Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-m focus screen removal

Anybody out there know how to remove the focus screen in a K-m? Seem to have some dust trapped on the top surface and didnt want to try and remove it without knowing the procedure. There seems to be some kind of metal clip around it but its not clear where any pressure should be applied - and I dont wanna break it!

Cheers

08-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You might want to check this thread out

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/69898-dirty-viewfinder.html

I'm almost certain it'll work the same way for the K-m also, just got to be careful because I heard the "metal clip" is fragile and can bend and stuff. Also be careful not to scratch your focusing screen.
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks! It does look similar - just need to find a suitable bent tool to have a go.....
08-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Realistically, you can try, but chances are excellent you will just move things around or make it worse, or damage something in the process. And even if you succeed today, next week or next month there will just be more and you'll be faced with the same potential risk if you try to clean it again. Viewfinder dust happens; might as well get used to it being there.

08-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
TJOS

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Realistically, you can try, but chances are excellent you will just move things around or make it worse, or damage something in the process. And even if you succeed today, next week or next month there will just be more and you'll be faced with the same potential risk if you try to clean it again. Viewfinder dust happens; might as well get used to it being there.
The man speaks the truth here. Dust happens and it will annoy you, but you'll have to learn to live with it unless you want to buy a new body or pay for some pro to fix the issue. I have a year and a half old camera with visible viewfinder dust specles gathered on it, but it doesn't prevent me from taking great pictures. I initially thought that it will be really annoying against light surfaces, but yesterday I took photos and had little time to look at that dust. Learning to live with it part of life, at least unless you're literally made of money.

Last edited by TJOS; 11-24-2011 at 06:18 PM.
08-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigtench Quote
Anybody out there know how to remove the focus screen in a K-m? Seem to have some dust trapped on the top surface and didnt want to try and remove it without knowing the procedure. There seems to be some kind of metal clip around it but its not clear where any pressure should be applied - and I dont wanna break it!

Cheers
See here.....