Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm not going to buy anything before paying him. I'm going to pay him and then sell the camera to buy the new one. Thanks for your suggestions though.
I have a sneaking suspicion that our very large-hearted friend Gary quietly kissed that money goodbye when he loaned it to you.

08-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Canon is King of full frame adaptability

Canon is King of full frame adaptability & Panasonic micro4/3 mount G-1 and GH1 are The Kings of crop format adaptability. With Panasonic micro4/3 you can use Canon FD lenses along with C-Mount and Minolta MD. Panasonic offers a 7-14mm f4 to cover the ultrawide inspite of being 2x crop format. Theirs does well from images I've seen posted and new its $600 less than Olympus 4/3 format 7-14mm f4.

I may get a Panasonic G-1 or GH1 at somepoint to see whats up with a few of my old Canon FD lenses like 200mm f2.8 crops to 400mm 2.8 and 400mm f4.5 crop to 800mm 4.5. No hurries. FD glass was built to last. I bought the adapters a couple months ago just in case I spot a great deal on a panasonic micro 4/3 digital. The Pansonic GH1 is nearly impossible to locate in USA due to extreme demand. And thats the one I am more interested in getting a deal on. So I'll wait...

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
With Oly there's pretty much no wide angles though, even the rare 20mm lenses would be a 40mm, not even considered wide, with the even rarer 15mm only starting to get wide.

I'd say Canon is still king, but Pentax is king if your cabinet is full of K-mount.

I choose pentax colors over canon anyday though... unless it's the 5D or 1D

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-17-2009 at 05:07 AM.
08-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
is this what it's like when Adrian Monk buys a camera?
08-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #64
Banned

you should get the 20D.

08-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #65
graphicgr8s

I wouldn't exactly call getting the K10D or the Canon 20D keeping up with the Joneses. The *ist DS is slow and has a small LCD and many other problems that the K10D doesn't. I like my *ist DS, but I'm ready to move up to something that fits me more.
Most folks, at least those fiscally responsible, (go ahead and google it so you know what I am talking about I'll wait) OK you back? As I was saying most people who are fiscally responsible would pay back money before posting a wanted in the marketplace. Gary has a kid now to support and I'm pretty sure even if he wrote it off he'd appreciate payback. You may be ready to move up but your wallet says otherwise.

But your post also asks the question: A little cheese?
08-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #66
Inactive Account

If you can't get the shot with a DS, you'll not get it with any other camera.
The only possible exception is motorsports. Though I've never had a problem.
One has to learn to get the most from the tool in their hands. A new tool doesn't always mean one can do better work.

And I seem to remember you making some statements about outdated technology.
Nothing is outdated if it still does the job you require of the item.
You say you shoot mostly landscapes and telephoto. Then why is speed so paramount?
Is that mountain going to run off?

I doubt seriously if you'd be happy with anything short of the latest super machinegun Canon.

Sorry to be blunt. But 99% of your posts seem to be the crying of a pampered brat.
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I wouldn't exactly call getting the K10D or the Canon 20D keeping up with the Joneses. The *ist DS is slow and has a small LCD and many other problems that the K10D doesn't. I like my *ist DS, but I'm ready to move up to something that fits me more.
The fact that you cant seem to make your mind up is what I am talking about keeping up with the Jones you started out drooling for a K30 then went to the K7 then switched systems and said the grass was greener elsewhere. You come back to Pentax and complain that you have outgrown the *istDS yet you claim to love it , will you get the K10 and be forever happy? I dont think you will you seem to be someone that is always looking for the next best thing thats what I mean by keeping up with the joneses. Until you can actually explain why you are better than the camera there is no need to uprgrade, and a small LCD is not a very good reason nor is the fact that it is "slow" You yourself say you are into landscape as another member said is the *istDS so slow at focusing that it cant even focus on a mountain moving only as fast as a continental plate? I dont mean to sound like I am picking on you I only fail to see your arguement that you have capabilites that are beyond your cameras abitlity to let you express.

08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #68
Igilligan

Jeff I agree with andy here

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Olympus is probably the compatibility champ with is short registration distance.
Canon is close though I suspect.
Canon EOS film and digital SLRs can, on the other hand, accept almost anything BUT a Canon FD lens with adapters: Nikon, OM, Pentax M42 Screw, and Leica SLR lenses can all be adapted.
The Olympus DSLRs are the most versatile of all in terms of accepting older lenses via adapters. There are adapters for OM, Nikon, Pentax (both screw mount AND bayonet), Leica R and Minolta MD lenses to fit Olympus DSLR cameras.
SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

You are right about oly, but I can barely deal with the 1.5 crop factor, the 2x would kill most of my favorite lenses for the way I shoot. To have my helios 44 essentially be 116mm and my Jupiter 9 to be 170mm would essentially kill them.

but it would be nice for birding with a good 300mm prime.

Some of these new EVIL cameras will allow even more options....
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #69
Banned

a small screen on any digital not including liveview or a movie function is a pretty weak point. I am now using a istD while having both a k110D and a k-m and the smaller screen is of no impedance on my photography. I think the problem people are having with your 'dilemma' is that you are doing all this despite not being in the financial situation to do so. nobody would have a problem or indeed care, if you had the money... buy all the cameras you freakin' want! but since you decided to share it with all of us, your situation is a bit ridiculous to say the least. its understandable (particularly for landscapes) that the istDS may not be quite enough.. landscapes can bring out the Ansel in all of us, but this point doesn't outweigh your financial situation, nor does it dismiss the obvious problem you have with focusing on equipment. this is obvious because none of the cameras you have listed are real giant leaps in a new direction from the other, so how would any of these (istDS, K10D, 20D) be any better for your uses? you want to take a big step forward in your landscape photography? by a FF, better yet buy a medium format... Mamiya just announced a really wicked medium format SLR. but do the finacial thing in the mean time and stop crying about equipment.
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #70
Igilligan

Honor and Respect

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have a sneaking suspicion that our very large-hearted friend Gary quietly kissed that money goodbye when he loaned it to you.
Oh, I hope that is the case... If that is true, maybe Gary kissed his Nokton 58mm goodbye when he loaned it to me last weekend...

I got a nickel says Gary is fully expecting his money back... Gary is a nice guy and all, but in the end it is all about honor and respect. And when someone goes out on a limb for you, you owe it to them to honor them, and your own word.

I believe jct us101 fully understands that and will honor his word.

I do have to give a nod to Damn Brit for his generosity and trusting nature. It is not seen a lot nowdays, especially not on a virtually faceless internet forum.
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wheel on the 20D is designed differently.
How is it different?

Nevermind. I thought you meant it was designed differently than the K20D, not the 20D. Yes, it is different, but that's not a bad thing.
08-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #72
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Oh, I hope that is the case... If that is true, maybe Gary kissed his Nokton 58mm goodbye when he loaned it to me last weekend...

I got a nickel says Gary is fully expecting his money back... Gary is a nice guy and all, but in the end it is all about honor and respect. And when someone goes out on a limb for you, you owe it to them to honor them, and your own word.

I believe jct us101 fully understands that and will honor his word.

I do have to give a nod to Damn Brit for his generosity and trusting nature. It is not seen a lot nowdays, especially not on a virtually faceless internet forum.
Especially now with a newborn. Pretty sure he could use the money too.

Gus I wouldn't have loaned it to you.

You live way to far away. Maybe if you lived in the state.

Nah, who am I kidding.
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would be really nice if a mod could lock this thread. Now we're just getting ridiculous.
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #74
graphicgr8s

It would be really nice if a mod could lock this thread. Now we're just getting ridiculous.
Cody, the premise of this thread was ridiculous as was the "I get to upgrade" one.
08-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #75
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Cody, the premise of this thread was ridiculous as was the "I get to upgrade" one.
ridiculousness, invites more ridiculousness?
Closed Thread