Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #1

auto and manual camera?

Hi our daughter is taking a photography class and needs a camera that does both auto and manual operation? Can anyone suggest one that is under $1000?She took a basic photohgraphy class in High School.

08-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brjl Quote
Hi our daughter is taking a photography class and needs a camera that does both auto and manual operation? Can anyone suggest one that is under $1000?She took a basic photohgraphy class in High School.
Basically any DSLR, I'm partial to Pentax Myself;-)

I'm happy with my K10D, she'd have a lot left over for lenses at 1000 bucks.
08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

K10D, K100D, K20

Assuming digital since that's where you posted.

Film any of the Pentaxes exept the K1000 probably. That is a totally manual camera.
08-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Aye, any of the above would serve your daughter well.

08-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax *ist DS. Comparatively Dirt cheap nowadays & has a Pentaprism finder for easier manual focusing than the inferior Pentamirror equipped newer, more expensive K100 & K200 models.
08-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict

Auto/Manual Cameras

By Auto I assume you mean Aperture Priority. Early cameras offer only Av - later cameras might offer also Tv and other automation options. I linked a research site for your edification.

Note - these are the last model in each line, and generally the most feature-rich. My recomendations are in BOLD. Expensive are in red. I assume you have or plan to acquire a complement of second-hand manual Pentax lenses.

Film Cameras:
Manual Focus
K2 (K2DMD is quite rare)
MESuper
LX (pro-level camera, about $400 but would require a CLA)
superPROGRAM (can use A-series lenses for coupled aperture metering)
AutoFocus
SFx
PZ1/PZ1P
MZ-S
*ist

Digital Cameras - Manual (usually HyperManual) requires some thought and user knowledge of the metering system. While all of these will operate with nearly any Pentax lens ever made, proper metering requires some experience and experimentation

For <$1000 why not just get a new K20D and FA50/1.4 from Amazon?

Here is a research resource B. Dimitrov's K-Mount Page
08-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #7

K20D: Excellent camera. $629 everywhere, with free shipping and no taxes. Bought mine @ Adorama, through Amazon.
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
First thank you all for your quick responses. I am very limited in my knowledge of cameras. I am trying to make sense out of some of you replies. I hate to trouble you all again, but I am still very confused. I am typing out the requirements that the class advises:

Digital "strongly suggests a SLR reflex with manual function" megapixels not important. Must have a card reader compatible for your camera.

Do the models you all suggest fit this criteria? I'm sorry I didn't write this out the first time.

Thanks again for your time.

08-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most any dSLR will fit the bill. As long as there is a dial on the top with PASM (program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual) options (and most have that). Most lower priced dSLRs use SD card so sounds like she'll need a card reader. You can get one that reads multiple types SD, CF, etc) and they are cheap.

If you look around you should be able to find a "kit" of dSLR and zoom lens (probably 18-55 or something like that) along with a cheap "fast 50" (50/1.4) for under $1K. If she's taking a class you would like to have it so the body and lens can deal with manual focus easily/quickly and frankly having two wheels on the body makes manual use a lot quicker (that would be K10d/K20d in Pentax).
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Lens Buying Addict

She will need a DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex camera, not a film camera (reference to megapixels and card reader means she can't use film in this class). The instructor should have been more specific. SLR generally means film camera

There are so many choices that a full discussion would just confuse you more. You probably want to get a camera with interchangebale lenses (although there are fixed-lens cameras that qualify as DSLR). If you get an interchangeable lens camera, don't forget to get a lens if she doesn't have any; and if you already have a lens or two, don't forget to get a camera that can use the lens(es). Pentax can use just about any Pentax lens ever made, but that isn't true of most other brands.

To simplify, that suggests a

K200D with the 18-55 kit lens K200D kit at Amazon $699

K20D if you already have a lens(es) K20D Body Only at Amazon $629 with Shopping Cart discount

K2000 / K-m with kit lens K2000 from Willoughby's through Amazon - $449

Don't forget to get an SD digital Card - 8Gb is enough - and Card Reader. They run about $20 with a camera purchase or $35 without, plus $10 - $15 for the reader. Get a quality card like Sandisk. They often have rebate deals.

Other places to look are

B&H K20D at B&H, for instance

Adorama K20D at Adorama

but the prices are higher right now at those reputable stores.

Beware of offers below $600 for the K20D - they are usually from rip-off places that sell you only the camera, but add hundreds of dollars if you want the cables, the manual or even the box.

Good luck and keep asking!!