Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
well i came back from the shop with my head full of K7. I've got a memory card loaded with shots from both at lots of different iso's.

the af definitely is better on the K7. so much that i think during the processionals of a wedding ceremony and the intros of the reception, i won't have a hard time anymore (moving subjects in low light).

the shutter is TOO quiet, and i prefer a louder shutter, but for a wedding ceremony i should go with the quiet shutter...

i think the K7 is too small and much prefer the ergonomics of the K10D/K20D, but i might have to sacrifice on that a bit and go with the better performer.
Follow your heart!

I really wanted the K-7 but my $250 BB gift card told me different.
I just happened to have the gift card and a forum member gave me the link to the "promised land!"

08-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I purchased the K20 $499 "refurb" from BB and picked up the 43 LTD while it was still cheap (K20 ended up costing me $300).
K20D + FA43 = pure niceness
08-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the K20D brand new in the box (not refurbished) from Ritz when they closed shop for $479. I got the grip for it for $47.

K-7 + grip = $1529
My K-20d + grip = $526

That's $1,000 to spend on other stuff. There isn't a benefit on the K-7 to me that's worth the extra $1000.
08-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

the shutter is TOO quiet, and i prefer a louder shutter, but for a wedding ceremony i should go with the quiet shutter...
If you're doing paid weddings, the K7 AF/shutter benefits should easily be worth it over the K20D IMHO...
You can also try a bit of video w/ it to see what the fuss is about w/ the 5DmkII :-)

08-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

In terms of IQ, I can't see anything between the K-7 and K20D personally. As others have said, it's the other features you pay for.

This is why I don't see the K-7 as an upgrade to my K20D and won't be buying one. I will wait for the K-8 or K-7 mk2 or whatever comes next.

If the AF improvement and video modes aren't important, the K20D is a frigging bargain.
08-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

In comparing the K20D to the K-7 after having spent quite a bit of time with both, the image quality of the K-7 below ISO 320 seems better to me. After that they are the same. The k-7 does produce a bit more noise and forces me to PP my pictures which, I try and avoid. But in saying that, I have two two K20D's and am getting ready to sell one in order to get a second K-7. There is enough of a difference in that K-7 to warrant that purchase to me...The quiet shutter, the quicker AF, the light weight, Its DR capabilities to name a few...Oh, and this coming from a person who has a Nikon D700 as well....
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi Javier,

I looked at your smugmug page and liked the water birds on the SG river. I live near the same river... likely further north from your spot. What part of the river were the pics taken? I'd like to check that location out sometime Thanks for directions!

BTW, I have itchy fingers for the K-7 to replace the k-10d, just waiting a bit for qc issues to iron things out, maybe hold on for one or two more firmware fixes.

Nic

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
In comparing the K20D to the K-7 after having spent quite a bit of time with both, the image quality of the K-7 below ISO 320 seems better to me. After that they are the same. The k-7 does produce a bit more noise and forces me to PP my pictures which, I try and avoid. But in saying that, I have two two K20D's and am getting ready to sell one in order to get a second K-7. There is enough of a difference in that K-7 to warrant that purchase to me...The quiet shutter, the quicker AF, the light weight, Its DR capabilities to name a few...Oh, and this coming from a person who has a Nikon D700 as well....

08-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

the shutter is TOO quiet, and i prefer a louder shutter, but for a wedding ceremony i should go with the quiet shutter....
to each their own, but I loved the shutter on the K7. I forgot that - imho that alone is worth a couple hundred $. Seriously. I hate loud shutters.
08-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is interesting.
Since I started on the ist*D and moved to the K10D I learned to keep my iso REALLY low all the time. I got good at it, and my goal now is to stay at 320 or below.
Sometimes I'll jack it up for a shot I need and if there is a question about noise, I can field that from a client, no prob.

The quiet shutter, although I don't like it, is going to be one of the deciding factors as I will be working during ceremonies.

One other interesting thing-I am a creature of manual. From M mode to flash to whitebalance. I do NOT like for anything to be set to auto.
For this instance, at the camera shop, I turned the whitebalance to auto, just to check it out. And I forgot. I went inside and outside, I went in the back room to check out the lowlight stuff. It did a really great job. I'm impressed.

So, I've heard that the K7 and 540fgz is a really good combination as well. I've heard that the P-TTL does a really good job, like every time. (any input here).
I think this might mean a smoother wedding day for me if I'm not stopping every time I change rooms to adjust whitebalance and turning my flash down every time I'm close to the subject.

I think Pentax cameras are getting smarter.
08-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Hi Javier,

I looked at your smugmug page and liked the water birds on the SG river. I live near the same river... likely further north from your spot. What part of the river were the pics taken? I'd like to check that location out sometime Thanks for directions!

BTW, I have itchy fingers for the K-7 to replace the k-10d, just waiting a bit for qc issues to iron things out, maybe hold on for one or two more firmware fixes.

Nic
Oh, why Thank you. That part is right behind the San Gabriel Nature reserve. There are so many birds their right now, even pelicans and soft shell turtles. (rare) I wish I would have taken a proper lens when I went, but it was not a planned trip.

On a second note, if you want to try a K-7 let me know and we can meet up.
08-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The quiet shutter and smaller size are the only two advantages I see in this camera for my own use. But I'd like the shutter to be quieter and the size to be smaller, in order to make for a compelling purchase. A completely silent shutter would be nice.
08-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This is interesting.
Since I started on the ist*D and moved to the K10D I learned to keep my iso REALLY low all the time. I got good at it, and my goal now is to stay at 320 or below.
Sometimes I'll jack it up for a shot I need and if there is a question about noise, I can field that from a client, no prob.

The quiet shutter, although I don't like it, is going to be one of the deciding factors as I will be working during ceremonies.

One other interesting thing-I am a creature of manual. From M mode to flash to whitebalance. I do NOT like for anything to be set to auto.
For this instance, at the camera shop, I turned the whitebalance to auto, just to check it out. And I forgot. I went inside and outside, I went in the back room to check out the lowlight stuff. It did a really great job. I'm impressed.

So, I've heard that the K7 and 540fgz is a really good combination as well. I've heard that the P-TTL does a really good job, like every time. (any input here).
I think this might mean a smoother wedding day for me if I'm not stopping every time I change rooms to adjust whitebalance and turning my flash down every time I'm close to the subject.

I think Pentax cameras are getting smarter.
I love the quiet shutter the most from the k-7.
As far as ISO, It is rare that I shoot below ISO400 on the K20D and am usually at 500 to 640. Keep in mind that I also shoot at F/8 to F/11 most often as most of what I do is street these days so fast shutter speeds are important to me.