Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Well, it is "real" is you choose to spend your life pixel peeping I suppose. In that case buy your gear accordingly.

You know at first I was laughing out-loud until I realized its the case for many and I may not be excluded if I am honest to myself(?).

On the forums I get into pixel peeping for the technical satisfaction, in real life I take a lot of pics and always try to improve my skill; then I print my pics for artistic satisfaction, and some pics go in a digital frame (low res) to show off to family friends. And noise is not a problem ever, in fact even when visible people don't see it. ISO1600 pics from today dSLRs like my K20 and I am sure the K-7 look clean printed even leaving noise in the pic to save detail. If people would print and compare everything would be different but we have these big monitors and that + button...

Last edited by jamesm007; 08-16-2009 at 11:17 PM.
08-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Using a high "fine" sharpness setting, in theory, wouldn't magnify the nosie as much.
Imo it's the opposite in theory too: fine sharpness magnifies the single dots of noise even more due to how fine sharpness works.

In my experience the issue is not really the noise itself, but the artifacts created from the noise by fine sharpening at high ISO. On many of my pics I wondered "what the hell are those strange artifacts??"... and realized that at some point in time I enabled fine sharpness by accident. Going back to the simple sharpening setting eliminated those artifacts.
08-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fulcrumx29 Quote
In low ISO like 100, fine sharpness is good to eliminate the dots.
??? What kind of "dots" are you talking about at low ISO? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I can't see any "dots" at low ISO...
08-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe we need a pic or two in order to show those "dots".

08-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Imo it's the opposite in theory too: fine sharpness magnifies the single dots of noise even more due to how fine sharpness works.
You're probably right; I was just speculating based on the reported results. Bottom line would seem to be, if you must shoot JPEG, then by all means, experiment with the various sharpness and NR settings to see which give you the results you like best. But expect the results will vary according to the ISO you shoot, the exposure, the nature of the scene, etc.

Really, if you care that much about it at this level of pixel peeping detail, you have no business shooting JPEG. Because the appearance of noise will vary from shot to shot according to all these variables, if you your goal is to minimize them, you need to shoot RAW and deal with it in PP.