Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D Wireless Flash with manual focus lenses

Ok - first post here on PentaxForums.com... hopefully someone can help me out.

I've look around without success for an answer to this question, although I have heard that it is possible to do...

I have a handful of older manual focus lenses that I use with my K20D, and use a Pentax AF540 flash unit as well.

When I have one of these lenses attached, my wireless flash option is disabled.

I have heard that there is a way to use wireless flash with these lenses, I just can't find any info on it.

Is it possible? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Ciao for now,

John

08-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried my K20D with both a Pentax-A and the mode set to manual and then a totally manual lens (no "A" aperture mode) and non-Pentax brand. The Pentax-A in manual enables wireless flash but the non-Pentax "M" lens is as you said, no wireless flash allowed. New one on me since I never would have used that lens with wireless flash anyway but I love to learn. But back to your problem.

Its true.

I think in 24 forum hours you will have the technical answer why its probably disabled. Are your older manual lenses Pentax or not? I dont have a true Pentax-M to test with.
08-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
None of my manual lenses are pentax, and none of them are A-aperture either... just K mount. Love the lenses - nice and sharp, etc, etc

I think I recall hearing either something about changing the slave mode on the flash (but not sure how this would actually influence the camera body itself), and/or not completely locking your lens into the camera body thereby "shorting out" the contacts and fooling the camera body into thinking it's an A lens...
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This looks to me as a 2 part problem. Although you donít state it I am assuming you would like to use the on camera flash as the trigger for the 540. Putting the 540 aside for the moment if you use a non-A lens on the camera (and donít use the pin short trick) the on camera flash (if you use it) will fire at full power with no pre-flash. So you can use it old school and adjust f/stop and ISO to subject range. Now if you would like to use the 540 you can use it in manual optical slave mode 2. This is a dumb mode that will trigger when the flash sees a flash. Now you have light from the camera and the 540, you just have to control the much stronger 540 for more light from it or for less from the camera adjust f/stop/ISO then up from the 540. If you want very little from the camera (so you can have more control of f/stop/ ISO) put something that blocks the light from the flash to subject but as you can point the 540 sensor at the camera it can see the flash so that it can still be triggered. I have not gone into a lot of detail as to how to set these settings as they are in the manuals and some get annoyed at others telling them things in to much detail that they all ready know.

All of this may seem a bit of a kluge but you are trying to get a camera/lens/flash to do things the lens was never made to do. With the newer lenses it is a little less of a kluge.

DAZ

08-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks very much DAZ. Very useful information - I shall do my best to figure it out!

Regards,

John
08-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I routinely use the wireless flash mode but will take the much easier route and never use my manual lens unless violence is threatened. But DAZ you are the man for providing the education. Thats the part i wanted to know. Thank you.
08-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sincerely glad to help. Youíre welcome.

DAZ