Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k10d intermittant problem - the end of my k10?

Hi everyone - I'm newly registered here - I have popped in and eavesdropped occasionally in the past to get help and pointers, but never registered as I felt I had little to add to the conversations. Unfortunately I started having problems with my k10 last weekend, so I figured it was time to come to those in the know.

I'm thinking my problem is something to do with the sensor, but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues like I'm having. After taking several shots that turn out as expected, I'll get one that is in one color, or just off color, then the next shots are solid screens of blue, violet, yellow, red... it runs the gamut. Some have odd patterns throughout as well. I changed batteries, SD cards, lenses, and even shooting modes, and it happened throughout. But then it'll work fine again for lots of photos before freaking out again. I didn't drop it or bash it hard into anything - ever! (I was very careful!)

Here's some of the freakout images as examples. I had lots of great shots in between some of these, and lots of other bad images too. I've included one of the clear shots I took in between tantrums - it looks like it was working fine for this one. I guess it will just depend on the camera's mood if I will be able to take photos at all in the near future.

Any diagnoses, help, guidance would be appreciated greatly.
I sent in an email to Pentax customer support the other day, and am still awaiting a response. From what I'm reading in the forums, I'm expecting I'll either pay several hundred dollars to fix an older camera, or a few more extra hundred to get a k20 body...

Thanks

Attached Images

08-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

How many other SD cards did you try? Were they new ones? If they were heavily used did you reformat them first? I had a very similar intermittent problem (neon vertical lines and pictures in one solid neon color) and it went away when I tried a new card as was suggested in a thread I posted. Also, the problem card worked fine once I reformatted it. However, I've only taken a handful of shots so far. I'm curious to see what you find out. Good luck!
08-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This common problem is usually sorted out with the use of better quality SD cards.
Try a new SD with a more reliable brand name and see how you go.
08-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well if it's most likely just a problem with the SD cards I'm glad to hear it.

They are both SDHC SanDisk cards - the one the problem first started on is about a year and a half old, but was formatted in camera two days prior. The card I switched to is less than a year old, but hadn't been formatted in about 2 months. It spent a majority of that time sitting in my battery grip in case I filled up the main card on any of my outings.

It is curious that both cards would have bad areas all of a sudden that lined up so that the bad photos continued through switches of the cards. Then when one worked well again, I switched and the other card was working as well.

I guess I'll have to read up more on card reliability and try a new one to see what happens.

Thanks for the guidance.