Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

What should I do with a new K2000d?

I just found out that I won a K-m in a raffle. (Never, ever won a raffle before -- this is a pretty sweet way to start!) I've had a K100d for about 3 years and love it but I've been looking around for an upgrade for a while (and spending way too much time lurking in this forum). But I'd kind of written off the K-m as a not-big-enough upgrade and was waiting for the K-7 prices to fall. On the other hand, my number one issue with the K100d is low-light focusing, and I never switch it out of center AF mode, so I'm not that concerned with the supposed shortcomings of the K-m.

I'd take it for a test drive, but since I can't return it my only other option is resale, in which case just taking it out of the box will probably drop the value significantly. So I'm in a (pretty nice, admittedly) bind. Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

08-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You won it, so why worry about resale value? Try it and keep it if you like it unless you really need the money, of course. If that is the case, then sell it as it is (and keep saving for the K-7 ).
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums bjrubble.
You really shouldn't worry about resale value as you have never spent a single cent on it, not unless you needed to buy a ticket for the raffle.
In any case, try it out and see if you like it.
If you are shooting for the K7 however, the money you already saved plus the Km sale would get you to your goal.
Selling it early would be a plus too as you can sell it "as new" or "like new" specially if the shutter count would be kept low.
Enjoy your luck!
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Difference in typical going price between new in box from an unknown third party seller and used but like new condition (keep all packing material is negligible. No way would I not want to check it out for myself.

08-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Open the box, shoot, and then decide. To a prospective buyer there is little difference between "unopened" and "briefly tested." In fact some may prefer the latter as they could see pics you took with it. If they bought the camera in un-opened state and it doesn't work there is no recourse. The warranty doesn't have to be honored by the company as the new buyer is *not* the original owner.
08-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, for convincing me to do what I really wanted to -- take it for a spin!

I guess selling it wouldn't get me that far toward a K-7, but it might be able to pay for a DA 55-300. Now there's a dilemma.
08-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #7

Caution: I'm biased, reflected in the fact that I purposefully spent money on the K-m because I thought it a terrific camera. I didn't even own any Pentax lenses when I did it .

My primary DLSR experiences prior to the K-m were with Canons (notably the XTi). I had also used the K100d on one occasion.

The first thing that struck me about the K-m is the white balance performance. I don't mean to disparage the K100d, but my experience with the two made them seem worlds apart on this dimension. Its presets better the Canon as well, in my estimation. It even has a very useful tungsten preset (and this seems to be a bugaboo of much more expensive cameras). It has great auto WB performance. I don't see WB talked about much, but Pentax got it quite right with the K-m. Color performance is just lovely with the right settings.

The other notable is the autofocus performance. I don't feel it suffers relative to the XTi, and most generally agree that the Canons are snappy performers. I know this is a gripe applied to other Pentax models. In general, it snaps to focus, and doesn't hunt much, even in low light.

Very intuitive interface, with the key controls at your fingertips. It's a fun camera to use, with great ergonomics.

Head over to Flickr if you want to see some sample photos.

I have a feeling that I may bump my head on this camera's ceiling if/when I become serious about manual focus lenses; other than that, I'm guessing we'll have a lovely time of it!

dr_s

08-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Give it to me?
08-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Give it to me?
I thought you already have a camera?
08-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, I would vote with the folks suggesting to go ahead and use it, try it out and see if it is something that works for you.

I too have a K100 and recently upgraded to a K20. The K-M is slightly newer than the K20, and there has been speculation that its auto focus system is a bit better. In terms of resolution, my wife and I (after 10 years of wanting to get one) upgraded to a 1024p 52" TV. Its wonderful!!!! So, I loaded up on a thumb drive some K100 and K20 images. I was expecting to see was somewhat poor K100 and spectacular K20 pictures. What I saw was stunning K100 images, and exquisit K20 images (that took 3 times longer to load, due to their larger size). Maybe it was the TV, but all the pictures were wonderful!!!! So the 6mp K100 is still a very viable contender.

The K20 is better in AF than the K100, but is not perfect and has a ways to go. I still have my K100 and still really like it. So where I am going with this is, at least AF wise, upgrade to what - a K20, a K7 or a ???
08-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

USE IT!

I too had a K100D Super then bought K-m and also just use centre like you!
It works very well in low light!
I use mine in a small club, and get some good shots!

It is a little smaller than the K100D yes but after speaking to Travor the people who made a battery grip for the K100D, they are thinking of making a K-m grip!
so that will help size issue!

I say keep it!
I have the K100D and K-m....
now rarely use the K100D as the K-m out performs in almost ALL aspects!

Just one thing to beware of!
U cannot turn the pop up flash off!
I taped mine down!
The K-m has no option to turn off, several setting but none "off"!
08-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
It is a little smaller than the K100D yes but after speaking to Travor the people who made a battery grip for the K100D, they are thinking of making a K-m grip!
!
Wow! Really? K-m grip? That's awesome, I'll be looking forward for more information to this! But how would they manage to do this? Where would it go, there's nothing else but the battery compartment and the tripod screw on the bottom of the K-m, unlike the K200D and K20D with the extra grip compartment hole.
08-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow! Really? K-m grip? That's awesome, I'll be looking forward for more information to this! But how would they manage to do this? Where would it go, there's nothing else but the battery compartment and the tripod screw on the bottom of the K-m, unlike the K200D and K20D with the extra grip compartment hole.

it could be of several different designs.

the two that come to mind are:

Battery grip for Pentax K100D-Large Photo & Picture

http://www.dicain.com/2002/shop/shop/list.php?ac_id=30&ai_id=99#
08-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Will be the same as my Travor K100D battery!

long bar goes into battery hole like a battery and the pack sits underneath it!

will put up pictures of mine as Seamuis links dont seem to work (or at least for me)
08-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPZ Quote
USE IT!

I too had a K100D Super then bought K-m and also just use centre like you!
It works very well in low light!
I use mine in a small club, and get some good shots!

I say keep it!
I have the K100D and K-m....
now rarely use the K100D as the K-m out performs in almost ALL aspects!

Just one thing to beware of!
U cannot turn the pop up flash off!
I taped mine down!
The K-m has no option to turn off, several setting but none "off"!
Umm, unless I am missing something, if you don't press the flash button to raise the flash up, the flash will stay off. Sure, the camera will blink that little flash icon at you in the viewfinder when it thinks it needs flash, but that's all it does.