Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #16

Great job. You really captured the feel of being there. I've been there twice (one of the only countries I've returned to), and I'm hoping to go there again with a group of students. I love Cambodia. Great people, great food, incredible temples, good beer, and a heart-wrenching history.

08-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
AWESOME!!! great work. Your brave filming while riding on that bike in the end What did you use to edit it all together?
Haha thank you so much!! I used my LX3 for the bike rides

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Awesome video man! Wow, I really love the beginning of the video too, but it's still really great all throughout. Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.
Thank you very much! I hope I get real good at this video stuff, whole new world

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Very impressive video. You have talent as a videographer.

The music also works really well in makin the different scenes feel part of a consistent whole.
Thank you so much! Actually the music was the hardest part in making the video, I should get another ipod to carry everywhere (my ipod stays in the car), it really helps with inspiration!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
very pleasantly watchable movie..
I liked all, music, editing, scene choice..

great, keep it up!
Thank you very much, my friend!

Diego
08-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Great job. You really captured the feel of being there. I've been there twice (one of the only countries I've returned to), and I'm hoping to go there again with a group of students. I love Cambodia. Great people, great food, incredible temples, good beer, and a heart-wrenching history.
I'm planning to go back but after the restoration work of the temples! So I'm going back to Vietnam first

Hopefully we can have some sort of Pentaxian trip to one of the more affordable (ahem.. cheaper) Asian countries and spend a few days shooting together next year. I think that would be a fantastic time!

Diego
08-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Haha thank you so much!! I used my LX3 for the bike rides
I was going to ask how that fit into the workflow. I've been impressed with the video from my DLux4 and you can't beat the size.

Some very nice shots in there. I hope to get to Vietnam soon.

08-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #20

wah! this is definitely great video! i like how you capture everyone's emotion!
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

you skipped my question. what did you use to put the video together?
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It said in the video - iMovie on a Mac

08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pleasant to watch.
Nicely done editing and excellent soundtrack.

Cheers. Mike.
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

A very enjoyable, well done video. Watching your video inspires me to use the video element of the K-7 more, which I have been neglecting a bit since I got the camera. I saw on his blog that Mark Dimalanta is going to be trying out the video mode soon, as well. I have a feeling you two are going to set the bar pretty high for everyone else

My favorite sequence was in the middle starting with the person holding National Geographic, a person who looks like they are sketching something, and the other person playing an instrument. Some really great shots there.

I don't know if you wanted any feed back, but I thought one critique of the first third of the video is you may have used a little too much of that technique where you start out of focus and then slide into focus. It wasn't bad or anything, I just noticed that you had more of those shots in a row in the beginning then in the middle and end, and if you mixed different kind of shots in it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

May I ask what in camera resolution and settings you shot with? Also, what lenses did you use?

Thanks. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words It was a pleasant surprise to see myself on Mark's blog.

I guess I liked those focus/defocusing shots, especially at the intro. It's my very first time to try video, so I don't really know why I like what I shoot so far YET. A whole new journey for me to experience.

I also used my Panasonic LX3 for the wider shots (the evening party scene, the bike rides etc) and while it was useful and all, the quality I get from the K-7 is a whole other level. I'm now looking into getting a fisheye and maybe the sigma 20/1.8 just for video

As for the resolution, I used the middle one (the one with the widescreen aspect ratio) and at 3 stars quality. For lenses, I used mostly the FA50. I'm actually wanting the FA Limiteds (I have the DA Limiteds) for the video for that real shallow DOF.

Thanks again!
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Some very good video editing programs I know are Sony Vegas Pro and Adobe Premiere
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About the vertical lines, that was from my LX3, not from the K-7
That's a relief
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the kind words It was a pleasant surprise to see myself on Mark's blog.

[..skip..]

Thanks again!
Do you mind if I debut your video in my Pentaxian blog in http://www.techtheman.com with full credit to you similar to Mark? I am no Mark Dimalanta but I will go extra mile to do marketing for Pentax. I have several K-7 videos but nothing is like yours created by the real k-7.

At one point, I also considered in getting panasonic lx3, I borrowed a copy to compare with my Fuji f30 p&s

I hope you allow me to debut your video. I will be grateful, say no if that is not desirable and I will understand.

Last edited by hinman; 08-14-2009 at 04:04 PM.
08-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I guess I liked those focus/defocusing shots, especially at the intro. It's my very first time to try video, so I don't really know why I like what I shoot so far YET. A whole new journey for me to experience.

I also used my Panasonic LX3 for the wider shots (the evening party scene, the bike rides etc) and while it was useful and all, the quality I get from the K-7 is a whole other level. I'm now looking into getting a fisheye and maybe the sigma 20/1.8 just for video

As for the resolution, I used the middle one (the one with the widescreen aspect ratio) and at 3 stars quality. For lenses, I used mostly the FA50. I'm actually wanting the FA Limiteds (I have the DA Limiteds) for the video for that real shallow DOF.

Thanks again!
About varying the shot types: It's really more of a personal preference thing anyway. Like in writing there is a general rule that you create a good rhythm by combining a mixture of short sentences with long sentences, and this in large part holds true. However, then some wise guy will write a great book with sentences that are pages long, or with no punctuation, etc. I mostly wanted to note it so you could keep it in mind as you work on future projects.

The FA Limiteds are really nice for that shallow DOF. I think this clip is my favorite I've seen from an FA31 with the K-7 video -- it really shows that nice seperation from the background:

YouTube - Mongolian Girl's Song

I like how you can do the quick shift focus with the DA lenses with video, though, so you can autofocus before the scene begins and then correct with manual focus afterward. On the other hand, when I have been trying different lenses with the K-7, it is ironic how well pure manual focus lenses seem suited for video lenses. I'd be interested to see how some of the Zeiss and Voightlander lenses would handle for example.

But I'm rambling now. Thanks for answering my questions!
08-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Do you mind if I debut your video in my Pentaxian blog in http://www.techtheman.com with full credit to you similar to Mark? I am no Mark Dimalanta but I will go extra mile to do marketing for Pentax. I have several K-7 videos but nothing is like yours created by the real k-7.

At one point, I also considered in getting panasonic lx3, I borrowed a copy to compare with my Fuji f30 p&s

I hope you allow me to debut your video. I will be grateful, say no if that is not desirable and I will understand.
That would be fine with me, and I'm honored to be on your blog

Diego