Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I am totally stuck

I know, I know, I start these all the time and then don't listen to anyone, and I say that I'll listen this time, and I never do. Wow, that's a good topic starter. Either way, at least some input would be very valuable at this point.

I can't decide if I want to upgrade to the Canon 20D (I've owned one of these in the past) or the Pentax K10D (never owned). I've tried out both of them, and I would prefer the Canon for the rear wheel and metal body. I'd prefer the Pentax though for the better lens capabilities, the weather sealing, and the larger LCD. The Pentax is much slower though, in my understanding (I don't mean the FPS either, just overall use) and it costs a little more than a used 20D. Then again, if I get the 20D I won't be able to buy very many lenses for it, and I won't get IS in all of them. If I buy the Pentax, then I get the built in SR with every lens that I use. So, help me pick one.

08-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a joke, right...
08-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'd go with the Pentax

I think you answered your own question. What good is a camera body if you are limited by the lenses? You indicated you would not be able to get many lenses if you go with the canon. Bodies come and go but lenses last much longer.
08-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
I think you answered your own question. What good is a camera body if you are limited by the lenses? You indicated you would not be able to get many lenses if you go with the canon. Bodies come and go but lenses last much longer.
Well with Pentax compatabilty they do.

08-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Igilligan

Actually fellows... if you count all the adaptors you can put on the Canon D series cams... the Canon is probably the compatability champion... Just not with all canon lenses
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to add that the other camera I'm considering is the Rebel XTi (I owned one before, and loved it).

I'm a very indecisive person, I will probably keep doing this until I actually buy my camera, and then I'll most likely sell the camera and buy another one. That's why I'm hoping all the advice can help me out on what to get. What are the high ISO complaints from the K10D compared to say the Canon 20D (the XTi does terrible at high ISO)? The K10D has 1/3 stops, right? The 20D doesn't. There's no wheel on the K10D, but I don't think that will be a problem for me as much as I'm making it out to be, it was just a really nice thing to have.

The other problem I'm having is the dynamic range abilities. I know Pentax has lower dynamic range than Canon and other brands, but I don't know how bad. I want to be safe and go with the 20D or the XTi to keep my dynamic range abilities, but if it's nothing to worry about, then I'll probably get the K10D. The best part is that in a month or so I should be able to get myself to get one of those new weather sealed kit lenses and have an entirely weather sealed camera.

Wait, did I just make up my mind? Nonsense.
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For fairness, I posted this on the Canon photography forum.
08-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Get both. You already have an Olympus. Why not roll with three camera systems if you are so indecisive?

I would hate to be your waiter.

08-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

my advise is, go with your gut-feeling. or else: 1,129 posts later, and still won't know which camera system to choose....
08-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have noticed that you have switch systems a good bit. What exactly are you looking for? I'm not sure that there is a camera that is ultimately going to make you happy. My advice: just buy one of the two, keep it for a month, sell it, buy the other, keep it another month, contemplate Nikon and Sony (or some other camera brand), post your indecision on a message board, sell your gear, and repeat the process. We'll see you back in a few months.
08-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cody, inevitably your indecision can only be resolved by you.
We'll all tell you to go for the K10D, but you may find something about it you don't like and for this reason sell it.
I'd suggest sticking to your guns once you ascertain which cam suits your photographic 'needs' best, and get to know that camera you buy really well - then you may actually like it as it grows on you with time.
08-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Are you going to take pictures?

Or, bask in the glory of technical spec's?

08-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

well.. if you compare cameras to wine there's no problem. 2004 was a good year for canon....
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
well.. if you compare cameras to wine there's no problem.
-or- one could say - if you compare cameras while drinking wine there's no problem.
08-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

it's all good as long as there's nothing wrong with the glass..................................
Closed Thread