Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7/K20 IQ differences?

I was just wondering, in these cost conscious times, how much better IQ comes from the K7 and is it worth getting that instead of the K20D...

Thanks

Mitch

08-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I was just wondering, in these cost conscious times, how much better IQ comes from the K7 and is it worth getting that instead of the K20D...

Thanks

Mitch
It is a wash. K7 gives better AF, better AWB and other features. Some claim it is noisier than the K20d but I suspect that it might just have less AA filter or NR. Personally I'd rather have the detail with noise and deal with it on my own terms. I didn't seen a major difference between noise on K7 and K20d.

imho you don't buy the K7 for an iq bump relative to the K20d. You'd get it for the other performance boosts and features (video, smaller, etc).
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm interesting

so if i dont really like a smaller camera, dont really like the ergonimics of the K7-and prefer the K20D's ergonomics, dont need video...

the only thing there for me is a bit of improved AF?
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And a different (?better) user interface...
Probably not enough to entice you Mitch, though the AF is significantly improved...

08-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just checked out this:
Falk Lumo : photos : Resolution and Noise of K-7 vs. K20D : Full size of test shot All shots WB at 3900 Kelvin (warmer than daylight, it was indirect evening sun). All shots aperture at f/4.0 and underexposed at will (roughly 2/3 and 1-2/3 stops) Thi

And it appears that the K7 doesnt try to reduce noise for you, instead it keeps the details. Are there any other reasons that the K7 photos might be crisper? Such as how the lens/camera are autofocusing?

The crisper details from the K7 have me leaning in that direction.

I'm starting to not really care as long as I get off of this CCD sensor and over to a CMOS
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is the SR better in the K7?

Does the K20D not have the PRIME2 processor?

About the electronic level: Can you have the level and the meter in the VF simultaneously?

Eh...I'm closing the studio and going to the camera shop...

I love my job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch
08-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm with nostatic. Any differences you see my be simple sample variation or wishful thinking. Try to spot these in real photos... no dice.

I can hardly tell my K100DS shots from my K20D. And that's not for lack of trying. But I could see that the K100DS was better at anything but low ISO than the K10D.

Maybe we'll see a distinct IQ improvement in the future, but we haven't seen it with the K7. That wasn't really part of Pentax's agenda.
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D does not have the PRIME2 processor, just the PRIME one, which in itself is able to dump images remarkably well (but no advantage to the K10D). This is not really a deal-breaking upgrade in the K-7...

08-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You get better low light AF
More built-in PP features
Smaller and lighter body
Video recording
Better SR system
and probably bunch of other minor differences.

But with the K20D being half the price of the K-7, it's really hard to choose the K-7 at the moment unless you really want that video recording capability of it. But for me, I would still get the K-7 over the K20D anyways, I've seen the K-7 in person and touched it at the Road Tour, it's definitely a monster and Pentax makes great DSLR's for the price, so even if the K20D is superb on the pricing right now, you'll still get a great camera if you spend 1300 on a K-7. You can't really go wrong on either, but if you have the money and are willing to shell it out for the K-7 then I suppose you can, but if you are on a budget or don't want to spend that much on a upgrade then the K20D.
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the chroma noise in shadows seems to be a lot less (if you didn't notice it on the K20D before, you can ignore this :-), besides less NR so you can see slightly more detail.
08-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I got to shoot with one a few weeks ago, and I didn't do any side by side comparison shooting, but from the files I brought home, I felt like hte middle ISOs were much cleanerthat the K20d. Most ofthe shoot I took were from ISO640-1280 and I thoughtthey looks better than what I woud expect from my K20d. I also thought the colors were a little more pleasing, especially the blues.
08-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
the chroma noise in shadows seems to be a lot less (if you didn't notice it on the K20D before, you can ignore this :-), besides less NR so you can see slightly more detail.
I always notice chroma noise so less is of course good. Personally I like the noise pattern of the K20D. If the K-7 is at least the same I'm happy.

Is there really less NR? The K20D was known for having none. Isn't it the filter being less aggressive instead?

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
Most ofthe shoot I took were from ISO640-1280 and I thoughtthey looks better than what I woud expect from my K20d.
If that's true it's a good thing. I'd like to see some shots that showed it in a decisive way, but I doubt in the real world it'll make a difference.
08-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

K20D is a fine choice. Based on your inquiry, I think you would be very happy with it and could then afford a prime lens (or 2).
08-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
K20D is a fine choice. Based on your inquiry, I think you would be very happy with it and could then afford a prime lens (or 2).
I did what ivoire suggested.

I own a K100DS and had my sights set on the K-7 (I also had a $250 gift card from BB), I purchased the K20 $499 "refurb" from BB and picked up the 43 LTD while it was still cheap (K20 ended up costing me $300).
The K20 is leaps and bounds ahead of the K100DS IMHO.

Ray
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well i came back from the shop with my head full of K7. I've got a memory card loaded with shots from both at lots of different iso's.

the af definitely is better on the K7. so much that i think during the processionals of a wedding ceremony and the intros of the reception, i won't have a hard time anymore (moving subjects in low light).

the shutter is TOO quiet, and i prefer a louder shutter, but for a wedding ceremony i should go with the quiet shutter...

i think the K7 is too small and much prefer the ergonomics of the K10D/K20D, but i might have to sacrifice on that a bit and go with the better performer.