Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still think I'm mostly decided on the K10D although the high ISO does worry me a bit. I'd be able to get better results with the 20D, but is it worth losing all those other things?

08-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I still think I'm mostly decided on the K10D although the high ISO does worry me a bit. I'd be able to get better results with the 20D, but is it worth losing all those other things?
Why worry on something you haven't tried or hasn't happened?
It's like worrying today that tomorrow the world might end..only to find out you worried needlessly because you actually don't know the future and that the today which was the tomorrow you worried about, actually didn't end.

Get the 20D then, if you don't like it, sell it.
..then get the K10D..
..if you don't like it, sell it..
..get the 20D again..find a fault in it, sell it..
..get another K10D..find another fault, sell it.
..I would hate to be in your shoes!
08-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I decided to make one of those stupid pro and con lists for each camera. I'm also considering the Canon Rebel XTi, but not as much as the others.

K10D:
Weather sealed
2.5 Inch LCD
SR
Cheaper lenses which all have SR
10 megapixels
1/3 increment ISO
ISO in viewfinder (I think)
IR remote capability!

20D:
Metal body
Scroll wheel on back
ISO 3200 sometimes usuable
Fast

Now for the cons of each:

K10D:
Plastic body
Slower speeds
ISO 800 usable

20D:
1.8 inch LCD (I really do need a large LCD)
8 megapixels
Cheaper
More expensive lenses
No SR
No remote capabilities

So, as you can see, this didn't help me at all. So don't tell me to make any damn lists. :-P
08-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You forgot the most important point in favor of the 20D:

-the 20D has norwegian menu language, the K10D does not. now that the important stuff right there. you mess with the norwegians, and with the 20D you are a safe duckie.

08-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weather sealing VS metal body

I think I'd be more comfortable with the metal body, as I don't really know of any time that the weather sealing would have been useful to me (then again, I didn't know what a ferrari was like until...oh wait, I still don't have one!)

2.5 LCD VS 1.8 LCD

I have a 2.0 inch LCD on my *ist DS and at one point had a 3 inch one on my Rebel XSi. I love having a larger LCD, and the 1.8 inch is just incredibly tiny to me.

Rear wheel VS no rear wheel

My favorite use of the rear wheel was viewing photos. Not too useful on a 1.8 inch LCD, but still sometimes useful for changing settings without having to push buttons. Of course I could get a 30D, but then I wouldn't be able to get ANY lenses!

ISO.

The ISO of the 20D I remember was very nice, although I never used 3200 except a few times, and didn't really keep the 1600 samples as they still had lots of noise in them. However, the K10D has an even worse higher ISO noise ratio, which makes me worried.

Speed VS Kind of Speed

The 20D is fast. Incredibly fast, it has 5 fps (I NEVER used that) but the options of the camera are simply fast. Of course that 1.8 inch LCD isn't really worth having a fast camera to view your photos on unless I wanted to go for that 30D again.

Shake Reduction VS IS

I'm a poor college kid, so shake reduction in the camera sure as hell helps me out instead of buying Canon's cheapest crappy kit lens for $100 just to get it.

Lenses.

Here's a toughie. I love long lenses, which Pentax doesn't offer too many of, other than the 50-200mm. I only had this lens for a day once, and I really did like it, but I'm still not sure if I'd prefer it over Canon's double priced 55-250 IS that was my favorite lens for the two months that I had it. This is a toughie for me.

IR remote

I really miss having a remote on my Rebel. I used that enough to not want to get the 20D to have to buy a cable release. Of course, it's still nothing major.

8 VS 10 megapixels.

Coming from 6, I think that I'd appreciate the higher jump a little more than a hop.

So after writing this entire post, can someone please help me figure out why I still want the 20D?
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Add this to your want list:

And its new too. Had I not gotten one I would have left Pentax system already:

Pentax | K20D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 19381 | B&H

That said the new canon cameras are to be announced this month, next week, like the 19th. Canon always launches new cameras in August. Rumors are stong & vibrant this go around. But it sounds like you are shopping for cheap price used dslrs? If so and you choose pentax you're foolish to pass on a brand new K20D at this price point in link above. It is a very nice camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I decided to make one of those stupid pro and con lists for each camera. I'm also considering the Canon Rebel XTi, but not as much as the others.

K10D:
Weather sealed
2.5 Inch LCD
SR
Cheaper lenses which all have SR
10 megapixels
1/3 increment ISO
ISO in viewfinder (I think)
IR remote capability!

20D:
Metal body
Scroll wheel on back
ISO 3200 sometimes usuable
Fast

Now for the cons of each:

K10D:
Plastic body
Slower speeds
ISO 800 usable

20D:
1.8 inch LCD (I really do need a large LCD)
8 megapixels
Cheaper
More expensive lenses
No SR
No remote capabilities

So, as you can see, this didn't help me at all. So don't tell me to make any damn lists. :-P
08-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

now, don't confuse the kid with more 20D's than he can handle!

throw in a couple of 50's and 60's and there will be total mayhem!

K10D has way better DR (dynamic power rangers) by the way.

08-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As you admit yourself, no matter what you get you're just going to end up selling it in short order anyway. You'll spend more hours contemplating which of the two (or three) cameras would be better for you than you'll spend taking pictures with it before selling it. If that's what you like to do, then more power to you. But why should others be expected to waste their time helping you through what is ultimately a meaningless selection process?

Do you have trouble eating a bag of M&Ms because you agonize over which colors to eat first?
08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't know, I never owned a K10D

but the K20D has yet to make me sad. I actually am satisfied with 1600 iso captures. But i do have an array of manual focus K mount glass so that adds to the fun of owning K20D.

K20D vs K10D:

CMOS vs CCD

14.6mp vs 10ish mp

New with 3 year usa warranty versus no real lengthy warranty buying used

Seriously. Had I disliked the K20D I bought new for $689 last Nov 08 I was done with Pentax & everything K Mount I have acquired over past 9 years would have already found new homes. Its not been easy owning multiple brands, but having a K20D makes it worthwhile to continue with Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
now, don't confuse the kid with more 20D's than he can handle!

throw in a couple of 50's and 60's and there will be total mayhem!

08-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's the problem though, how do I get myself to decide?

I think that this is the key word: I owned a 20D in the past and I didn't like it.
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #26

For only about $100 more than a K10D you can get a new and better K20D which blows away both the 20D and the Rebel XTi. If that extra $100 is too much, I'd still pick the K10D since the specs on it are better than the 20D, and it's features are more professional than the XTi.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote

Dynamic Power Rangers? That anything like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?
08-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok damnit you've made me make up my mind (Please, STOP THE PRESSES)

I'm getting the K10D.
08-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What? Did I miss something? Did someone forget to take their Thorazine and Zyprexa? Were the voices that overpowering?
08-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The K10D?!!

Booo Yaa!!!!

Thats the better of the two. Good call.

Besides you had a 20D. Getting another would be like getting back together with an old girlfriend. At first you think, "why did I ever leave?", then after a little while you remember, and break up again.

Beside the K10D has sensor SR. You can get Russian lenses and STILL have SR.

Jupiter 9, Helios 44, Industar 50 f3.5....

Or Takumars with SR...
08-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now I just need to find one that is cheap enough for me to afford.
Closed Thread