiss F*
- 30D
- 40D*
- 50D*
- 5D Mark II*
- 1D Mark III*
- 1Ds Mark III*
* Indicates camera support for LiveView preview mode.

I guess this also means you couldn't use the wifi adapter for the high end canon cameras too
08-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

It's a shame the camera needs to stay connected to the PC, but from a programming perspective it makes it much easier.

Can't wait for the app that connects directly to the camera via USB instead of needing a computer, so it can be used in the field. Technically this will be possible with the new 3.0 software and a USB bridge (or a specially made iPod to mini USB).

Wow, I just thought of a pretty cool idea...

Use the iPhone as a dedicated time lapse programmer, allowing much more customization than what's available on the camera. You could even do things like alter time over a sin wave (or whatever you want) to get some interesting effects (altering the duration between shots smoothly over time). You'd have to make some sort of dongle that allows the iPhone to trigger the shutter over the dock connector, but that would be pretty simple.

Somebody make that.

Last edited by Mister E; 08-12-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Cool idea added instead of hoarded, I don't have the ability to create such an app.
03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

Resurrecting this thread as I saw this today browsing Kickstarter - where Pentax DSLRs are supported via a tethered cable from Android/iOS devices:

Trigger Happy Camera Remote by Kevin Harrington — Kickstarter
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I got my wireless remote for USD8 and is waterproof. Not sure if this is a good idea.