Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

new to K10D

hey

i just bought a k10d after years and years using my 70s era canon film slr.
I love it but am having trouble getting used to the manual settings.
On my old film one, iso was determined by film speed, shutter speed was a dial on top and aperture was a ring before the lens.
Any good sites to read up on to get to grips with the manual settings on a DSLR?

Much prefer manual to auto, so want to get to grips with it asap

Cheers

05-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't exactly know what you want, and I don't own a K10D but there is a book available, written by a member of this forum. His name is k10dbook surprisingly enough He has a website:
k10dbook home
from what I understand this might be what you are looking for. Since I don't have a K10D I haven't read the book, but from his posts here he sounds completely genuine and a nice fellow.

NaCl(you could prolly do a search and find out what others think of the book)H2O
05-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm sure the manual explains how to set the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Just put the mode dial in M, and set the three exposure parameters per the instructions in the manual. I have the older *ist DS, but the K10D should be similar. ISO is set by the four-way controller (press the Fn key) and the shutter speed/f-stop is set by the two control wheels.
05-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(you could prolly do a search and find out what others think of the book)H2O
I have a K10D and the book, and it's a very nice in-depth introduction to using the K10D.

05-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angryassdrummer Quote
i just bought a k10d after years and years using my 70s era canon film slr. I love it but am having trouble getting used to the manual settings. On my old film one, iso was determined by film speed, shutter speed was a dial on top and aperture was a ring before the lens.
Any good sites to read up on to get to grips with the manual settings on a DSLR? Much prefer manual to auto, so want to get to grips with it asap
The manual isn't bad. You have to bounce back and forth a good bit, which I found annoying when I first got the camera. But stick with it and you'll find the answers to most of your questions. And if you don't find the answer there, well, there's this forum to start with.

Couple of simple points about the K10D.

1. P mode is not a conventional program mode - it's "hyperprogram." It will keep the exposure as close to correct as possible. But you can adjust the aperture or the shutter if you like. In other words, turn the camera on and go to P on the mode dial. Depress the shutter half way to take a reading. Say the camera suggests shooting at f/5 and 1/250 second. If you want to increase your depth of field, you could simply change the aperture to something smaller, say, f/8; when you do so, the camera will automatically slow down the shutter.

2. In M mode, the little green button on the top of the camera next to the shutter will meter the scene and give you the camera's idea of "correct" settings. You can start there and adjust as necessary. It's really quite easy.

I use M when I have time to think about each shot - which I often do. But if I'm shooting sports or birds or something where I really don't have time to think about the camera, I tend to use either Av or TAv. TAv lets me choose both shutter and aperture - and the camera adjusts the ISO within a range that I control.

Will
05-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your handle. I'm "Mad Hitter" on myspace, the hitting being drumming.

The K10D works in theory the same way that your old film camera did, the controls are just in a different place. ISO still does that exact same thing, except now you can change it whenever you want instead of waiting until the roll is finished.

The Shutter is controlled by a dial on the body, just like most film cameras, but instead of being an exposed dial on top it is a partially hidded dial near the shutter button. The Lens aperture is controlled by a thumb dial directly behind the shutter dial.

Instead of a needle you have a digital graph in the viewfinder, but it works the exact same way. Bars to the left of the center line indicate underexposure, bars to the right indicate overexposure. A single bar under the center line indicates proper exposure, as far as the meter is concerned.

One difference is that mechanical cameras usually didn't have 1/3 stops. The K10D gives you the option of 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops.

Once you get used to where the controls are the operation is much the same as the old days.
05-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #7

The menu options let you change what the dials control. It's your camera so put the controls where you want them.