Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Focus Lock/Recompose with Manual Lens

I am using a 50mm M 1.7 lens on my K100D. I can't figure out how or IF I can set the focus and then recompose the shot. Is it a lens issue or do I have to change a setting on the camera. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get it to work.
Help please!

05-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you got the camera switched to MF or is it still on AF? On MF there should be no problem.. what is the problem you are having exactly? it won't fire when you press the button?
05-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
OMG, is my face RED!! I had not switched the camera to MF. I guess when things were still working in AF, [except for being able to recompose] I assumed I was in MF.
Duh.

Thanks for waking me up!!
Cheers!
05-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Perhaps you already know this but having the focus switch in AF and using a manual lens will give you a focus trap function. That is if you press and hold down the shutter, the camera will not fire until the object is in focus. Quite handy sometimes, for instance when something is moving. Or when itís hard to get focus, just press the shutter and slowly turn the focus ring.

05-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #5

Does this focus trap function working only with Pentax manual lenses or with m42 lenses as well?
05-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #6

I can't make it work with screwmount lenses.
05-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe it will work so long as one has the camera set to allow Focus Indicators with screwmount lenses. All the camera cares about is that it senses the image is in focus and the shutter is being pressed.

Of course, having gone out on a limb like this with my camera 7km away from me, I'll get to work and find out what a boob I am......
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Unless I am mistaken the focus lock can only work with auto-focus lenses. Manual focus lenses (screwmount or k mount) dont have any way to communicate focus lock to the body.

Mike
Itís the other way around. With an auto focus lens it will not work since it will auto focus in that mode. Donít know about screw mount though since I donít have any. A week ago I would say that it would most probably work. But then I got an old 2x converter and the focus trap wouldnít work with that attached and I just canít understand why not.

05-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Hmmm...maybe NOT with screw mounts.

I successfully managed to focus confirm and focus trap using a M series lens on my K100D (in manual, MF on, SR off). I switched to a M42 adapter and a SMC Takumar lens and was unable to get focus confirm or focus trap to work.

I'd love to have this feature work on my screwmounts ... if anyone knows a method, please post. However, my experience indicates that focus features WILL NOT work with screw mounts.

regards,

germar
05-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Follow up: Focus confirm with screw mount YES!

I just answered my own question....

On the K100D, go to the custom settings menu and you will have a selection for "Fl for S lens used." Set this to "2" and you will have the red focus target and focus confirmation. Trap focus still does not work, however.

That's cool.... having focus confirmation is gonna be pretty handy with my old takumars!

regards,

germar
05-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #11

These are my experiences as well: with m42 lenses focus confirmation works normally, but focus trap not. Camera fires regardless if it is in focus or not.

Again, if anyone has different experiences, please post the solution with settings, this would be very helpful.
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The method for using focus trap with M42 lenses is basically the same as with K and M lenses. The problem is that the adapter and lens don't cover the electric pins placed by the lens mount on the camera. Look at a modern K-mount lens and you'll see that the pins get shortened by the shiny lens flange. This needs to be adressed: Cut yourself a piece of aluminimum foil, suitably shaped, attach the lens placing the foil at the contacts on the camera, aim at your target (or rather the place where you expect your target to show up) and focus manually, set the AF/MF switch to AF, lock the remote in shoot position, have a nap, check your card to see what the camera came up with.
Something like that, taken from memory and all credit really goes to Ron at the DPR forum who described the techniques some time back last summer (hence the foggy memory but I'm pretty sure this is what you need to do).

Focus trap shooting with an AF lens: It's the same method but the opposite sort of speaking. IIRC you now use a piece of tape (Scotch type) and isolate the most bottom of the electric contacts at the camera mount. Now the camera believes the lens is a K or M lens and you can use focus trap as usual. Again: say Thanks to Ron.

regards,
05-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey, I found my bookmark to Ron's post. Maybe it is better to read his own words:
How to focus trap...
05-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #14

Thank you, Jonas. I will most certainly try that!
05-15-2007, 04:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

... just don't forget that under low light conditions (where you expect your large aperture Takumars would shine) the green focus aid can be misleading. This is especially true for some people over 40 (who cannot see what is in front of them ). I, for example, wear multifocal glasses and I can hardly see what is in focus in the viewfinder of my K100D. I shot when I see the green light. Unfortunately, most of my pictures taken like that turn out to be poorly focused.
This only happens under low-light conditions with a mixture of light sources (tungsten, fluorescent and daylight).
Autofocus with the kit lens works normally; you just loose a couple of f stops, then!